NVDA sounds

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

Is it possible to set NVDA to play a sound when a new window opens?

Thanks,

Janet

Chris Nova

Hello,

Are you talking about a program or a window on a website?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Janet Brandly
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:30 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA sounds

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Gene

Not that I know of, though I may not know of such a setting.  I haven't seen one when I've looked through the program. 

This may not do what you want but in Windows there is, or there used to be and there probably still is, a setting in sounds that will play a sound whenever a new program opens.  Some windows that open are actually new instances of the program running so you may hear the sound when you want but others may wish to comment on that.I've never used such a setting because it would annoy me to no end, hearing such a sound over and over again.

Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 11:30 AM

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Sarah k Alawami

There is a theme add on, look for it on the nvda website and add ons section. I personally don’t use it as I don’t need to know when windows open, I have my screen reading skills to know this. I really don’t want my computer sounding like a video game. I must hear that when I play them lol!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Janet Brandly
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 9:30 AM

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

My screen-reader skills are decent enough, but it would be nice to know when a program such as Edge or Word has opened. Right now, I have to alt-tab to find out whether the program I want has opened or not. This would also be handy when opening messages in Outlook.

Janet

Afik Souffir

Hi Janet,
I don’t think there is such an option.
But, yes it will be nice.

Afik

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...>
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 8:12:21 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hello all,

My screen-reader skills are decent enough, but it would be nice to know when a program such as Edge or Word has opened. Right now, I have to alt-tab to find out whether the program I want has opened or not. This would also be handy when opening messages in Outlook.

Janet

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

these are not nvda sounds but if you type in the search box of windows sound it will come up with sound settings. Press the enter key on it then tab down to sound control panel I think it was then press the enter key again. The next screen that comes up you will then need to locate the sounds tab then go into it there it will give you options to have it when it opens a program etc.

Hope that helps.

this is on a windows 10 machine.

Gene nz

On 24/02/2021 6:30 am, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Janet Brandly

Thank you, this sounds like what I’m looking for.

Janet

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of hurrikennyandopo ...
Sent: February 23, 2021 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA sounds

Hi

these are not nvda sounds but if you type in the search box of windows sound it will come up with sound settings. Press the enter key on it then tab down to sound control panel I think it was then press the enter key again. The next screen that comes up you will then need to locate the sounds tab then go into it there it will give you options to have it when it opens a program etc.

Hope that helps.

this is on a windows 10 machine.

Gene nz

On 24/02/2021 6:30 am, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks,

Janet

Gene

I don't understand your comments.  Programs don't just open unless you take an action.  If you give specific examples of where you take an action and want to know if something is opened, we might be able to give useful suggestions, but just hearing a sound, while it would tell you that something opened, wouldn’t tell you what.  so what is the advantage?

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:12 PM

Hello all,

Janet

Sarah k Alawami

Look up the nvda themes sounds. It will have sounds to tell you when windows are open. Like I said I don’t use it, not anymore but when I did it worked well.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA sounds

I don't understand your comments.  Programs don't just open unless you take an action.  If you give specific examples of where you take an action and want to know if something is opened, we might be able to give useful suggestions, but just hearing a sound, while it would tell you that something opened, wouldn’t tell you what.  so what is the advantage?

Gene

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 12:12 PM

Hello all,

Janet

Jason Bratcher

I also don't prefer Windows event sounds too much like that.
For me though, the AudioThemes add-on quiets down on extra speech that I don't care to hear.
I've been quietly working on a small audio theme of my own with random short sounds for roles (control types) in NVDA.
This comes in awesome for things like list items, buttons, icons, static text, etc.

--
Jason Bratcher