Topics

Nvda stillcrashes with thunder bird

brian

I had my thunder bird set to never check for updates but it updated to the latest version anyway.  It still stops reading and I have to restart nvda if I can.  Then when I go back in to thunder bird it says thunder bird is not responding.  This is the only program that crashes nvda.  I truly hope that somone is working on a fix for this problem.  It makes thunder bird usless. This is the best email program I have found yet.  I will never go back to windows live mail because I could not send mail or open links in messages.  I have nvda 2019.2 and windows 19.3 this problem just keeps on getting worse.I did not care for the mail app there is no way to import my address book from thunder bird.

Brian Sackrider

What version of Thunderbird are you using, and what version of NVDA?

On 10/5/2019 1:57 PM, brian wrote:
I had my thunder bird set to never check for updates but it updated to the latest version anyway.  It still stops reading and I have to restart nvda if I can.  Then when I go back in to thunder bird it says thunder bird is not responding.  This is the only program that crashes nvda.  I truly hope that somone is working on a fix for this problem.  It makes thunder bird usless. This is the best email program I have found yet.  I will never go back to windows live mail because I could not send mail or open links in messages.  I have nvda 2019.2 and windows 19.3 this problem just keeps on getting worse.I did not care for the mail app there is no way to import my address book from thunder bird.

Brian Sackrider

brian

    I have thunder bird 60.99.0 and nvda 2019.2

Brian Sackrider

On 10/5/2019 2:00 PM, Governor staten wrote:

What version of Thunderbird are you using, and what version of NVDA?

On 10/5/2019 1:57 PM, brian wrote:
I had my thunder bird set to never check for updates but it updated to the latest version anyway.  It still stops reading and I have to restart nvda if I can.  Then when I go back in to thunder bird it says thunder bird is not responding.  This is the only program that crashes nvda.  I truly hope that somone is working on a fix for this problem.  It makes thunder bird usless. This is the best email program I have found yet.  I will never go back to windows live mail because I could not send mail or open links in messages.  I have nvda 2019.2 and windows 19.3 this problem just keeps on getting worse.I did not care for the mail app there is no way to import my address book from thunder bird.

Brian Sackrider

On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 02:16 PM, brian wrote:
I have thunder bird 60.99.0
And the latest version is 68.1.1.   You're long overdue for an update.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

I stopped using thunderbird because of its sluggishness in both jaws and NVDA. That’s why I’m using the mail app. Maybe you can’t import your contacts from thunderbird but it’s still a good program.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I had my thunder bird set to never check for updates but it updated to

the latest version anyway.  It still stops reading and I have to restart

nvda if I can.  Then when I go back in to thunder bird it says thunder

bird is not responding.  This is the only program that crashes nvda.  I

truly hope that somone is working on a fix for this problem.  It makes

thunder bird usless. This is the best email program I have found yet.  I

will never go back to windows live mail because I could not send mail or

open links in messages.  I have nvda 2019.2 and windows 19.3 this

problem just keeps on getting worse.I did not care for the mail app

there is no way to import my address book from thunder bird.

Brian Sackrider

Sarah k Alawami

Actually knock o wood now tha I set some things up in tBird it is no longer lagging as much. I truns quite well actually.

Take care

and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

On 5 Oct 2019, at 12:38, Rosemarie Chavarria wrote:

[...]

    If I use the latest version my nvda will stop when I open the first message.  This is very unusable.

Brian Sackrider

On 10/5/2019 2:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 02:16 PM, brian wrote:
I have thunder bird 60.99.0
And the latest version is 68.1.1.   You're long overdue for an update.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

There is something different about your setup than with others. I do not have this issue. I'm not even sure how to troubleshoot this one.

On 10/5/2019 5:34 PM, brian wrote:

    If I use the latest version my nvda will stop when I open the first message.  This is very unusable.

