NVDA Portable Start

Howard Traxler

I have a portable copy of "NVDA on a thumb drive in a folder called NVDA211.  It contains NVDA version 2021.1.  When I shut down my installed NVDA, switch to the thumb drive and execute a batch file that starts the portable version, it starts in a command mode that does not accept commands; nor will it exit back to windows.  This does not seem normal to me.  Wonder how I can make it stay in windows when I start the portable?

Thanks.

Howard

How is NVDA invoked in that batch file?  And by that I mean please copy and paste the line from the batch file that fires up NVDA.

         ~ Vance Packard

Howard Traxler

Here's the batch file; only three lines:

@echo off
cd\nvda211
NVDA.exe

This is my second try.  First try did not have the cd command but just said:

@echo off
nvda211\NVDA.exe

Of course, that batch file is in the root of the thumb drive.

When I start NVDA using the Batch file, the (assumed) title bar says:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe

The rest of the screen appears to be blank.

Howard

On 11/27/2021 7:26 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
How is NVDA invoked in that batch file?  And by that I mean please copy and paste the line from the batch file that fires up NVDA.

*/The difference between a top-flight creative man and the hack is his ability to express powerful meanings indirectly./*

         ~ Vance Packard

Howard,

A typical invocation of NVDA (installed version0 using the desktop icon it sets up when you ask for one is:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\nvda_slave.exe" launchNVDA -r

I have checked a portable instance of NVDA that I have on my jump drive, and nvda_slave.exe is a part of the portable setup.

Thus, presuming your jump drive has the drive letter P, and that the root of the NVDA portable folder structure is nvda211, I would put the following in the script:

P:\nvda211\nvda_slave.exe launchNVDA -r

Just look to make sure that the nvda_slave.exe file exists at the location you specify for the full path leading up to the rest of the command.

I just tried this, with the correct path, of course, for my portable copy from a command prompt and it works like a charm.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

I’m not sure what is going on.  When you say it won’t exit to Windows, have you tried typing exit and pressing enter?  While convenient, you don’t have to use a batch file.  If necessary, I’ll discuss how to run NVDA without one.

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 7:09 PM
To: NVDA
Subject: [nvda] NVDA Portable Start

I have a portable copy of "NVDA on a thumb drive in a folder called
NVDA211.  It contains NVDA version 2021.1.  When I shut down my
installed NVDA, switch to the thumb drive and execute a batch file that
starts the portable version, it starts in a command mode that does not
accept commands; nor will it exit back to windows.  This does not seem
normal to me.  Wonder how I can make it stay in windows when I start the
portable?

Thanks.

Howard

Gene

I tried doing what you do and it runs the terminal, which I know nothing about.  I closed it in the following way:
I opened the system menu with alt space.  I either down arrowed or up arrowed to close and pressed enter.  The terminal closed and I was back in Windows.  You can also use c in the menu to close the terminal instead of arrowing to close, as follows:
alt space
type c.

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 7:09 PM
To: NVDA

I have a portable copy of "NVDA on a thumb drive in a folder called
NVDA211.  It contains NVDA version 2021.1.  When I shut down my
installed NVDA, switch to the thumb drive and execute a batch file that
starts the portable version, it starts in a command mode that does not
accept commands; nor will it exit back to windows.  This does not seem
normal to me.  Wonder how I can make it stay in windows when I start the
portable?

Thanks.

Howard

Thats a problem really.
Yeah, there is no way to actually do this with aditional mucking about.
You can use nircmd or other program to run your batch file.
You can run them with a script.
You can run them from a shortcut.
You can run and edit a shortcut to hide or minimise a window.
You can run the batch file normally, then once nvda is running hit alt f4.
You can just type x:\nvda211\nvda into run as long as you know the drive letter.

[...]

OK and thanks, Brian.  One (or three) questions:

Does the slave comend preceed, follow, or replace the call to nvda.exe?  and must that first part be in quotations?

