Topics

NVDA say all command not working.

Eric Hofman

Hi All

I have a client who is using the latest version of NVDA on a Windows 10 Laptop with Office 2016.

The client is reasonably proficient with using NVDA and reports that when attempting to use the “SAY ALL” ( INSERT+DOWN ARROW ) in word, Outlook, notepad various other programs, that the command fails to read to the end of the Page or Document from the currently focused point. The client states it will usually read to the end of the line, sentence, or paragraph and that repeating the command will prompt NVDA to continue reading but again not to the end as expected.

This issue is reported to me as having been occurring for approximately 4 to 6 weeks, So has survived several system reboots. I have ensured via phone that the client is using the latest version and currently there are no updates available for the client.

I have been unable to reproduce this issue on a test system or my work system with the latest version or the previous versions of NVDA. Reset to factory defaults would be the next obvious step but I would like to know if this is a known issue or if there is some way of resolving this without a reset to defaults.

Any advice or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Eric Hofman

Eric Hofman
AT Helpdesk Support Officer
Commercial & National Services
Vision Australia
373 Old Cleveland Road Coorparoo QLD 4151

T: +617 3727 2230 (I: 701230)
E: Eric.Hofman@...
www.visionaustralia.org

Vision Australia. Blindness. Low Vision.  Opportunity. - logo

Vision Australia. Winner of the Australian HR Award for Best Workplace Diversity and Inclusion Program. - logo

The history, culture, diversity and value of all Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are recognised, acknowledged and respected.

Hello Eric,

First, welcome to NVDA users list.

If you don’t mind, can you pass on the following message to your client please:

Hi,

This is Joseph Lee, one of the developers of NVDA screen reader.

I heard from a person you work with that say all command (NVDA+down arrow) isn’t working for you all the way. This might be caused by one or more of the following:

  • Which key you are pressing: many desktop keyboards (and some laptops) come with two arrow keys: the regular arrow keys, and the set as part of the Numpad. I’m thinking that you might be pressing the Numpad down arrow key with NVDA key, which performs a completely different action. Unless otherwise stated, when NvDA people talk about arrow keys, we usually refer to regular arrow keys.
  • Keyboard layout: NVDA comes with two keyboard layouts to suit the needs of desktop and laptop keyboard users. I’m thinking that somehow you may have switched to laptop keyboard layout. To confirm this, press Control+NVDA+K, then see what the keyboard layout is (the first combo box from keyboard settings).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Gene

Try running it with all add-ons disabled.  Do you know how to restart NVdA with all add-ons disabled?  that should be tried before reverting to factory defaults. I'll discuss that in another message if necessary.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 5:49 PM

[...]

Hi Joseph

Thank you so much the warm welcome and for taking the time to assist with this issue.

·       I have confirmed with the client that they were using the “Down arrow key” as opposed to the NUMPAD “down arrow”. Unfortunately I neglected to state this in my original message, please accept my apologies for that oversight.

I confirmed they are using a desktop keyboard and believe that their NVDA config is set to desktop keyboard but I will contact and confirm this and relay your message.

Thank you again for your time and assistance with this issue.

Kind regards

Eric Hofman

[...]

Hi Eric,

Is your client using any NVDA add-ons at the moment? If yes, it might be possible that a recent add-on update may have contributed to this problem. If it turns out add-ons might be to blame, have your client follow Gene’s advice of restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled and see if that makes a difference.

[...]

Hi Gene

Thank you for your time and suggestion, I will contact the client and try this suggestion. I am familiar with the process of restarting with addons disabled.

Many thanks

Eric Hofman

Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2019 5:49 PM

[...]

But first, check the keyboard layout.

Gene

[...]

Vlad Dragomir

Hello Eric,

If  your client is using the Vocalize voices add-on sold by Code Factory, please let them know that the problem comes from that add-on. It might be a good idea if he/she could write them and ask them to solve this problem. It’s been around for the last two months or so.

Hope this helped a bit. Most sincerely,

Vlad.

Eric Hofman

Hi Vlad

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated.

I did not ask which voice he is using but do recall hearing it in the background during the phone call and I don’t think it was a vocalizer voice, I think it was espeak NG synthesizer but will confirm when I am able to next contact him.

Kind regards

Eric Hofman

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Does this also happen in other non office programs, ie is it system wide or specific really.

Which build of windows is in use?

If its all over then maybe something in nvda is corrupted. Only a complete manual removal and reinstall will sort that out, but what synth is in use with nvda?

Not that this should make a difference but...
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Ann Byrne

Is he using the actual down arrow key, not the one on the numpad????

At 02:58 AM 1/10/2019, you wrote:
Does this also happen in other non office programs, ie is it system wide or specific really.