Brian Sackrider

On 10/5/2019 2:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 02:16 PM, brian wrote:
I have thunder bird 60.99.0
And the latest version is 68.1.1.   You're long overdue for an update.

The color of truth is grey.

           ~ André Gide

Don H

Can using Imap versus pop3 have anything to do with this type of issue? Can the number of Emails in a particular folder have anything to do with this issue?
I have been using Thunderbird for years and experience no such issues. I am running the latest Thunderbird on Win 10 and use Pop3 and keep my Email folders rather small with regards to the number of Emails in them. Right now I have four Email address including three from my Internet provider and one Gmail account.
I know saying I don't have any issues isn't solving the problem but something in your setup has to be the issue.

On 10/5/2019 6:48 PM, Governor staten wrote:
There is something different about your setup than with others. I do not have this issue. I'm not even sure how to troubleshoot this one.
On 10/5/2019 5:34 PM, brian wrote:

    If I use the latest version my nvda will stop when I open the first message.  This is very unusable.

Brian Sackrider

On 10/5/2019 2:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 02:16 PM, brian wrote:

I have thunder bird 60.99.0

And the latest version is 68.1.1.   You're long overdue for an update.

*The color of truth is grey.*

~ André Gide

Gene

I don't know why you couldn't send mail.  But the Thunderbird problem is serious enough that it might be worth trying to solve the Windows Live Mail problem on the chat list or another general discussion list such as Blindtech or Techtalk.

Or, use Thunderbird portable and if it upgrades, simply delete the upgraded version and copy a backup copy of the program to where the upgraded program was.

I don't have a rule about this, but if there is a portable version of a program that is as capable as the installed version, I generally use it.

I had my thunder bird set to never check for updates but it updated to
the latest version anyway.  It still stops reading and I have to restart
nvda if I can.  Then when I go back in to thunder bird it says thunder
bird is not responding.  This is the only program that crashes nvda.  I
truly hope that somone is working on a fix for this problem.  It makes
thunder bird usless. This is the best email program I have found yet.  I
will never go back to windows live mail because I could not send mail or
open links in messages.  I have nvda 2019.2 and windows 19.3 this
problem just keeps on getting worse.I did not care for the mail app
there is no way to import my address book from thunder bird.

Brian Sackrider

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  As the person who started the thread about tb working better with Jaws than NVDA, I Would now like to withdraw my statement, throw egg all over my face and freely admit that the latest version of NVDA has gain much credence with Tb and is just as smooth and fast as it originally was, a few versions ago.  The lag is now minimal, I would say, and as Jaws suffers the same amount of lag, but typing mail is more of a breeze with NVDA currently, then NVDA in my view has retained it's edge.  Cheers!

On 10/6/2019 8:00 AM, Don H wrote:
[...]

if you are satisfied with one particular version of thunderbird,
do the following.

1. download thunderbird your favorite version from this link.
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/
2, when you want to install it, select custom setup and then uncheck
maintenance service.
3. after the installation is completed, in thunderbird options,
advance, update, set thunderbird to never check for update!
i wish that i could help you and now, you can use your favorite
version without any crash.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

In the case of running a very old operating system, your idea is sensible. If you're running the latest operating system, why would you run something that will become obsolete and have security bugs? It is ultimately easier in the long run to fix whatever the issues may be.

On 10/5/2019 10:14 PM, zahra wrote:
[...]

i always keep one favorite version of my favorite programs and use
them forever and never update them.
one version is enough for me forever.
i have installer as well as link for downloading for the best versions
of my favorite programs.

On 10/6/19, Governor staten <@Govsta> wrote:
[...]

I'm familiar with your situation. Very few, if any, have that situation.

On 10/5/2019 11:49 PM, zahra wrote:
[...]

thanks for your kindness.
yes, most people believe that the last version is the best version!
but i wish one version forever.
and after five years searching, finally i found the best version of
firefox for myself to keep and use it forever!
God bless you!