Topics

NVDA performance in remote or virtual environments

Adriani Botez

Dear all,

I thought I start a discussion here on the performance topic in remote or virtual environments. Since I don’t really have experience with this yet, but I am starting to work on such an environment, maybe some one can help with some useful hints.

For my job a smooth performance is very crucial. I wonder, which environment delivers the best NVDA performance?

  • Virtual machine? Or
  • Remote connection via NVDA remote addon in a Citrix environment (i.e. with Unicorn DVC)?
  • Is there any other possibility which delivers good performance?

In a virtual environment, is there a difference in performance when using different software to create a virtual machine? I.e. Hyper-V, VMWare, Virtual Box or Citrox itself? If yes, which is the VM software that delivers the best performance so far?

I hope someone can help with some knowledge here.

Thank you very much and best regards

Adriani

Adriani Botez

Does anyone have any ideas?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 29.10.2020 um 22:50 schrieb adriani.botez@...:

[...]

Tim M

For what your trying to do make sure the desk or laptop has enough power.

Your looking for CPU's with 8 or more cores and high thread if you go vertual machine.

In either case make sure you have 32 gmb or better.The rest is what you like.

See vm's are power hogs and remotes can have lag. That is why you build for power.

Then all you have is software issues.

On 10/29/2020 5:50 PM, Adriani Botez wrote:
Dear all,

I thought I start a discussion here on the performance topic in remote or
virtual environments . . .

Adriani Botez

Thank you for the hints. Well, the laptop I am using for my work has definitely not 8 cores, it has only 4 and about 8 gb of ram. However, maybe there is some way to at least minimize the latency on the VM.

For what your trying to do make sure the desk or laptop has enough power.

Your looking for CPU's with 8 or more cores and high thread if you go vertual
machine.

In either case make sure you have 32 gmb or better.The rest is what you like.

See vm's are power hogs and remotes can have lag. That is why you build for
power.

Then all you have is software issues.

On 10/29/2020 5:50 PM, Adriani Botez wrote:
Dear all,

I thought I start a discussion here on the performance topic in remote
or virtual environments . . .

To be honest, if you only have 8gb ram, that may be your issue.

You really need another 8 to work right.

Put 4gb to the ram or 3gb to your vm, and unload anything you don't need and try.

I wouldn't try unless you had more ram.

The cores will be fine, 2 cores to the vm should be plenty.

What you may want to do if you can on the vm is to see if you can get a 32 bit version or even reformat and install a 32 bit os on the laptop then you can dedicate about 3gb to the os and 5 to the vm or have a 32 bit vm and not a 64 bit vm.

You really need another 8gb at least.

On 5/11/2020 10:41 am, Adriani Botez wrote:
Thank you for the hints. Well, the laptop I am using for my work has definitely not 8 cores, it has only 4 and about 8 gb of ram. However, maybe there is some way to at least minimize the latency on the VM.

For what your trying to do make sure the desk or laptop has enough power.

Your looking for CPU's with 8 or more cores and high thread if you go vertual
machine.

In either case make sure you have 32 gmb or better.The rest is what you like.

See vm's are power hogs and remotes can have lag. That is why you build for
power.

Then all you have is software issues.

On 10/29/2020 5:50 PM, Adriani Botez wrote:
Dear all,

I thought I start a discussion here on the performance topic in remote
or virtual environments . . .

.

Adriani Botez

Sorry I was not clear enough. The dedicated ram for the vm is 8 gb

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 04.11.2020 um 23:40 schrieb Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss>:

[...]

Christian Schoepplein

Hi Adrian,

the performance issues may also be related to the speed of your network connection. Do you connect to the remote system via a internal network or via internet connection? If you connect via internet, whats the maximum speed for uploads?

16 GB RAM is ofcourse better then only using a VM with only 8 GB of memory, but using Windows 10 native with 4 GB RAM and aditionaly a VM with also 4 GB of RAM should also be suficient. Does your machine have a SSD or a older harddisk which is not that fast?

Does the Windows in your VM react quickly and is only the remote access slow? If yes, the local hardware is not the problem.

Ciao,

Schoepp