Topics

NVDA treating an interactive shell running under command line a little bit odd - php interactive interpreter

Jacob Kruger

Since my primary work is as a web developer, working under PHP, etc., at times, I might want to just use the command line interface of the PHP interactive interpreter to carry out some tasks in sort of real-time.

Anyway, since I have made sure php.exe for my current development environment is included in my system path variable, this means that from the command line = cmd.exe - I can type in php -a, and it will activate the interactive console.

The funny thing is NVDA will read out any responses, or output, or error messages to me - for example, typing in the following line:

echo "hello world";

But, it doesn't read out any typing/input to me, which means I keep on wanting to review what I've typed in before executing it - and, yes, it can read line, word, characterr, etc. as per usual.

Now, this is not the end of the world, but, I find it odd, and, for example, as a test, if I turn off NVDA, and bring up MS narrator, running under windows 10 64 bit v. 1903, then narrator treats that console perfectly normally, and, before activating the PHP interactive interface, NVDA does read out everything to me.

Now, in case relevant, here's a bit of the NVDA log that I pulled out while this interface was active:

IAccessible accName: u'C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd.exe - php  -a'
IAccessible accRole: ROLE_SYSTEM_CLIENT
IAccessible accState: STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSED, STATE_SYSTEM_FOCUSABLE, STATE_SYSTEM_VALID (1048580)
IAccessible accDescription: None
IAccessible accValue: None

Lastly, just in case, and since I have quite a few different add-ons installed, I did also try restarting NVDA with add-ons disabled, and, it made no difference.

Thoughts?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2019-09-06 11:12 AM, Aine Kelly Costello wrote:
No, I looked there in the tree view and it doesn't appear ...

On 6/09/2019, at 10:48 AM, Jacob Kruger <jacob@...> wrote:

While focused on notepad++, activate NVDA menu, preferences, and input gestures, and then, double-check to see if there's a tree view item for notepad++, with something like 6 commands listed under it?

That's what shows up here on my laptop?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
On 2019-09-05 9:44 PM, George Kerscher wrote:

Hi,

I have not tested all the features, but you could try NVDA+shift+backslash, which should announce the linenumber , column number and what is selected.

If that works, the add on is working. I have not gotten the MD function to work, but I have not spent a lot of time on it.

Best

George

Jacob Kruger

Thanks, Luke - hadn't even considered that, but, now when I enabled Use UI Automation to access the Windows Console when available  check box under advanced settings, it suddenly started reading out text as I typed it in.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
082 413 4791

On 2019-09-06 11:53 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
Have you tried running this with UIA turned on for the shell, in NVDA Advanced settings?

Luke

Jacob Kruger

Ok, for interest's sake, switching on UIA for command line, does interfere with things like object navigation and screen review in the normal cmd.exe interface, so have now set up two separate configuration profiles, so that can easily/quickly switch to the one with UIA switched on when I want to, but, can otherwise normally, keep it switched off.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

On 2019-09-06 11:53 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
Have you tried running this with UIA turned on for the shell, in NVDA Advanced settings?

Luke

Quentin Christensen

There have been some improvements for command-line use in recent alphas.  Feel free to try the latest alpha and see how it works on the command line for you:  https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/snapshots/

Note it's an "alpha" release so might not be as stable as 2019.2, particularly as we've updated to Python 3 and for instance, not all add-ons are compatible yet - we're working on getting them all updated, but only about 2/3 there so far.

Quentin

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Jacob Kruger

I might try it out as portable, but, if try to install it on laptop, over current 19.2, it tells me pretty much every add-on is incompatible.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Jacob Kruger

Ok, and, the alpha version does seem to handle windows console, etc. pretty well.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
082 413 4791

--

Yep portable will work fine for testing the Windows console - and we're working on getting all the add-ons updated.  Joseph has made a handy list here:  https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/nvdapy3.en.html

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Jacob Kruger

Ok, one other advantage, or good usage example here is, if I use windows 10's own SSH command line client to connect to a remote server, while running this latest NVDA alpha, it actually handles the slightly latent feedback/output quite a bit better than the current 19.2 does/would.

Just FYI.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker