From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mani Iyer via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 7:56 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA speechless on the enter key in Wordpad

Hello all,
Having worked on the Mac with Voiceover for many years, I am a newbie to Windows and NVDA which I am learning through the user guide and enjoying it.
A RTF editor is a must for what I do and I chose Wordpad (I will welcome ideas for any better NVDA-accessible and free editors). I don’t know what setting would make NVDA speak the enter key whenever I move to a new line. Setting the ‘Speak commands’ option on does speak it but speaks all other commands I press in the process.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,.

Warmly,
Mani

Mani Iyer

Good to hear from you again after a long time. :)
Thank you Sarah. But you have no idea as to why NVDA does not speak the enter key on Wordpad?

Mani

On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@gmail.com> wrote:

I recommend Jarte. It is no longer being made, but it is one of my favorite programs to use for an RTF editor and a docx viewer.

Having worked on the Mac with Voiceover for many years, I am a newbie to Windows and NVDA which I am learning through the user guide and enjoying it.
A RTF editor is a must for what I do and I chose Wordpad (I will welcome ideas for any better NVDA-accessible and free editors). I don’t know what setting would make NVDA speak the enter key whenever I move to a new line. Setting the ‘Speak commands’ option on does speak it but speaks all other commands I press in the process.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,.

Warmly,
Mani

Gene

Others mahy know of an add-on for this purpose, but I know of none and there is no command in NVDA for this purpose.

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 9:55 AM

Hello all,
Having worked on the Mac with Voiceover for many years, I am a newbie to Windows and NVDA which I am learning through the user guide and enjoying it.
A RTF editor is a must for what I do and I chose Wordpad (I will welcome ideas for any better NVDA-accessible and free editors).  I don’t know what setting would make NVDA speak the enter key whenever I move to a new line. Setting the ‘Speak commands’ option on does speak it but speaks all other commands I press in the process.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,.

Warmly,
Mani

Gene

NVDA doesn’t speak any command keys by default.  You already know what happens when you turn speak command keys on.

You may find that you quickly get used to not hearing enter.  You may expect it since you evidently have heard it in the past but giving not hearing it a chance for perhaps a few days or a week may get you used to not hearing it and it may not matter any longer.

I believe the option should be available.  People should be able to choose which command keys they hear, but since I know of no way they can, if you get used to not hearing it quickly, the problem may not matter shortly.

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Good to hear from you again after a long time. :)
Thank you Sarah. But you have no idea as to why NVDA does not speak the enter key on Wordpad?

Mani

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend Jarte. It is no longer being made, but it is one of my favorite programs to use for an RTF editor and a docx  viewer.

Mani Iyer

Hello Gene,
I wouldn’t mind having the “Speak commands’ turned on when in Wordpad but elsewhere it gets annoying! I wish there was a command to quickly turn ‘Speak commands’ on and off.
Well if not, I will have to get used to the silence. :)

Mani

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:49 PM, Mani Iyer wrote:
I wish there was a command to quickly turn ‘Speak commands’ on and off.
-
Or you could just create an configuration profile for WordPad where you have NVDA Speak Commands enabled with automatic triggering.  Then this automatically comes on if and only if WordPad has focus, and is not on elsewhere.

Configuration profiles are great for this purpose.  Bring up the NVDA User Guide in your browser, NVDA + N, H, U, and read through section 12.4

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Mani Iyer

Thank you for the nice tip, Brian. I will certainly try this.

mani

On Nov 17, 2021, at 12:57 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:49 PM, Mani Iyer wrote:
I wish there was a command to quickly turn ‘Speak commands’ on and off.
-
Or you could just create an configuration profile for WordPad where you have NVDA Speak Commands enabled with automatic triggering.  Then this automatically comes on if and only if WordPad has focus, and is not on elsewhere.

Configuration profiles are great for this purpose.  Bring up the NVDA User Guide in your browser, NVDA + N, H, U, and read through section 12.4

         ~ John F. Kennedy

benmoxey@...

Hi Mani

Note that you can also toggle the speaking of command keys on or off at any time by pressing NVDA + 4 (on the number row).

