NVDA quirk with the Bookshare Web page

Larry Higgins

Listers,

I've lately noticed a quirk with NVDA when using the H to go through the book title headers, in that NVDA will ignore the very first header, and start with the second book title header, making it necessary to use the shift+H to move back to the first one. This doesn't happen with either JFW or my standby Window-Eyes. Anybody besides me notice this issue?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

If you visit this page frequently, try clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes the issue.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.
     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Larry Higgins

Nope, gave that a go, and no luck.

I forgot to mention, or to even remember, that I had made that particular page of new book listings into an app. I thought that might have made some kind of a difference, so I tried bringing it up within the browser itself, but this doesn't solve the problem.

Who knows, this may go toward fixing another irritation, that of links showing up from a previous page when using the next page link, but this is an entirely different issue. NVDA simply skips over the first book heading, making it necessary to shift backward to see the first book title heading.

This isn't what I would call a major issue, but simply a nuisance I hope can be fixed..

Thanks,

Larry

On 5/1/2022 11:19 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Subject:
Re: [nvda] NVDA quirk with the Bookshare Web page
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
Date:
5/1/2022, 11:19 AM
To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Larry,

If you visit this page frequently, try clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes the issue.
--

You can't crush ideas by suppressing them. You can only crush them by ignoring them.

Larry Higgins

Brian, Just to tie up a loose end, the same thing happens with the NLS BARD page. NVDA simply skips over the first book title heading. The only difference from one listing vs the other is that BARD uses heading 4, where Bookshare uses heading 2.

On 5/1/2022 3:29 PM, Larry Higgins via groups.io wrote:

Nope, gave that a go, and no luck.

I forgot to mention, or to even remember, that I had made that particular page of new book listings into an app. I thought that might have made some kind of a difference, so I tried bringing it up within the browser itself, but this doesn't solve the problem.

Who knows, this may go toward fixing another irritation, that of links showing up from a previous page when using the next page link, but this is an entirely different issue. NVDA simply skips over the first book heading, making it necessary to shift backward to see the first book title heading.

This isn't what I would call a major issue, but simply a nuisance I hope can be fixed..

Thanks,

Larry

On 5/1/2022 11:19 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Subject:
Re: [nvda] NVDA quirk with the Bookshare Web page
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
Date:
5/1/2022, 11:19 AM
To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Larry,

--

Larry,

Interesting.  I hope you get some other reports regarding the experiences of regular BARD users on these sites with NVDA.
--

Sanjog Kumawat

Hello,

I am user of Bookshare. I am unable to reproduce the same issue which is mentioned in the emails. In my case, NVDA does not skip any headings. I tried searching for different books but it always reports all the headings.

I am using NVDA 2021.5, Firefox 99.0.1, and Windows 11 latest version. I also tried this with other browsers but everything is fine.

Since I also work in Bookshare, it will be good to send me a detailed explanation of the issue as well as a video of the issue if possible, to my email address – sanjogk@.... I can at least verify with my team if it is something from our side.

With Best Regards,

Sanjog Kumawat

Membership Support [Asia & Africa].

Contact us: +919284028466

Alternate Helpline number: +919650211575

[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]

Helpline Email ID: membership-india@...

Benetech

480 S. California Ave., Suite 201,

Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609, USA.

Bookshare Helpline - Asia & Africa

Contact us: +919650211575 

Alternate Helpline number: +919284028466

[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]:

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 02 May 2022 02:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA quirk with the Bookshare Web page

Larry,

Interesting.  I hope you get some other reports regarding the experiences of regular BARD users on these sites with NVDA.
--

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Interesting because headers have never worked for me. I just hit b to get to the download button then down arrow.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2022 10:19 AM

Larry,

--

Larry Higgins

Sanjog,

First of all, sorry about not getting back on this issue much sooner. Was looking for something else, and happen to notice your response.

I take it that you understand precisely the issue. This wouldn't be apparent if I hadn't almost by accident, tried doing a shift+h to go back after at first doing the H2 combination in order to find the first book title on a page of listings. If you shift+h backward, this issue might present itself.

