Topics

NVDA Slowing to a Crawl again in Thunderbird

Rich DeSteno

I wrote about this problem maybe a month ago, but it  cleared up on its own.  .  It is now back again in full force. In Thunderbird, the keyboard barely works at all.  Trying to arrow down to read an email line--by-line if excruciatingly slow. Several seconds pass before NVDA reacts.  I switched to a version of Jaws that is a few years old, just to see if the same thing happened, but Jaws worked fine.  I don't know how this problem resolved itself last time, but it needs to be resolved again.  Any ideas?

--
Rich De Steno

Dan Beaver

Is it possible that the part of the email you are reading is when in reply mode and it is the info from the senders' part?  I have found that Thunderbird puts this in a table and that table is read extremely slowly.  I avoid reading this info while composing a reply  at all costs.

Dan Beaver

On 3/12/2020 6:17 PM, Rich DeSteno wrote:
I wrote about this problem maybe a month ago, but it  cleared up on its own.  .  It is now back again in full force. In Thunderbird, the keyboard barely works at all.  Trying to arrow down to read an email line--by-line if excruciatingly slow. Several seconds pass before NVDA reacts.  I switched to a version of Jaws that is a few years old, just to see if the same thing happened, but Jaws worked fine.  I don't know how this problem resolved itself last time, but it needs to be resolved again.  Any ideas?

--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

I don't know what is causing the problem but if you are reading mail as HTML, reading it as plain text may solve the problem.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:28 PM, Robert Logue wrote:
Think Thunderbird does a lot of extra processing when first opened.
Well, it definitely initiates a send-receive sequence, sequentially, for each and every account you have set up.  And if any of those servers are balky it definitely slows things down, sometimes quite a bit, and that's not just for screen reader users.

This is one reason, whether using Thunderbird or another e-mail client, that once they're started they should be left up and running in the background if you intend to revisit them many times during the day or over several days.  There's generally less of a "hitch in the gitty up" for subsequent send-receive sequences after the initial one, but sometimes even those will occasionally be balky.

       ~ Madonna