From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Tew
Sent: June 1, 2022 9:32 AM
To: nvda nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] nvda suddenly began announcing all input keystrokes

It just began doing this today June 1. Input help is off; I cycled it to be
sure.
Any ideas? Thanks.

Chris Smart

Speaking of NVDA+2 and NVDA+3, I have always wondered why those toggles are
assigned to separate keys. Combining them, as Jaws does, would free up
NVDA+3 for something else.

Luke Davis

Chris Smart wrote:

Speaking of NVDA+2 and NVDA+3, I have always wondered why those toggles are
assigned to separate keys. Combining them, as Jaws does, would free up
NVDA+3 for something else.
I guess you would prefer that it cycled through:
Speak nothing.
Speak characters but not words.
Speak characters and words.
Speak words but not characters.

I don't think we have any four state toggles in NVDA; perhaps it was thought to be too cumbersome for a single key.

Luke

Chris Smart

Actually, I can think of two. NVDA+U cycles through four choices for dealing
with progress bars, and NVDA+P cycles through four levels of Symbol
verbosity.

Chris

Chris Smart wrote:

Actually, I can think of two. NVDA+U cycles through four choices for dealing
with progress bars, and NVDA+P cycles through four levels of Symbol
verbosity.
Ah, you're right. In my defense, I forgot.

Luke

Sarah k Alawami

If you think it is a good idea, look for and / or post an issue on their
github then mark it with a thumbs up to say you want it sooner than later.
The more that mark your submission with the thumbs up or down reaction, ,
the more they can consider for a future release and sooner at that. I like
the idea myself, but I'm not sure if that is doable at present.

Speaking of NVDA+2 and NVDA+3, I have always wondered why those toggles are
assigned to separate keys. Combining them, as Jaws does, would free up
NVDA+3 for something else.

Gene

You are talking evidently, about command keys, such as control, enter, down arrow, etc.  To change this behavior, open the keyboard dialog, control NVDA k, and tab around.
You will get to speak command keys.  It's a check box.  Press the space bar to uncheck it.
Press enter and the dialog will close.  The setting is changed and if you are using default settings in this respect, when you shut down NVDA or close Windows, the setting will be permanently saved.

Gene

On 6/1/2022 8:32 AM, Brian Tew wrote:
It just began doing this today June 1. Input help is off; I cycled it to be sure.
Any ideas? Thanks.

.

Sarah k Alawami

There is actually an easier way.  It is nvda plus numrow 4.  This will act as a toggle per the keyboard hint.  This on laptop mode, dun no the desk top toggle.  Sorry about that.  Hopefully a quick glance at the QS will guide you in the right direction re the desktop command.

--------

Sarah Alawami

Check out both my story and my journey as I learn to fly blind.