NVDA Remote 2.4 Faulty with 2021.3.1 and Below.

Nermin

Hi all,

a friend of mine and I are using NVDA to remote a PC that is streaming audio over TeamTalk. The machine in question is a Dell XPS13 on Windows 10 21H1, and, due to the add-on incompatibility with NVDA 2021.X, still using NVDA 2020.4.

Whenever I try updating the add-on to version 2.4, I am basically locked out of the laptop in question, since there is a PIN or security dialogue in place.
With v 2.3 of the add-on, I can always enter the PIN with no problem whatsoever.

As soon as we update the add-on to make way for a new NVDA installation, I can only access the machine so long as there is no UAC-related dialogue or the laptop does not go into screen lock mode.

Has anyone seen this and is there a fix?

I've contacted the developers on their e-mail address, but no answer whatsoever. I've also tried searching the Github page, but nobody seems to have that issue.

We've tried uninstalling both NVDA, the add-on, also cleared the "use current settings for logon" and copied that over again, none of which did anythingto resolve the issue. We've also used other laptops to tap into the system, but every laptop produced the same result.

Any idea is welcome, or if anyone knows of current ways to reach the developers, please post.

I know that the UAC comes up and wants a PIN cause I can hear it on TeamTalk, but that part does not handshake with my system for some reason and I cannot
enter anything, as if there were no connection.

Regards,
Nermin

On Wed, Dec 22, 2021 at 05:41 PM, Nermin wrote:
Any idea is welcome,
-
Since you say this, is the person "on the other end" able to enter the requested PIN?   I know it's not a long term solution, but it does not sound like this is a situation where unattended access is what's being attempted, so the person on the other end should be able to be on the phone at the same time and enter what you need them to.

That may be your only quick workaround.

        ~ Dorothy Nevill

Nermin

Hi Brian,

it's an unattended system for a longer period of time, and whenever she's in front of it, she can enter anything normally of course.

If there's no solution to this, we'll just not update NVDA right now and leave it at the last version known to work with NVDA Remote 2.3.

Regards,

Nermin

Tyler Spivey

Try compiling the latest git master. That should fix it.

On 12/22/2021 2:36 PM, Nermin via groups.io wrote:
[...]

I'd love to, but I'm neither signed up with Github nor do I have any compiler.

Tyler Spivey

On 1/10/2022 9:53 PM, Nermin via groups.io wrote:
Hi,
I'd love to, but I'm neither signed up with Github nor do I have any compiler.

Nermin

Hi,

Got it, thanks a bunch!

Do you know what caused this weird issue in the first place?

Will test it once my friend gets back from work.

Regards,

Nermin

Nermin

Hi, Tyler,

I took the plunge to test it while connected to the machine with my friend not present.

I updated the add-on, copied the settings over to be used for UAC and security prompts, then went ahead and updated NVDA on the machine in question.

All seems to be working fine, both with UAC dialogues as well as the security check for entering a PIN.

Thanks,

Nermin

Nermin

Hi, Tyler,

we've done a lot of testing and everything works as expected.

Is this version going to be put up on the regular add-on site, or do I just keep it for archiving purposes locally?

Thanks again for the fix,

Nermin