Topics

nvda portable copy

marvin kotler

Good afternoon list; Marv here.  I have a question regarding the portable copy.  First, running windows 10.  Once the nvda portable is up and running, I have no button or menus like the installed copy.  What am I supposed to do? Any help would be appreciated; thanks in advance.

Roger Stewart

That's very odd. I had a portable copy on a thumb drive and I installed it just fine on my Win 10 machine. It's under Tools in the nvda menu.

Roger

On 3/5/2016 2:51 PM, marvin kotler wrote:
Good afternoon list; Marv here.  I have a question regarding the portable copy.  First, running windows 10.  Once the nvda portable is up and running, I have no button or menus like the installed copy.  What am I supposed to do? Any help would be appreciated; thanks in advance.

Gene

I don't know what you mean by not having a button or menu.  Are you using the commands from within the program such as NVDA n to open the menu?  As far as a button is concerned, I don't know what you are referring to.

I would suggest going through some basic information such as can be found in tutorials like the one here:

You will find links on this page to different sections of a tutorial that is well thought of by a lot of users.  You will also see descriptions of what the various sections are after the link to each section.

You may find information you want to know about for features you didn't know existed.  You may also find that it benefits you to learn in a more organized manner.

Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2016 2:51 PM
Subject: [nvda] nvda portable copy

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 12:51 pm, marvin kotler <m.kotler53@...> wrote:
I have no button or menus like the installed copy

Can you clarify this just a bit?  I'm not sure if you're saying that you can't access NVDA's own menus and settings or if it's not reading you Windows buttons and menus.

In any event, I'd just try re-creating the portable copy.  I just made a fresh one and it is behaving very similarly to the installed copy.  Something may have gone wrong during the previous portable copy creation or something could conceivably have been corrupted afterward.

Brian

Under Windows 10 one can determine which apps (or programs - these still get called apps from a Win10 standpoint) appear in the notification area (formerly known as the system tray).  Go to Settings -> System -> Notifications & Actions Pane then search for the link "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" and click it.  This will open a dialog that contains a long list of the various programs and apps each of which has what NVDA announces as a "Toggle Button" which is either "pressed" [on] or "not pressed" [off].

What gets tricky is that what's listed for NVDA is NVDA Application, two times since I have an installed and portable version, and I had no way of knowing which was which.  I simply turned one on to see if the NVDA icon remained visible when I was running it and, if it did I knew I had the right one.

Brian

marvin kotler

This is Marv here.  Well, first, running windows 10.  After getting the portable copy up and running, I put it in laptop mode instead of desktop mode.  The button did not show up in the system tray, but the keystrokes started working.  Well, being 63 years of age entitles me to some memory loss, lol.  Thanks for all of the help.  Recently, you wrote;

Sent: Saturday, March 05, 2016 2:39 PM
Subject: [nvda] Re: nvda portable copy