If you did  correctly understand what I said originally, I apologize for my own misunderstanding. Sorry I don't immediately have a way of providing a video.

As I said before, this isn't what I would call a major issue, just a bit of an irritant. 

Sincerely,

Larry

On 5/1/2022 11:11 PM, Sanjog Kumawat wrote:

Hello,

I am user of Bookshare. I am unable to reproduce the same issue which is mentioned in the emails. In my case, NVDA does not skip any headings. I tried searching for different books but it always reports all the headings.

I am using NVDA 2021.5, Firefox 99.0.1, and Windows 11 latest version. I also tried this with other browsers but everything is fine.

Since I also work in Bookshare, it will be good to send me a detailed explanation of the issue as well as a video of the issue if possible, to my email address – sanjogk@.... I can at least verify with my team if it is something from our side.

With Best Regards,

Sanjog Kumawat

Membership Support [Asia & Africa].

Contact us: +919284028466

Alternate Helpline number: +919650211575

[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]

Benetech

480 S. California Ave., Suite 201,

Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609, USA.

Bookshare Helpline - Asia & Africa

Contact us: +919650211575 

Alternate Helpline number: +919284028466

[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]:

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: 02 May 2022 02:51
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Larry,

--

Luke Davis

Larry Higgins wrote:

doing the H2 combination in order to find the first book title on a page of listings.
What is the H2 combination?

H, followed by 2, means: go to the first heading. Now, go away from it, and to the next heading at level 2.

Luke

Gene

If you want to move to the next heading, use h, which moves you to the next heading, no matter what level it is.  If you want to go the the next heading of a certain level, use only the number key designated to move to that heading level.

I'm stating what you are discussing in a more expanded and lengthy way in case that helps clarify what you are talking about.  You may have figured out the problem.

Gene

On 5/8/2022 7:30 PM, Luke Davis wrote:
Larry Higgins wrote:

doing the H2 combination in order to find the first book title on a page of listings.

What is the H2 combination?

H, followed by 2, means: go to the first heading. Now, go away from it, and to the next heading at level 2.

Luke

Luke Davis

Larry

I have access to BARD, so I just tried this there.

In the search, I entered "Neal Asher".

Upon pressing Go, NVDA automatically started reading the page. The very first thing on the page, is a heading at level 1, called "BARD books containing keyword: Neal Asher".

Obviously that header is going to get skipped, because it's already read by the time you press any navigation key, if you have pages set to read on initial load.

If I press H enough times, I eventually get: "In the author (5 audio books) heading level 2".

The next press of H is "Heading level 4 Dark Intelligence DB81058.".
Shift+H from there is back to the "In the author" heading.

Re-loading the page, starting from the top, using 4 to navigate, the first heading is, again, "Dark Intelligence".

However...

Performing the search again, at least in Firefox, takes me right to the first heading 4: "Dark Intelligence". Therefore, if I press 4 without listening, I am taken to the second title heading. If I then press Shift+4, I get the first title as expected.

So to an extent, I can replicate your problem. I believe it is the browser caching where I was on the page last.

I then tried another search: "Charles Stanley".

For this, pressing 4 did actually take me to the first title.

Searching again for "Neal Asher", now also had 4 take me to the first title as expected. But, as before, if I immediately searched for "Neal Asher" again, the page started reading at the first title, and pressing 4 would take me to the second.

So this seems like some kind of helpful browser feature, that takes you back to where you were last reading.

Just to be sure, I went to the third title listed on the Neal Asher page: "Rise of the Jain...". Sure enough, when I performed the Asher search again, I was taken to that title, and 4 jumped me to the fourth title, bypassing the first three.
It hadn't bypassed anything in fact, it is just that Firefox is taking me back to the section I was last in when I left this page.

At least, I think that's what is happening. I can't duplicate it with Narrator, but Narrator's web handling is rather brain dead, so it may be that it doesn't follow what the browser is doing, and forces a start at the top.
Then again you said it isn't happening in Jaws or WinEyes, so perhaps there is an NVDA factor here. But still, i don't think it's a bug.

Luke