Topics

NVDA Slowing to a Crawl again in Thunderbird

Rich DeSteno

I wrote about this problem maybe a month ago, but it  cleared up on its own.  .  It is now back again in full force. In Thunderbird, the keyboard barely works at all.  Trying to arrow down to read an email line--by-line if excruciatingly slow. Several seconds pass before NVDA reacts.  I switched to a version of Jaws that is a few years old, just to see if the same thing happened, but Jaws worked fine.  I don't know how this problem resolved itself last time, but it needs to be resolved again.  Any ideas?

--
Rich De Steno

Dan Beaver

Is it possible that the part of the email you are reading is when in reply mode and it is the info from the senders' part?  I have found that Thunderbird puts this in a table and that table is read extremely slowly.  I avoid reading this info while composing a reply  at all costs.

Dan Beaver

On 3/12/2020 6:17 PM, Rich DeSteno wrote:
I wrote about this problem maybe a month ago, but it  cleared up on its own.  .  It is now back again in full force. In Thunderbird, the keyboard barely works at all.  Trying to arrow down to read an email line--by-line if excruciatingly slow. Several seconds pass before NVDA reacts.  I switched to a version of Jaws that is a few years old, just to see if the same thing happened, but Jaws worked fine.  I don't know how this problem resolved itself last time, but it needs to be resolved again.  Any ideas?

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

I don't know what is causing the problem but if you are reading mail as HTML, reading it as plain text may solve the problem.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2020 6:05 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA Slowing to a Crawl again in Thunderbird

Is it possible that the part of the email you are reading is when in reply mode and it is the info from the senders' part?  I have found that Thunderbird puts this in a table and that table is read extremely slowly.  I avoid reading this info while composing a reply  at all costs.

Dan Beaver

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Kevin Cussick

Right, this may or may not fix things but can't hurt.

General sluggishness with Thunderbird. I have a feeling, though,
that this is a Thunderbird issue and nothing to do with NVDA.
Try disabling Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Enable Global Search and
Indexer. Note that this isn't accessibility or screen reader specific,
but I personally found that global search didn't help me and was a
performance killer.

On 13/03/2020 00:31, Gene wrote:
I don't know what is causing the problem but if you are reading mail as HTML, reading it as plain text may solve the problem.
Gene
----- Original Message -----
*Sent:* Thursday, March 12, 2020 6:05 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] NVDA Slowing to a Crawl again in Thunderbird
Is it possible that the part of the email you are reading is when in reply mode and it is the info from the senders' part?  I have found that Thunderbird puts this in a table and that table is read extremely slowly. I avoid reading this info while composing a reply  at all costs.
Dan Beaver
--
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Robert Logue

My version with latest NVDA sometimes is very slow just moving through the message list. Takes as much as 5 seconds after pressing down arrow to move to the next in the list.  I have message pain turned off.

I notice it speeds up after a few minutes. Think Thunderbird does a lot of extra processing when first opened.

Here are some of my Thunderbird Options:

Options  dialog
list
Display  radio button  checked  2 of 8
tab control
Advanced  tab  selected  3 of 3
property page  Reading
Open messages in:  grouping
An existing message window  radio button  checked  Alt+e  3 of 3
Close message window/tab on move or delete  check box  not checked  Alt+C

I just turned on Use hardware acceleration when available; turned off auto and smooth scrolling.  Not sure which of these settings works best on my system.  ,  It is an older i5 processor with onboard graphics; no dedicated graphics card.

Advanced  radio button  checked  8 of 8
tab control
General  tab  selected  1 of 5
Scrolling  grouping
Use autoscrolling  check box  not checked  Alt+U
Use smooth scrolling  check box  not checked  Alt+m
System Integration  grouping
Always check to see if Thunderbird is the default mail client on startup  check box  not checked  Alt+A
Check Now…  button  Alt+N
Allow Windows Search to search messages  check box  not checked Alt+S
Advanced Configuration  grouping
Enable Global Search and Indexer  check box  not checked  Alt+G
Message Store Type for new accounts:  combo box  File per folder (mbox)  collapsed  Alt+T
Use hardware acceleration when available  check box  checked Alt+h

On 2020-03-12 4:17 p.m., Rich DeSteno wrote:

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:28 PM, Robert Logue wrote:
Think Thunderbird does a lot of extra processing when first opened.
Well, it definitely initiates a send-receive sequence, sequentially, for each and every account you have set up.  And if any of those servers are balky it definitely slows things down, sometimes quite a bit, and that's not just for screen reader users.

This is one reason, whether using Thunderbird or another e-mail client, that once they're started they should be left up and running in the background if you intend to revisit them many times during the day or over several days.  There's generally less of a "hitch in the gitty up" for subsequent send-receive sequences after the initial one, but sometimes even those will occasionally be balky.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna