Topics

NVDA updating versions

Howard Traxler

Trying to keep up-to-date, will NVDA under the newer python simply update itself and continue using its add-ons, or must further contortions be navigated?

Thanks.
Howard

Hi,
A bit of both: NVDA will keep up to date by itself if you ask it to, but some add-ons will need to be updated as they are not compatible with NVDA 2019.3; for some incompatible add-ons, add-on authors said they will release compatible releases shortly before and after 2019.3 comes out; for others, they are getting onboard, while others may need to be dropped from your system as add-ons people haven't heard from authors in a while. There are at least two add-ons that will become obsolete because 2019.3 will include functionality from these add-ons.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 8:39 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA updating versions

Trying to keep up-to-date, will NVDA under the newer python simply update itself and continue using its add-ons, or must further contortions be navigated?

Thanks.
Howard

If you use a lot of add-ons, you need to write to the add on developers to make sure theirs is compatible. Get the add on updater so you don't have to go hunting. The only thing you'd have to be conscious of is add ons. Which honestly makes me beyond happy they are not releasing this soon. I want enough time for all add on developers to get ready. I'm glad it's not being rushed out. I'd imagine all the illegal add ons, like the illegal synthesizers won't work right from the start, but, again, I'm looking forward to this release. The what's new was a huge joy to read!

molly the blind tech lover

I am so excited for NVDA 2019.3 😂

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Robert Kingett
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA updating versions

If you use a lot of add-ons, you need to write to the add on developers to make sure theirs is compatible. Get the add on updater so you don't have to go hunting. The only thing you'd have to be conscious of is add ons. Which honestly makes me beyond happy they are not releasing this soon. I want enough time for all add on developers to get ready. I'm glad it's not being rushed out. I'd imagine all the illegal add ons, like the illegal synthesizers won't work right from the start, but, again, I'm looking forward to this release. The what's new was a huge joy to read!

I should imagine that after an update a lot of stuff will stop working till manually installed again.

Which is probably why everyone in the club is trying to make sure they are using the right bricks.

On 30/11/2019 5:38 am, Howard Traxler wrote:

Thanks.
Howard

Well I have emailed the author of the japanese game translater, so either he does or not.

Saying that, we will have to test if addon x though incompatible will continue its function without any issue.

It will be a case by case basis but some of them may just do so others, not so much.

On 30/11/2019 5:41 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
A bit of both: NVDA will keep up to date by itself if you ask it to, but some add-ons will need to be updated as they are not compatible with NVDA 2019.3; for some incompatible add-ons, add-on authors said they will release compatible releases shortly before and after 2019.3 comes out; for others, they are getting onboard, while others may need to be dropped from your system as add-ons people haven't heard from authors in a while. There are at least two add-ons that will become obsolete because 2019.3 will include functionality from these add-ons.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 8:39 AM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA updating versions

Thanks.
Howard

Hi,
This is one of the reasons why I'm planning to update Add-on Updater last.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA updating versions

I should imagine that after an update a lot of stuff will stop working till manually installed again.

Which is probably why everyone in the club is trying to make sure they are using the right bricks.

On 30/11/2019 5:38 am, Howard Traxler wrote:
Trying to keep up-to-date, will NVDA under the newer python simply
update itself and continue using its add-ons, or must further
contortions be navigated?

Thanks.
Howard