Topics

NVDA Speech delay after Computer is Idle

Mária Orovčíková

Hello list,
I have some weird issue with NVDA.
When I do not use my laptop for a longer period of time (half an hour and longer), but the laptop is stil on, and when I want to use it again, I pres any key, NVdA takes quite a long time to start speaking.
I have Lenovo, Windows 10, latest NVDA version and I have screensavers, and standby mode disabled.
Please, if anyone knows any workaround, let me know.
Thank you very much for your help.
Maria

Gene

If a computer has this problem, while this is unusual, in generel the problem occurs when the computer isn't used for a much shorter time, this page mauy have the solution.
https://mosen.org/soundsfrustrating/

You may want to read the article or skip to the part that discusses the specific solution I have in mind. To find the beginning of that specific section, search for
Thanks so much to

When I do not use my laptop for a longer period of time (half an hour
and longer), but the laptop is stil on, and when I want to use it again,
I pres any key, NVdA takes quite a long time to start speaking.
I have Lenovo, Windows 10, latest NVDA version and I have screensavers,
and standby mode disabled.
Please, if anyone knows any workaround, let me know.
Thank you very much for your help.
Maria

Mária Orovčíková

Hello again,
the thing is that it also happens when a sound is playing (for example video or audio), it takes some time til NVDA starts working again after not being active.
Maria

-----Original Message----- From: Mária Orovčíková
Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello list,
I have some weird issue with NVDA.
When I do not use my laptop for a longer period of time (half an hour
and longer), but the laptop is stil on, and when I want to use it again,
I pres any key, NVdA takes quite a long time to start speaking.
I have Lenovo, Windows 10, latest NVDA version and I have screensavers,
and standby mode disabled.
Please, if anyone knows any workaround, let me know.
Thank you very much for your help.
Maria

Gene

I don't know why that is. that appears to indicate a different problem than the one I pointed to.

Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello list,
I have some weird issue with NVDA.
When I do not use my laptop for a longer period of time (half an hour
and longer), but the laptop is stil on, and when I want to use it again,
I pres any key, NVdA takes quite a long time to start speaking.
I have Lenovo, Windows 10, latest NVDA version and I have screensavers,
and standby mode disabled.
Please, if anyone knows any workaround, let me know.
Thank you very much for your help.
Maria

Has the computer gone to sleep?  You make no mention of that, but if it has been put into sleep mode due to inactivity it does take a few moments for everything to "come back to life" again.  Some things will come back to life before others do.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Mária Orovčíková

No, the computer has never been put into sleep mode, I have all these functions and screensaver disabled.
Maria

--

Brian -Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

/It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white./

~ Kelley Boorn

Hi,
Don't tell me this is the sound card hardware/driver combo working to put the sound card itself to sleep... Does this happen if you use a different speaker or a headset hardware other than the one that comes with your computer?
Cheers,
Joseph

No, the computer has never been put into sleep mode, I have all these functions and screensaver disabled.
Maria

On 24. 9. 2020 18:15, Brian Vogel wrote:
Has the computer gone to sleep? You make no mention of that, but if
it has been put into sleep mode due to inactivity it does take a few
moments for everything to "come back to life" again. Some things will
come back to life before others do.
--

Brian -Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

/It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white./

~ Kelley Boorn

Sarah k Alawami

I don't see how. If he is playing music and the music is up and still playing but nvda takes a few seconds or minutes more to speak, somethingn else is up.

On 24 Sep 2020, at 9:15, Brian Vogel wrote:

Has the computer gone to sleep?  You make no mention of that, but if it has been put into sleep mode due to inactivity it does take a few moments for everything to "come back to life" again.  Some things will come back to life before others do.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Well, there are standard things that can be done, and I do 'em in this order, stopping if/when the issue subsides:

1.  Uninstall NVDA and then reinstall from a freshly downloaded copy of the installer.

2.  Run the COM registration fixing tool.

3.  Restart NVDA with add-ons disabled.

4. If number three works, disabling all add-ons, then reenabling one by one until the issue recurs to determine which is the problem.  Some people do literally one at a time, disabling all others, while others start with one and, if there's no problem, enabling the next.

There is also what Joseph mentioned as far as power saving, but that does make no sense if the machine is playing music continuously and NVDA isn't just there when called upon.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

Betsy Grenevitch

have seen that too but thought it was just because my laptop is older. I am using Windows 10 and the version of NVDA right before the beta as far as I know. It does not always happen but happens frequently.

On 9/24/2020 8:00 AM, Mária Orovčíková wrote:
Hello list,
I have some weird issue with NVDA.
When I do not use my laptop for a longer period of time (half an hour and longer), but the laptop is stil on, and when I want to use it again, I pres any key, NVdA takes quite a long time to start speaking.
I have Lenovo, Windows 10, latest NVDA version and I have screensavers, and standby mode disabled.
Please, if anyone knows any workaround, let me know.
Thank you very much for your help.
Maria

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

This problem with NVDA began after my latest windows update. Sometimes it will happen even when I am in the middle of doing something like saving a document.

I read Jonathan's article but it is above my understanding of how to handle the situation.

Sent: Thursday, September 24, 2020 7:00 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello list,
I have some weird issue with NVDA.
When I do not use my laptop for a longer period of time (half an hour
and longer), but the laptop is stil on, and when I want to use it again,
I pres any key, NVdA takes quite a long time to start speaking.
I have Lenovo, Windows 10, latest NVDA version and I have screensavers,
and standby mode disabled.
Please, if anyone knows any workaround, let me know.
Thank you very much for your help.
Maria

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

If it is the computer going to sleep how do you wake it up? Is there a setting that may have gotten changed with the latest Windows update. I did not have this problem until then.

On 9/24/2020 12:15 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Has the computer gone to sleep?  You make no mention of that, but if it has been put into sleep mode due to inactivity it does take a few moments for everything to "come back to life" again.  Some things will come back to life before others do.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Chris

Sounds like a power management issue

Possibly because  your hard drive is going to sleep, the delay may well be because you are using a mechanical HDD drive ,

Rather than a solid state SSD drive

You can prevent your hard drive going to sleep through your advanced power plan settings