NVDA quirk with the Bookshare Web page

Larry Higgins

Listers,

I've lately noticed a quirk with NVDA when using the H to go through the book title headers, in that NVDA will ignore the very first header, and start with the second book title header, making it necessary to use the shift+H to move back to the first one. This doesn't happen with either JFW or my standby Window-Eyes. Anybody besides me notice this issue?

Thanks,

Larry

Larry,

If you visit this page frequently, try clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes the issue.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Larry Higgins

Nope, gave that a go, and no luck.

I forgot to mention, or to even remember, that I had made that particular page of new book listings into an app. I thought that might have made some kind of a difference, so I tried bringing it up within the browser itself, but this doesn't solve the problem.

Who knows, this may go toward fixing another irritation, that of links showing up from a previous page when using the next page link, but this is an entirely different issue. NVDA simply skips over the first book heading, making it necessary to shift backward to see the first book title heading.

This isn't what I would call a major issue, but simply a nuisance I hope can be fixed..

Thanks,

Larry

On 5/1/2022 11:19 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Re: [nvda] NVDA quirk with the Bookshare Web page
From:
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
Date:
5/1/2022, 11:19 AM
To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Larry,

If you visit this page frequently, try clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes the issue.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Larry Higgins

Brian, Just to tie up a loose end, the same thing happens with the NLS BARD page. NVDA simply skips over the first book title heading. The only difference from one listing vs the other is that BARD uses heading 4, where Bookshare uses heading 2.

On 5/1/2022 3:29 PM, Larry Higgins via groups.io wrote:

Nope, gave that a go, and no luck.

I forgot to mention, or to even remember, that I had made that particular page of new book listings into an app. I thought that might have made some kind of a difference, so I tried bringing it up within the browser itself, but this doesn't solve the problem.

Who knows, this may go toward fixing another irritation, that of links showing up from a previous page when using the next page link, but this is an entirely different issue. NVDA simply skips over the first book heading, making it necessary to shift backward to see the first book title heading.

This isn't what I would call a major issue, but simply a nuisance I hope can be fixed..

Thanks,

Larry

On 5/1/2022 11:19 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Re: [nvda] NVDA quirk with the Bookshare Web page
From:
"Brian Vogel" <britechguy@...>
Date:
5/1/2022, 11:19 AM
To:
nvda@nvda.groups.io

Larry,

If you visit this page frequently, try clearing your browser cache and see if that fixes the issue.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Larry,

Interesting.  I hope you get some other reports regarding the experiences of regular BARD users on these sites with NVDA.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Sanjog Kumawat

Hello,

I am user of Bookshare. I am unable to reproduce the same issue which is mentioned in the emails. In my case, NVDA does not skip any headings. I tried searching for different books but it always reports all the headings.

I am using NVDA 2021.5, Firefox 99.0.1, and Windows 11 latest version. I also tried this with other browsers but everything is fine.

Since I also work in Bookshare, it will be good to send me a detailed explanation of the issue as well as a video of the issue if possible, to my email address – sanjogk@.... I can at least verify with my team if it is something from our side.

With Best Regards,

Sanjog Kumawat

Membership Support [Asia & Africa].

Contact us: +919284028466

Alternate Helpline number: +919650211575

[Mobile, WhatsApp and Google Duo]

Helpline Email ID: membership-india@...

Benetech

480 S. California Ave., Suite 201,

Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609, USA.

Bookshare Helpline - Asia & Africa

Contact us: +919650211575

Alternate Helpline number: +919284028466

Website: www.bookshare.org

Interesting.  I hope you get some other reports regarding the experiences of regular BARD users on these sites with NVDA.

     ~ Ursula LeGuin, The Dispossessed

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Interesting because headers have never worked for me. I just hit b to get to the download button then down arrow.