Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 3:18 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA's normal navigation mode

Hi can someone explain to me what is the commands to toggle on or off the NVDA’s normal navigation mode please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Chris Smart

Please press NVDA+N, followed by H for "Help", and U for "User Guide." In the browser window which opens, navigate to the level 2 heading that says:

"5. Navigating with NVDA".

Start reading from that point.

Or, press NVDA+N, followed by H for "Help", and Q for "Commands, Quick Reference." In the browser window which opens, navigate to the level 2 heading that says "Navigating with NVDA." Start reading from there.

Chris

On 2021-05-28 4:18 a.m., anthony borg wrote:

Hi can someone explain to me what is the commands to toggle on or off the NVDA’s normal navigation mode please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

anthony borg

Hi gene

I am referring to the internet and brouser mode. Sorry if I wasn’t very clear with what I was asking.

Regards

Anthony

It isn’t clear what you are asking about.  Are you asking about navigating using what in JAWS would be called the PC cursor?  You may be asking about the Internet and browse mode but that should be clarified.

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 3:18 AM

Hi can someone explain to me what is the commands to toggle on or off the NVDA’s normal navigation mode please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Gene

NVDA space toggles browse mode off and on.  But if you are using sound for the notification, I don’t know which sound means what and I don’t like using sounds instead of speech in such ways.  I have NVDA set to say browse mode when it is on and focus mode when it is off.  If you want to change from sound to speech, I’ll explain how to do it.

Also, by default, NVDA automatically changes from Browse Mode to focus mode and back again depending on what structures you move to in a web page and how you move.

I am very much against this being default behavior.  I think it is confusing to new students of NVDA and causes them to concentrate on learning when the automatic changes occur when what they should be concentrating on is when to use which mode.  Manually changing from mode to mode, in my opinion, helps create understanding and helps concentration be on what it should be on, not a secondary consideration.

You can change this behavior as well, if you want.

It isn’t clear what you are asking about.  Are you asking about navigating using what in JAWS would be called the PC cursor?  You may be asking about the Internet and browse mode but that should be clarified.

Hi can someone explain to me what is the commands to toggle on or off the NVDA’s normal navigation mode please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Chris Smart

Maybe you're asking about this?

Toggle browse/focus modes: NVDA+Space.
NVDA+space

On 2021-05-28 10:29 a.m., anthony borg wrote:

Hi gene

I am referring to the internet and brouser mode. Sorry if I wasn’t very clear with what I was asking.

Regards

Anthony

It isn’t clear what you are asking about.  Are you asking about navigating using what in JAWS would be called the PC cursor?  You may be asking about the Internet and browse mode but that should be clarified.

Hi can someone explain to me what is the commands to toggle on or off the NVDA’s normal navigation mode please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Sarah k Alawami

The typing sound means focused mode, the bop noise means browse mode, it makes sense actually.

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 3:18 AM

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 11:06 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
The typing sound means focused mode, the bop noise means browse mode, it makes sense actually.
-
I agree, and I prefer it this way.  There's enough verbosity to deal with otherwise.

But, like so many things, the default can be changed if one wishes it so.  Some default needs to be picked regardless of what it may be.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

If it were a typing sound, it might make more sense.  But it is something like a high pitched camera sound you might heare on a phone.  It doesn’t have any association with a mode and I find the sound to be grating and annoying.

Also, for those learning NVDA, I don’t think sound should be used.  Repetition is important in learning and hearing actual words would help those learning both become more aware of the terms and perhaps be more aware of when they are in which mode.

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 10:06 AM

The typing sound means focused mode, the bop noise means browse mode, it makes sense actually.

I am referring to the internet and brouser mode. Sorry if I wasn’t very clear with what I was asking.

Regards

Anthony

It isn’t clear what you are asking about.  Are you asking about navigating using what in JAWS would be called the PC cursor?  You may be asking about the Internet and browse mode but that should be clarified.

Hi can someone explain to me what is the commands to toggle on or off the NVDA’s normal navigation mode please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Chris Smart

The sounds is simply another indicator of what is going on. Do the sounds associated with forms mode in Jaws bug you as well?

I hear two things in the higher pitched sound. A manual typewriter key sound, and a short square wave tone at around 1,400 Hz, or 6th octave F. the other sound for that toggle appears to be simply a short square wave at 440 Hz or rth octave A.

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 10:06 AM

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 10:06 AM

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 10:06 AM

The typing sound means focused mode, the bop noise means browse mode, it makes sense actually.

I am referring to the internet and brouser mode. Sorry if I wasn’t very clear with what I was asking.

Regards

Anthony

It isn’t clear what you are asking about.  Are you asking about navigating using what in JAWS would be called the PC cursor?  You may be asking about the Internet and browse mode but that should be clarified.

Hi can someone explain to me what is the commands to toggle on or off the NVDA’s normal navigation mode please?

Thanks in advance

Anthony

Arlene

Yes, it should be an option. If you want the word spoken then you should have the option to have it say it. Or set the sound to that if you are not a beginner using NVDA.Or, if you are a beginner to NVDA. Yes NVDA rocks! What I’ve always liked about it is this! You can add your addons as you like not pay for it with them added.  If you are not a computer coder then you don’t need them where as if you pay for an expensive screen reader you pay for them weather you want them or not.  Same with the voices. I like how you are given the choice to buy them and add them to NVDA. I like how you are given the choice to add the things you want as you choose.  I hope these words are right. I don’t want to ruffle people’s feathers.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10