Topics

NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I opened the NVDA User Guide to reference something, and I noticed that it didn't open in Microsoft Edge, which is set as my default browser.  Is the specific shortcut to the User Guide set to open in another browser?  I tried to open another web-based manual for comparison, and it opened in Edge.

Thanks,

Louise

Chris

I would check to see if edge is still your default browser, things can change without you realizing

Thats the only thing it could be

Sent: 28 January 2021 22:39
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

Hi.  I opened the NVDA User Guide to reference something, and I noticed that it didn't open in Microsoft Edge, which is set as my default browser.  Is the specific shortcut to the User Guide set to open in another browser?  I tried to open another web-based manual for comparison, and it opened in Edge.

Thanks,

Louise

Quentin Christensen

NVDA doesn't specify a browser to use, it launches the web page which opens in whatever your default browser for .html files is.  To check, you can launch the file manually.  Either:
- open the user guide from the help menu, select the address bar, paste into the address bar of File Explorer and press ENTER.
- Or if you have NVDA installed, go to: C:\Program Files (x86)\NVDA\documentation\en and press ENTER on any of the files.

You can check your default browser, by pressing the WINDOWS key, type "default apps" and press ENTER, then tab to "Web browser" .  if it's set to something other than what you want, press ENTER and select the desired browser from the list.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 10:10 AM Chris via groups.io <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

I would check to see if edge is still your default browser, things can change without you realizing

Thanks,

Louise

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I checked settings, and Edge is my default browser.  I could navigate to the address bar in Windows Explorer, but it wasn't read as an editable control.  I opened the NVDA user guide from the "Help" menu, "Start" menu, and the documentation folder in "Program Files" as described.  I just tried to open a different web-based manual from the one that I mentioned in the original post, and it also opened in another browser.  It doesn't look like this is unique to the NVDA user guide, as I first thought.  I haven't subscribed to the chat subgroup, because I get a lot of E-mail from the various groups I'm on.

Thanks,

Louise

Chris Mullins

Hi

Your default browser will be launched for http and https type links but I suspect the User Guide consists of a bunch of html files, so you have to check the Apps settings and you will probably find Edge is assigned to html.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 28 January 2021 23:10
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA User Guide doesn't open in default browser

Thanks,

Louise

Gene

The chat list has some discussion but it isn't a lot of mail. Also, you can go nomail on the chat list and switch to receiving mail when you pose a question.

It may be that your settings indicate that Edge is the default browser, but something is wrong and it actually isn't. Try making another browser the default, then making Edge the default again. In situations where the default setting was lost, or never was properly made, doing this often corrects the situation.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2021 11:42 PM

Hi. I checked settings, and Edge is my default browser. I could navigate to the address bar in Windows Explorer, but it wasn't read as an editable control. I opened the NVDA user guide from the "Help" menu, "Start" menu, and the documentation folder in "Program Files" as described. I just tried to open a different web-based manual from the one that I mentioned in the original post, and it also opened in another browser. It doesn't look like this is unique to the NVDA user guide, as I first thought. I haven't subscribed to the chat subgroup, because I get a lot of E-mail from the various groups I'm on.

Thanks,

Louise

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:42 AM, Louise Pfau wrote:
I haven't subscribed to the chat subgroup, because I get a lot of E-mail from the various groups I'm on.
-
This is not an encouragement (though I would encourage it) for you to join the Chat Subgroup, but for you to learn and use the tools that Groups.io gives you to control the traffic you actually get in your inbox for any/all of the groups you're subscribed to.

Groups.io allows the end user an exquisite level of control over what they do and do not receive as a subscriber to any group.  I wrote this tutorial so that people would have an easy reference guide as to how to control what they get:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

As Gene has noted, you can use the nomail option for any group and get nothing in your inbox, but can still check out that group on the Groups.io web interface.  You can also set up topic preview (detailed in the tutorial) where you get the first message in any new topic, but unless you choose to follow it, you will not receive any additional messages for that topic.  This can and does cut down on incoming traffic from a group immensely. 
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Jacob Kruger

One thought - besides setting a browser as the default browser, you can also, under windows 10, set separate defaults for file types, etc.?

As in, while the default browser could be set to one, there could be separate settings for file types like .htm, .html, etc.?

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
"...resistance is futile...but, acceptance is versatile..."

On 2021-01-29 04:22 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 12:42 AM, Louise Pfau wrote:
I haven't subscribed to the chat subgroup, because I get a lot of E-mail from the various groups I'm on.
-
This is not an encouragement (though I would encourage it) for you to join the Chat Subgroup, but for you to learn and use the tools that Groups.io gives you to control the traffic you actually get in your inbox for any/all of the groups you're subscribed to.

Groups.io allows the end user an exquisite level of control over what they do and do not receive as a subscriber to any group.  I wrote this tutorial so that people would have an easy reference guide as to how to control what they get:  Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx)

As Gene has noted, you can use the nomail option for any group and get nothing in your inbox, but can still check out that group on the Groups.io web interface.  You can also set up topic preview (detailed in the tutorial) where you get the first message in any new topic, but unless you choose to follow it, you will not receive any additional messages for that topic.  This can and does cut down on incoming traffic from a group immensely. 
--

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel

Jacob,

I've never seen that in practice, but that's a great potential cause.