Cheers

Ben

Thank you for the nice tip, Brian. I will certainly try this.

mani

On Nov 17, 2021, at 12:57 PM, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 12:49 PM, Mani Iyer wrote:

I wish there was a command to quickly turn ‘Speak commands’ on and off.

-
Or you could just create an configuration profile for WordPad where you have NVDA Speak Commands enabled with automatic triggering.  Then this automatically comes on if and only if WordPad has focus, and is not on elsewhere.

Configuration profiles are great for this purpose.  Bring up the NVDA User Guide in your browser, NVDA + N, H, U, and read through section 12.4

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Gene

If you don’t mind hearing all the commands spoken, you can set up a profile that would automatically turn them on in Wordpad or the specific editor you want to use.  I haven’t worked with profiles to any extent so I’ll let others discuss them.  But the profile can be made to function automatically when you run a specific editor.

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Good to hear from you again after a long time. :)
Thank you Sarah. But you have no idea as to why NVDA does not speak the enter key on Wordpad?

Mani

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend Jarte. It is no longer being made, but it is one of my favorite programs to use for an RTF editor and a docx  viewer.

Sarah k Alawami

I have no earthly idea. My enter key never speaks as I don't want it to. Is this what you want? If not ther is no way to turn on just the enter key to speak, I don't think.

Having worked on the Mac with Voiceover for many years, I am a newbie to Windows and NVDA which I am learning through the user guide and enjoying it.
A RTF editor is a must for what I do and I chose Wordpad (I will welcome ideas for any better NVDA-accessible and free editors). I don’t know what setting would make NVDA speak the enter key whenever I move to a new line. Setting the ‘Speak commands’ option on does speak it but speaks all other commands I press in the process.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks,.

Warmly,
Mani

Sarah k Alawami

You can create a profile just  for wordpad. Give that a try. I use profiles for certain apps and they work well.

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Good to hear from you again after a long time. :)
Thank you Sarah. But you have no idea as to why NVDA does not speak the enter key on Wordpad?

Mani

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend Jarte. It is no longer being made, but it is one of my favorite programs to use for an RTF editor and a docx  viewer.

Deenadayalan Moodley

Hi,

Check out the NVDA global commands extension... it allows you to turn individual keys on and off.

Thanks.

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Good to hear from you again after a long time. :)
Thank you Sarah. But you have no idea as to why NVDA does not speak the enter key on Wordpad?

Mani

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend Jarte. It is no longer being made, but it is one of my favorite programs to use for an RTF editor and a docx  viewer.

Mani Iyer

Thank you Dina, Gene, and Brian for all your suggestions. I am curious at to what the technical barriers exist  for NVDA being unable to simply say ‘New Line’ for the enter key. Is it because of the lookahead it has to perform for the ‘line feed’ character? If that is the case, I would still be happy if it said ‘carriage return’ like it does when I move up and down lines in my Wordpad file.

Warmly,
Mani
  .

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Good to hear from you again after a long time. :)
Thank you Sarah. But you have no idea as to why NVDA does not speak the enter key on Wordpad?

Mani

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend Jarte. It is no longer being made, but it is one of my favorite programs to use for an RTF editor and a docx  viewer.

Gene

I don’t know but enter is what screen-readers generally say if you have them set to speak such keys.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Good to hear from you again after a long time. :)
Thank you Sarah. But you have no idea as to why NVDA does not speak the enter key on Wordpad?

Mani

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend Jarte. It is no longer being made, but it is one of my favorite programs to use for an RTF editor and a docx  viewer.

Sarah k Alawami

Can’t you customize that key, or am I confused with the punctuation dictionary.  If so, then ignore me.

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM

Good to hear from you again after a long time. :)
Thank you Sarah. But you have no idea as to why NVDA does not speak the enter key on Wordpad?

Mani

> On Nov 17, 2021, at 11:25 AM, Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend Jarte. It is no longer being made, but it is one of my favorite programs to use for an RTF editor and a docx  viewer.

Sarah k Alawami

I think one of mine said “return” or “new line” or nothing at all. and now I can’t remember which one as that might have been in 1987 or so.

Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2021 10:52 AM