Thanks for your help.

Howard

On 11/27/2021 7:59 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

I think I did an Alt F4 in that terminal window and it closed.  Not sure.

Howard

On 11/27/2021 9:54 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

I really doubt it, though you can try again and see.  It doesn’t work here and, though I’m using Windows 7, I don’t think there would be any difference.

Others with more technical knowledge may want to discuss this, but I think that, whatever is opened, it is related to the command prompt, which can’t be closed with alt f4.

Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 11:35 PM

I think I did an Alt F4 in that terminal window and it closed.  Not sure.

Howard

On 11/27/2021 9:54 PM, Gene wrote:
> I tried doing what you do and it runs the terminal, which I know
> nothing about.  I closed it in the following way:
> I opened the system menu with alt space.  I either down arrowed or up
> arrowed to close and pressed enter.  The terminal closed and I was
> back in Windows.  You can also use c in the menu to close the terminal
> instead of arrowing to close, as follows:
> alt space
> type c.
> Gene

Howard Traxler

Yes, typing exit is the one that doesn't work.  I think I found that alt F4 closes that window.

Someone (can't remember who it was) directed me to create a batch file because windows no longer recognizes autorun.inf.  I had the whole NVDA in the root of the thumb drive.  But now, since I want to be able to choose from two versions of NVDA, I'm putting each in his own folder.  So I will create a batch file for each version 21.1 and 21.2.

The name of the thumb drive is 1.  So, without any speech running, I can do windows e to open this pc; then another 1 to go to the thumb drive.  Enter to open it and do 1, enter or 2, enter to start the NVDA choice.

I think this should work on a machine that has no speech installed.

Howard

On 11/27/2021 9:33 PM, Gene wrote:
I’m not sure what is going on.  When you say it won’t exit to Windows, have you tried typing exit and pressing enter?  While convenient, you don’t have to use a batch file.  If necessary, I’ll discuss how to run NVDA without one.
I have a portable copy of "NVDA on a thumb drive in a folder called
NVDA211.  It contains NVDA version 2021.1.  When I shut down my
installed NVDA, switch to the thumb drive and execute a batch file that
starts the portable version, it starts in a command mode that does not
accept commands; nor will it exit back to windows.  This does not seem
normal to me.  Wonder how I can make it stay in windows when I start the
portable?

Thanks.

Howard

Gene

I can’t tell from what you write whether you plan to use the batch file on one machine or many machines.  You don’t know what letter is going to be assigned to the thumb drive on different machines.  And the machine or machines do have speech installed.  You can run Narrator, manually run NVDA, then close Narrator.  There is no harm in having both screen-readers running at the same time until you close Narrator.

A batch file will only work if a machine assigns the same letter to the thumb drive as you have the batch file set for.  You should use Narrator, not a batch file, unless you intend to run the portable only on the same machine so you know the letter is the same.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 4:09 AM

Yes, typing exit is the one that doesn't work.  I think I found that alt
F4 closes that window.

Someone (can't remember who it was) directed me to create a batch file
because windows no longer recognizes autorun.inf.  I had the whole NVDA
in the root of the thumb drive.  But now, since I want to be able to
choose from two versions of NVDA, I'm putting each in his own folder.
So I will create a batch file for each version 21.1 and 21.2.

The name of the thumb drive is 1.  So, without any speech running, I can
do windows e to open this pc; then another 1 to go to the thumb drive.
Enter to open it and do 1, enter or 2, enter to start the NVDA choice.

I think this should work on a machine that has no speech installed.