Which build of windows is in use?

If its all over then maybe something in nvda is corrupted. Only a complete manual removal and reinstall will sort that out, but what synth is in use with nvda?

Not that this should make a difference but...
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Hofman" <Eric.Hofman@...>
[...]

Hi Joseph and list

On Friday I was able to re-contact my client to continue troubleshooting this issue. At that time I was able to use team viewer to remote into his system. During this contact and access to his system I was able to;

1 Establish that he is in fact using a laptop keyboard that has a Numpad.

2 NVDA setting show that desktop keyboard layout was selected now altered  to reflect Laptop keyboard.

3 He has no add-ons installed according to the add-on manager in NVDA

4 He is using Windows One core synth with Microsoft David voice.

5 Restarting NVDA with add-ons  disabled does indeed resolve the problem.

6 Resetting to NVDA to factory defaults had no impact in the issue when running NVDA normally

At this point the remote connection with team viewer became very laggy and un-usable and my client had to attend to other matters. So we had to abandon and will continue on Monday or Tuesday at which time I endeavour to verify NVDA and Windows version and build details.

I thanks everyone for their assistance an contribution to this issue thus far offer my thanks and appreciation.

Kind regards

Eric Hofman

[...]

If a numpad is present, why did you change the setting to laptop?  Laptop keyboard layout doesn't mean you have to use it with a desktop.  It is intended to be used with any keyboard with a numpad or if you have a USB numpad connected to a computer that doesn't have a numpad.  The laptop keyboard layout is intended to be used on computers without numpads and those are usually laptops, which is why it is named laptop layout.

Set the keyboard back to desktop layout.  If you don't, the command the person wants to use won't work or leave at desktop, if it is already there.
Gene

[...]

Having Laptop keyboard layout selected does not preclude the use of Insert key as the NVDA modifier key it Just enables the use of the Caps lock key as a Modifier Key and re-assigns the key commands that are assigned to the key comprised in the Num pad as most laptops don’t have a numpad.

In NVDA and also JAWS if you select laptop keyboard layout even with a desktop keyboard you can then use either Insert or Caps lock as your modifier key and either the desktop or Laptop key commands, which can actually be quite helpful with some of the more acrobatic keyboard commans (where smaller hands or where dexterity is an issue.)

Although the laptop keyboard does have a numpad and an insert key, I choose to leave set to laptop in consultation with the user.

I thank you for your advise and input into this issue.

Kind regards

Eric

[...]

There is no connection between whether the caps lock key can be used as a modifier and which desktop layout is being used.  there is a check box in the keyboard dialog specifically for controling the behavior of the caps lock and just changing the keyboard layout has no effect on that behavior.

This all started by discussing the read to end command, NVDA key down arrow.  While you can use the insert in laptop layout, many of the desktop commands for getting NVDA to do things, in this specific case, read to end won't work.  The laptop command may be used.  The laptop layout changes commands that require the numpad keys other than insert to be used.  Either insert can be used as an NVDA command in either layout.  These are Windows keys.  Unless otherwise specified in a program. numpad insert always works as an insert key unless, of course, the numlock key is on.

Also, a lot of laptops do have numpads and those that don't can be used with a numpad insert key.  I consider it much more efficient and logical to learn the desktop layout, a much better organized and much more logically consistent layout and use a numpad, either built-in or
numpad, when using a laptop computer.  Gene

[...]

hi eric and all.
when for the first time i wanted to migrate to nvda on 2014, i faced
one issue that prevented me for the first time to leave jaws and
migrate to nvda.
the problem was not supporting SayAll.
when i wanted to read one book or article or even nvda users guide,
after ten minutes, nvda said unknown and stopped reading.
i asked someone about my issue and not supporting SayAll for entire
document and he told me that i should disable screen saver in control
panel.
i did it and it resolved my issue that now, i can read books with
hundreds of pages with firefox or long documents in notepad++ or
wordpad.
i am sure that this solution works in all programs which support
screen readers and SayAll.

now, i love nvda very much and use it every day, i cant immagine one
day without nvda and i requested God to help me use nvda in all of my
lifetime and by his grace, i wish to use nvda forever even if one day,
i become sighted!
i really love iven3, its voice is very sweete, lovely, kind and
friendly and i love it very much and enjoy if i read hundreds of
pages.

On 1/12/19, Eric Hofman <Eric.Hofman@...> wrote:
[...]

E: Eric.Hofman@...<mailto:Eric.Hofman@...>
www.visionaustralia.org<http://www.visionaustralia.org>
[Image removed by sender. Vision Australia. Blindness. Low Vision.
Opportunity. - logo]
[Image removed by sender. Vision Australia. Winner of the Australian HR

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens