NVDA says "link dot" even when Symbol Level is Set to "some"

Suhas D

Hi everyone,

I've been wondering why NVDA says "dot" after reading a link on a web page or any where else, even when the say symbol is set to "some".

Are there any uses for this happening? Because I don't see any uses for this. Is  there a way to modify this behavior?

I tried using speech dictionary  to modify it, but without any success.

Thanks

Suhas
---
Sent from Thunderbird

“Sometimes you just jump and hope it's not a cliff.”
Casey McQuiston, Red, White & Royal Blue

Chris

Possibly because Theres a dot at the end of the link, but without any examples its difficult to give an explanation why it says dot in your case

I've been wondering why NVDA says "dot" after reading a link on a web page or any where else, even when the say symbol is set to "some".

Are there any uses for this happening? Because I don't see any uses for this. Is  there a way to modify this behavior?

I tried using speech dictionary  to modify it, but without any success.

Thanks

Suhas
---
Sent from Thunderbird

“Sometimes you just jump and hope it's not a cliff.”
Casey McQuiston, Red, White & Royal Blue

Gene

I’m not sure why this is happening.  This may solvve the problem.
You can try setting the level for the actual symbol to high.  That means it will only be spoken in high.  I’m not talking about setting the general level.  There is more than one case for determining when a period is spoken.  Open Preferences..
In that menu,find and open punctuation/symbol pronunciation.  Up arrow to it, its faster.
type the period symbol.  Tab twice and set the level to all if it isn’t already.  You will hear the level setting without tabbing.
In the list, type the period symbol again.  There is a dot dot dot symbol.  Don’t change that unless you want the three dot symbol pronounced at a different level.
Type the period symbol again.
If this period setting is not for all, set it to all as I described above.

When you are finished, tab to and activate the ok button.
Gene

Sent: Friday, October 22, 2021 8:58 AM

Possibly because Theres a dot at the end of the link, but without any examples its difficult to give an explanation why it says dot in your case

I've been wondering why NVDA says "dot" after reading a link on a web page or any where else, even when the say symbol is set to "some".

Are there any uses for this happening? Because I don't see any uses for this. Is  there a way to modify this behavior?

I tried using speech dictionary  to modify it, but without any success.

Thanks

Suhas
---
Sent from Thunderbird

“Sometimes you just jump and hope it's not a cliff.”
Casey McQuiston, Red, White & Royal Blue

Sarah k Alawami

It might be the synth. I don’t have that issue, and I’m using code factory’s elocrash. What  are you using, espeak, one core, etc?

On 10/22/2021 19:28, Chris via groups.io wrote:

Possibly because Theres a dot at the end of the link, but without any examples its difficult to give an explanation why it says dot in your case

Hi,

I'm talking about when the dot is out of the link. For instance:

Goodreads

On 10/22/2021 19:45, Gene wrote:
I’m not sure why this is happening.  This may solvve the problem.
You can try setting the level for the actual symbol to high.  That means it will only be spoken in high.  I’m not talking about setting the general level.  There is more than one case for determining when a period is spoken.

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try.

On 10/22/2021 20:33, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

It might be the synth. I don’t have that issue, and I’m using code factory’s elocrash. What  are you using, espeak, one core, etc?

I'm using One Core.  It's the same with SAPI5.

---
Suhas
---
Sent from Thunderbird

“Sometimes you just jump and hope it's not a cliff.”
Casey McQuiston, Red, White & Royal Blue
On 10/22/2021 20:33, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

It might be the synth. I don’t have that issue, and I’m using code factory’s elocrash. What  are you using, espeak, one core, etc?

I've been wondering why NVDA says "dot" after reading a link on a web page or any where else, even when the say symbol is set to "some".

Are there any uses for this happening? Because I don't see any uses for this. Is  there a way to modify this behavior?

I tried using speech dictionary  to modify it, but without any success.

Thanks

Suhas
---
Sent from Thunderbird

“Sometimes you just jump and hope it's not a cliff.”
Casey McQuiston, Red, White & Royal Blue

._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#88988) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

NVDA Topics on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topics | NVDA Archive Search Page on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search

Get NVDA from: https://www.nvaccess.org/
Your continued donations help keep NVDA development going strong. Donate at: https://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Get NVDA add-ons at: https://addons.nvda-project.org/
Other links:
NVDA on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515
_._,_._,_

Chris

If you are using the say all command or reading line by line , then maybe your punctuation level needs lowering, try setting it to some and see what happens then

[...]

I think I've even seen "link dot" as well if the period is outside the link and that's at some for me. I need to play, but I'm using elocrash here. I have not tried with one core or espeak as of yet to see if I can reproduce the issue.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

On 22 Oct 2021, at 9:30, Chris via groups.io wrote:

[...]

The punctuation is already set to "some".

I should have added "punctuation Level" instead of "Symbol Level" in the subject.  It got confusing I guess.

I apologize for the mistake.

---
Suhas
---

On 10/22/2021 22:00, Chris via groups.io wrote:

[...]

cisco

Hello there,

I can confirm that the issue is present with Espeak-ng.

