Topics

NVDA speaks all punctuations except period

Hi everyone,

NVDA speaks all punctuations except period. When I press the key for
period it is silent. Even the word period or dot ar silent. Why is
that and how can correct it? Would NVDA correct itself if I uninstall
and reinstall?
Any help will be appreciated.
--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified

Sarah k Alawami

Did you reboot the computer or reboot nvda to see if that solves the problem?

On 11 May 2020, at 9:05, Nevzat Adil wrote:

Hi everyone,

NVDA speaks all punctuations except period. When I press the key for
period it is silent. Even the word period or dot ar silent. Why is
that and how can correct it? Would NVDA correct itself if I uninstall
and reinstall?
Any help will be appreciated.
--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@...

Make sure that no entries have been made in any one of the dictionaries (most likely the default dictionary, but check them all) that would prevent a period from being spoken.

Also check in Punctuation & Symbols settings (NVDA+N,P,P), to be certain that the single period stand-alone, and at the end of a sentence, have not been tweaked to have a blank replacement text.  If your Punctuation & Symbols settings are still in their default state, or something near to it, typing the word "dot," in the Filter by edit box should pull up both the sentence ending and standalone periods with a replacement text of dot.  If it doesn't, then something's been changed, and it's impossible to say what without seeing it/having direct access to it.