Topics

NVDA saying unknown again in browsers

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 08:22 AM, Kenny Nead wrote:
But why not update to 1909?
Unless you happen to have the ISO file for 1909 on hand (or can get it) that's not happening these days.  The Media Creation Tool will always create the ISO (or bootable USB media from the ISO) for the currently released version of Windows 10, which is now 2004.

Also, figuring out what's up here and getting it fixed under 2004 (whether that fix is in NVDA or not), while a pain, is a useful exercise in itself, as it's going to keep occurring if the root cause is not determined.

And Gene's comment earlier this morning echoes what Joseph Lee and myself have been saying for years now on the Windows 10 for Screen Reader users group:  Unless there is something in a feature update that you absolutely need, which seldom if ever occurs, don't elect to apply it in the early days of the roll out.  Even Windows 10 Home Users have the ability now to just not activate that Download and install now link in the Windows Update pane.  Waiting a couple of months is virtually never a bad idea.

It will be interesting to learn what the root cause of this change is, as I wouldn't have thought that an unchanged browser coupled with an unchanged NVDA, even with a new version of Windows 10, would do this.  Signs point to something about Windows 10, though.

Kenny Nead <knead54@...>

Yes it is.