Topics

NVDA using braille in multi-lingual text environment

Mary Otten

Hi all,

I have recently ordered a braille display. One of the things I'd like to do with it is access multi-lingual texts, e.g. websites, which have both English and cyrillic alphabets in use. In order to do that efficiently, one would need to have a braille table that included both of these alphabets, grade II English and uncontracted Russian, active at the same time, or somehow have a combined table with both at once. Is that possible? Where I use to work, we had that, but it was on a completely different system, built in house, based on unix, so not relevant here, I shouldn't think.

I know that on my iPhone, if I have the right voices available, the speech will switch easily from English to Russian, but that hasn't happened for me on the pc, even though I do have English and Russian voices installed from the same source. Maybe that's not even related. I just put it out there as an additional piece of info.

Mary

Jason White

On 12/30/20 12:29 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
I have recently ordered a braille display. One of the things I'd like to do with it is access multi-lingual texts, e.g. websites, which have both English and cyrillic alphabets in use. In order to do that efficiently, one would need to have a braille table that included both of these alphabets, grade II English and uncontracted Russian, active at the same time, or somehow have a combined table with both at once. Is that possible?
It's possible, but I don't know whether such a table is available. Note also that the BrailleExtender add-on for NVDA allows you to switch tables easily - not what you need in this case, but at least a short-term solution.

Mary Otten

Thanks, Jason. I will have to look into that add-on. Now for a stupid question. My experience with a display and a computer has been limited to typing on a regular keyboard and reading the output on the display, rather than typing using a braille keyboard; the displays we had didn't have keyboards. So when using a display with a braille keyboard, how does the proper encoding occur? I mean, if I typed on a regular keyboard, I would have to change my keyboard between English and cyrillic as appropriate. Does the braille table handle that functionality for braille input, such that I would switch back and forth between U.S. English grade II and Russian as appropriate? I hope that was clear. Also, can you have a usb keyboard connected and active, so that you would have the choice of typing on the braille keyboard of the display or your regular keyboard? I'm thinking that would be a nice thing, so you could avoid needing computer braille, for example.

Mary

Mary

On 12/30/20 1:12 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
My experience with a display and a computer has been limited to typing on a regular keyboard and reading the output on the display, rather than typing using a braille keyboard; the displays we had didn't have keyboards. So when using a display with a braille keyboard, how does the proper encoding occur?
You can select your input braille table as well as your output table. Of course, it is entirely your decision whether to enter text using the braille display's keyboard or the host system's qwerty keyboard - whichever is easiest under the circumstances.

Mary Otten

Thanks again, Jason. That makes sense. Sorry for the elementary questions.

Mary

On 12/30/2020 10:30 AM, Jason White via groups.io wrote:

On 12/30/20 1:12 PM, Mary Otten wrote:
My experience with a display and a computer has been limited to typing on a regular keyboard and reading the output on the display, rather than typing using a braille keyboard; the displays we had didn't have keyboards. So when using a display with a braille keyboard, how does the proper encoding occur?
You can select your input braille table as well as your output table. Of course, it is entirely your decision whether to enter text using the braille display's keyboard or the host system's qwerty keyboard - whichever is easiest under the circumstances.

Mary Otten

I was talking with a friend of mine who uses JAWS at work. He says that when using braille, he can see multi-language text properly presented in braille. I am not trying to do a JAWS is better post here. I am, however, interested to know if something like that could be made possible with NVDA. Apparently, in apps, such as Word, most web browsers and mail clients, if text is properly tagged with regard to its language, you get this seamless switching of braille tables in JAWS that presents the text properly. And it should do the same with speech, if the speech profile you have enabled has voices in it that will properly read your text. I know that does not happen with NVDA, because I can set my speech to my Ivona voices, where I have both Russian and English, but the language does not switch when I'm looking at a mixed language page. That is, unless there has been a recent change, since I haven't tried any mixed language pages on my pc recently, because it didn't work before, and I hadn't seen any notices that this had been changed.