Howard

On 11/27/2021 9:33 PM, Gene wrote:
> I’m not sure what is going on.  When you say it won’t exit to Windows,
> have you tried typing exit and pressing enter?  While convenient, you
> don’t have to use a batch file.  If necessary, I’ll discuss how to run
> NVDA without one.
> Gene

Chris Mullins

Hi

Yes it does run the terminal as batch files are essentially a series of DOS commands that require that environment to run.  The following will start the specified program and exit the command prompt environment:

@echo off

start <full pathname including drive letter>

Exit

Example:

@echo off

start %windir%\system32\notepad.exe

exit

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

On 28/11/2021, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> I tried doing what you do and it runs the terminal, which I know nothing

> about.  I closed it in the following way:

> I opened the system menu with alt space.  I either down arrowed or up

> arrowed to close and pressed enter.  The terminal closed and I was back in

> Windows.  You can also use c in the menu to close the terminal instead of

> arrowing to close, as follows:

> alt space

> type c.

> Gene

Gene

I find this subject interesting but I'm not sure if it should continue here or on the chat list.  My experience is that if I write a batch file to run something, I don't get stuck in the terminal.  Whatever runs closes automatically.

I just tested this by creating a batch file to run MP3 Direct Cut.  Whatever the environment is, It runs and then automatically closes.  I haven't created many batch files to run programs but the ones I have work like that with the exception of NVDA.  Does NVDA run in some unusual way, perhaps related to Python that causes the terminal window not to close?

Gene

On 11/28/2021 6:16 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

Hi

Yes it does run the terminal as batch files are essentially a series of DOS commands that require that environment to run.  The following will start the specified program and exit the command prompt environment:

@echo off

start <full pathname including drive letter>

Exit

Example:

@echo off

start %windir%\system32\notepad.exe

exit

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

Yeah, there is no way to actually do this with aditional mucking about.

You can use nircmd or other program to run your batch file.

You can run them with a script.

You can run them from a shortcut.

You can run and edit a shortcut to hide or minimise a window.

You can run the batch file normally, then once nvda is running hit alt f4.

You can just type x:\nvda211\nvda into run as long as you know the drive letter.

On 28/11/2021, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> I tried doing what you do and it runs the terminal, which I know nothing

> about.  I closed it in the following way:

> I opened the system menu with alt space.  I either down arrowed or up

> arrowed to close and pressed enter.  The terminal closed and I was back in

> Windows.  You can also use c in the menu to close the terminal instead of

> arrowing to close, as follows:

> alt space

> type c.

> Gene

Chris Mullins

Hi

In a previous message I  posted:

@echo off

start <full path including drive letter>

Exit

I have subsequently found that the start command will launch the program in the filepath without waiting for it to terminate and exit the command prompt but this only occurs if the program being launched is a windowed application, otherwise the command prompt window will not close until the launched program has terminated.  Gene mentioned that he had successfully launched MP3 Direct Cut as I did Notepad and that would be because both of these programs have a GUI.

The following batch file content worked fine for me, in that it launched NVDA and closed the command prompt window:

@echo off

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\nvda_slave.exe" launchNVDA -r

Howard asked about the filepath bing in quotes.  In the example above the filepath has to be in quotes because it contains a space.  If the whole filepath is an unbroken character string, you do not require quotes.  This harks back to the days of DOS when spaces were not allowed in folder/file names.  When Windows eventually allowed folder/file names to contain spaces, quotes were introduced to delimit the filepath so that older command parsers could still work with the new formats for folder/file names.

Apologies for supplying the misleading information.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

Yeah, there is no way to actually do this with aditional mucking about.

You can use nircmd or other program to run your batch file.

You can run them with a script.

You can run them from a shortcut.

You can run and edit a shortcut to hide or minimise a window.

You can run the batch file normally, then once nvda is running hit alt f4.

You can just type x:\nvda211\nvda into run as long as you know the drive letter.

On 28/11/2021, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

> I tried doing what you do and it runs the terminal, which I know nothing

> about.  I closed it in the following way:

> I opened the system menu with alt space.  I either down arrowed or up

> arrowed to close and pressed enter.  The terminal closed and I was back in

> Windows.  You can also use c in the menu to close the terminal instead of

> arrowing to close, as follows:

> alt space

> type c.