Best regards.

Francisco.

[...]

Okay, have you tried another synth? Is that the same?

[...]

I've tried Espeak, One Core, and SAPI 5. And it's the same everywhere.

---
Suhas
---

On 10/22/2021 23:12, Chris via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Tyler Spivey

Symbol level is used in NVDA+p and Punctuation/symbol level in the voice settings, so both are valid. People simply don't test what they write, even if the testing takes a few seconds, so the advice here can be hit or miss.

The reason this happens is because NVDA splits the content before and after the link. Example from the log:

Speaking ['This is a ', 'visited', 'link', 'test', '.']

This log fragment is almost useless, because it shows the processing at too high a level for what we need. But I know that if you write a . on its own NVDA will say dot. So combining those two, we get the behaviour you're seeing.

The speech dictionary is useless here, it it doesn't have enough information about what it's speaking to try to fix it. Nor do addons.
Your only options are:

1. Report an issue on GitHub to get this looked at and maybe fixed.
2. Set your . in Punctuation/symbol pronunciation to level most and send only below symbol's level.
There are two dots, you don't want the . sentence ending.

If you do this, make a note of what the settings were before, because NVDA has no way of restoring these to factory defaults. If you do need to restore these to factory defaults for some reason, delete symbols-en.dic in your NVDA user configuration directory and restart NVDA.
To get there, type %appdata%\nvda into the run dialog or find "Explore NVDA user configuration directory" in the start menu. On my system, it's under All apps, NVDA, or the search box should find it.

On 10/22/2021 10:35 AM, Suhas D wrote:
The punctuation is already set to "some".
I should have added "punctuation Level" instead of "Symbol Level" in the subject.  It got confusing I guess.
I apologize for the mistake.
---
Suhas
---
Sent from Thunderbird <https://thunderbird.net/>
“Sometimes you just jump and hope it's not a cliff.”
― Casey McQuiston <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casey_McQuiston>, Red, White & Royal Blue <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red,_White_%26_Royal_Blue>

Goodreads <https://goodreads.com>.

<https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/88988> | Reply To Group
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io?subject=Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bnvda%5D%20NVDA%20says%20%22link%20dot%22%20even%20when%20Symbol%20Level%20is%20Set%20to%20%22some%22>
<mailto:marrie12@gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bnvda%5D%20NVDA%20says%20%22link%20dot%22%20even%20when%20Symbol%20Level%20is%20Set%20to%20%22some%22>
Topic <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/post>

NVDA Topics on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topics |
NVDA Archive Search Page on Groups.io -
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search

Get NVDA from: https://www.nvaccess.org/
Your continued donations help keep NVDA development going strong.
Donate at: https://www.nvaccess.org/donate
Get NVDA add-ons at: https://addons.nvda-project.org/
Other links:
NVDA on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515

| Contact Group Owner <mailto:nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io> |
Unsubscribe
<https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/leave/3897032/1370959/1450189532/xyzzy>
[ignisdraco7@outlook.com]

Gene

You have allowed your question to be answered with the additional information.  With my punctuation level set to some, I hear dot if there is something wrong such as if I accidentally have typed two dots instead of one.  I am writing this as constructive criticism and not specifically to criticize you, since I see this happen many times.  When describing a problem, it is important to discuss the conditions and not leave things out.  What you currently stated is an important condition.

To hear no periods in the case you describe, dset punctuation level, set with Numpad key, p to none.  I never hear dot spoken no matter if the period is in a link or not with this setting.

Sent: Friday, October 22, 2021 11:30 AM

[...]

Hi, I understand.

Maybe I'll try creating a issue on GitHub.

Thanks

---
Suhas
---

    <mailto:marrie12@...?subject=Private:%20Re:%20Re%3A%20%5Bnvda%5D%20NVDA%20says%20%22link%20dot%22%20even%20when%20Symbol%20Level%20is%20Set%20to%20%22some%22>
    | Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/86513776/1370959> | New
    Topic <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/post>

    NVDA Topics on Groups.io - https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topics |
    NVDA Archive Search Page on Groups.io -
    https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/search

    Get NVDA from: https://www.nvaccess.org/
    Your continued donations help keep NVDA development going strong.
    Donate at: https://www.nvaccess.org/donate
    Get NVDA add-ons at: https://addons.nvda-project.org/
    Other links:
    NVDA on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8601265515

    | Contact Group Owner <mailto:nvda+owner@nvda.groups.io> |
    Unsubscribe
    <https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/leave/3897032/1370959/1450189532/xyzzy>
    [ignisdraco7@...]

Gene

It appears to me that it may be useful at times to have dot spoken in odd or unusual situations because it may indicate an error.  In this case, on this site, it may be inconvenient but in general, it may be of use.  For example, in the example I gave earlier, I might want dot to be spoken if I accidentally have to dots at the end of a sentence.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t present it as an issue but it may be something that some users find worth having as it is.  Perhaps people may have comments about that.