This is almost certain to have its root cause in Windows, not NVDA, as all NVDA does is, essentially, say, "Windows, here's the HTML file for User Guide, take it and fire up whatever you've got set to open it."  After the handoff, NVDA is not involved at all.

--

~ Brian Vogel

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I checked the settings for filetypes, and the htm and html files are set to open in Edge, and are mentioned as Edge files.  I can't find a filetype for Chrome, which is the browser that some web-based documentation (including the NVDA user guide) has opened in.  When I uninstalled Chrome, they opened in Internet Explorer.  I reinstalled Chrome, and the documentation went back to opening there.  I won't fiddle around with the filetypes without knowing what I'm doing.

Thanks,

Louise

Chris Mullins

Hi Louise

You will not find a Chrome filetype because Chrome is the app and you’re associating a filetype with an App.  All you have to do is find .htm in the list of filetypes, tab to the associated button labelled as Microsoft Edge and activate it.  It will then give you a series of buttons, 1 for each browser you have installed and you just activate the one you now want to associate with the .htm filetype.  Yu will then return to the filetypes list, where you can then find the .html entry and repeat the above process.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 30 January 2021 19:49

Hi.  I checked the settings for filetypes, and the htm and html files are set to open in Edge, and are mentioned as Edge files.  I can't find a filetype for Chrome, which is the browser that some web-based documentation (including the NVDA user guide) has opened in.  When I uninstalled Chrome, they opened in Internet Explorer.  I reinstalled Chrome, and the documentation went back to opening there.  I won't fiddle around with the filetypes without knowing what I'm doing.

Thanks,

Louise

Chris Mullins

Hi Louise

Apologies, you don’t need to tab when you get to the .htm file entry in the list of filetypes, you are already on the correct button, so just activate it.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 30 January 2021 20:11

Hi Louise

You will not find a Chrome filetype because Chrome is the app and you’re associating a filetype with an App.  All you have to do is find .htm in the list of filetypes, tab to the associated button labelled as Microsoft Edge and activate it.  It will then give you a series of buttons, 1 for each browser you have installed and you just activate the one you now want to associate with the .htm filetype.  Yu will then return to the filetypes list, where you can then find the .html entry and repeat the above process.

Cheers

Chris

Thanks,

Louise

Chris

An easier option is to locate the userguide.html file in the NVDA installation directory in program files and open the file properties and under the open with section use the change button to select your preferred browser then hit ok and apply and ok again

Sent: 30 January 2021 20:18

Hi Louise

Apologies, you don’t need to tab when you get to the .htm file entry in the list of filetypes, you are already on the correct button, so just activate it.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 30 January 2021 20:11

Hi Louise

Cheers

Chris

Thanks,

Louise

Kerryn Gunness

hi

below is the user guide

to set default browser with win 10

1. open start menue, type default, you should hear default apps, press enter here
2. tab to web browser for example microsoft edge, press enter here
3. then tab again to choose google chrome for example and press enter
4. your default web browser will be set

copy the link above and paste it in chrome or just press enter on the link, when your default browser is set

kerryn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 30, 2021 3:49 PM

Thanks,

Louise

Chris Mullins

Hi

The original problem was that the default browser had been changed to Chrome as you described.  This action does not change the default app for .htm and .html, so when NVDA user guide was opened, it still used Edge.

Cheers

Chris  

Sent: 31 January 2021 11:25

hi

below is the user guide

1. open start menue, type default, you should hear default apps, press enter here

copy the link above and paste it in chrome or just press enter on the link, when your default browser is set

kerryn

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I had actually set my default browser to Edge using the procedure described when Internet Explorer was no longer supported.  There are still a few web-based documents that open in Chrome for some reason, or Internet Explorer when I temporarily uninstalled Chrome.  I'm sorry if there was any confusion.

Thanks,

Louise

Kerryn Gunness

cool

Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 8:37 AM

Hi

The original problem was that the default browser had been changed to Chrome as you described.  This action does not change the default app for .htm and .html, so when NVDA user guide was opened, it still used Edge.

Cheers

Chris  

Sent: 31 January 2021 11:25

hi

below is the user guide

kerryn

Thanks,

Louise

Louise Pfau

Hi.  When I opened the user guide from the NVDA website, it opened in Edge.  It seems to be the shortcuts to the user guide in the NVDA menus that open in another browser.

Thanks,

Louise

Sarah k Alawami

That does not seem possible. If you have your html files etc set to open in edge, all of them should open in  edge, at least that’s what I’ve been told over the years. Since nvda’s shortcut has to lead to an html help file, it should in theory open up in edge or what ever you set up to open html files.

Good luck.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Monday, February 1, 2021 11:10 AM

Hi.  When I opened the user guide from the NVDA website, it opened in Edge.  It seems to be the shortcuts to the user guide in the NVDA menus that open in another browser.

Thanks,

Louise

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 04:12 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
That [NVDA opening HTML files in something other than the default browser] does not seem possible.
-
And I'll declare that you are 100% correct.  I can change default browsers and every time I do, if I open the Keyboard Commands Quick Reference it opens in whatever the default browser is.

I stand by my earlier assertion that this is an idiosyncrasy on the machine in question.  And when you see that sort of idiosyncrasy, that is highly suggestive that there are likely to be others not yet encountered.  It makes sense to do one (or if necessary, both), of the following:

Using SFC (System File Checker) and DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) to Repair Windows 8 & 10

Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

--

~ Brian Vogel