> Gene

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 12:29 AM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Does the slave command preceed, follow, or replace the call to nvda.exe?
-
A lot of this territory seems to have been covered, but it replaces it.  Based on what I can literally see when using a script with nvda_slave.exe in it, that clearly calls NVDA and, regardless of the result (which has always been success for me), exits and that allows the command prompt itself to exit.

NVDA.exe does not exit, it is what runs NVDA, and so long as its running control is not returned to the command prompt to allow it to do anything else.  NVDA does not get invoked asynchronously by default.  As Chris Mullins noted, one could elect to use the start command to force an asynchronous process for NVDA to be started and control promptly returned to the command prompt.

I elected not to do this simply because if NVAccess uses nvda_slave to invoke NVDA, and that always works, copying that method seemed to be the wisest path of action to me.

         ~ Vance Packard

Howard Traxler

Sorry Gene, I should have explained further:

In the past couple months I've been getting help to get a new machine (that doesn't have any speech)started, to reinstall windows and then load NVDA.

So I'm making a set of startup thumb drives to get the system started and and run the reinstall software, then NVDA.  Or maybe it should be NVDA first, then reinstall.

I used a utility to create bootable (reinstall) thumb drives, both 32 and 64 (so I could use it on other computers.  Cant remember the name of that utility (probably you know) and can't find it on my hard drive.

Someone gave me the hint, that if I label the thumb drive with something like 1, I can go to it directly by opening "this pc" and typing 1.  Then executing the batch file that starts NVDA.  That way, I don't need to know the letter of thedrive.  It works.

The only problem that remains is to make sure the machine boots from  the USB port.  I have a friend coming over (some time) to help me with the CMOS setup.

That gets a little windy, but I think it explains what I'm tryng to do.  Thank you, Gene, for offerring your assist.

Howard

On 11/28/2021 5:22 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Chris, it appeared that I should add the exit command to my batch.  So I did and it still ended in the terminal mode.  Alt F4 does close it.

Howard

[...]

I’ll let those who have done what you are doing or know more about it discuss it further.  Perhaps your explanation will result in helpful discussion.

Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 1:06 PM

Sorry Gene, I should have explained further:

In the past couple months I've been getting help to get a new machine
(that doesn't have any speech)started, to reinstall windows and then
load NVDA.

So I'm making a set of startup thumb drives to get the system started
and and run the reinstall software, then NVDA.  Or maybe it should be
NVDA first, then reinstall.

I used a utility to create bootable (reinstall) thumb drives, both 32
and 64 (so I could use it on other computers.  Cant remember the name of
that utility (probably you know) and can't find it on my hard drive.

Someone gave me the hint, that if I label the thumb drive with something
like 1, I can go to it directly by opening "this pc" and typing 1.  Then
executing the batch file that starts NVDA.  That way, I don't need to
know the letter of thedrive.  It works.

The only problem that remains is to make sure the machine boots from
the USB port.  I have a friend coming over (some time) to help me with
the CMOS setup.

That gets a little windy, but I think it explains what I'm tryng to do.
Thank you, Gene, for offerring your assist.

Howard
On 11/28/2021 5:22 AM, Gene wrote:
> I can’t tell from what you write whether you plan to use the batch
> file on one machine or many machines.  You don’t know what letter is
> going to be assigned to the thumb drive on different machines.  And
> the machine or machines do have speech installed.  You can run
> Narrator, manually run NVDA, then close Narrator.  There is no harm in
> having both screen-readers running at the same time until you close
> Narrator.
> A batch file will only work if a machine assigns the same letter to
> the thumb drive as you have the batch file set for.  You should use
> Narrator, not a batch file, unless you intend to run the portable only
> on the same machine so you know the letter is the same.
> Gene

Steve Nutt

Hi,

You need a space between the CD and the backslash like this

Cd c:\ etc.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services