Topics

NVDA verbosity question with outlook.

Dennis L <dennisl1982@...>

Hi, are there verbosity settings I need to change so that NVDA more closely speaks what Jaws does when I read the outlook status bar?  The first example is Jaws the second is NVDA.

Jaws. Items in View 45

Unread Items in View 9

Zoom 10%

Status Bar Items in View 45 Unread Items in View 8 Normal View. Show All Pinned Panes. Reading View. Hide All Pinned Panes. Zoom Out Zoom 0 Zoom In Zoom 10% Size box

Hi, are there verbosity settings I need to change so that NVDA more closely speaks what Jaws does when I read the outlook status bar?  The first example is Jaws the second is NVDA.

Jaws. Items in View 45

Unread Items in View 9

Zoom 10%

Status Bar Items in View 45 Unread Items in View 8 Normal View. Show All Pinned Panes. Reading View. Hide All Pinned Panes. Zoom Out Zoom 0 Zoom In Zoom 10% Size box

Quentin Christensen

Hi Dennis,

Firstly, I'm going to assume that you opened a message in between checking the status bar with Jaws (which counted 9 unread messages) and NVDA  (which reported 8 unread messages).

Ok, Outlook has a number of options for what it displays on its status bar.  Like Word, you can customise what is displayed, and like Word, you can manipulate some of the controls on the status bar.  In particular, you can change between normal and reading view and change the zoom.

To disable any of those items you don't want to use, press F6 to move the focus to the status bar, then press the applications key to open the context menu.  Use the arrow keys to move through the options and spacebar to check or uncheck items as you see fit.

Out of curiosity, does the same apply to other Office programs?  Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc?  Does NVDA read more of those items than Jaws?

I'll update our Switching from Jaws to NVDA guide once I know whether to note it as just for Outlook or all of Office.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 5:27 AM Dennis L <dennisl1982@...> wrote:

Jaws. Items in View 45

Unread Items in View 9

Zoom 10%

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

I Haven’t had a chance to test other office programs.  Unchecking them worked.  I have the status line speaking as I want now.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, May 11, 2020 2:21 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA verbosity question with outlook.

Hi Dennis,

Firstly, I'm going to assume that you opened a message in between checking the status bar with Jaws (which counted 9 unread messages) and NVDA  (which reported 8 unread messages).

Ok, Outlook has a number of options for what it displays on its status bar.  Like Word, you can customise what is displayed, and like Word, you can manipulate some of the controls on the status bar.  In particular, you can change between normal and reading view and change the zoom.

To disable any of those items you don't want to use, press F6 to move the focus to the status bar, then press the applications key to open the context menu.  Use the arrow keys to move through the options and spacebar to check or uncheck items as you see fit.

Out of curiosity, does the same apply to other Office programs?  Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc?  Does NVDA read more of those items than Jaws?

I'll update our Switching from Jaws to NVDA guide once I know whether to note it as just for Outlook or all of Office.

Kind regards

Quentin.

Jaws. Items in View 45

Unread Items in View 9

Zoom 10%

--

Quentin Christensen

One thing that would be helpful is having the ability to have NVDA read nothing when you open a message.  Jaws has this feature.  It is called  messages automatically read.  It could be off by default and allow the user to use it or not. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen

Hi Dennis,

Kind regards

Quentin.

Jaws. Items in View 45

Unread Items in View 9

Zoom 10%

--

Quentin Christensen

Hmmm while that would be an interesting feature, I'd then need a sound to tell me the message was open.

The fact it starts reading indicates the messages are open.

On 11/05/2020 6:59 pm, Dennis L wrote:

One thing that would be helpful is having the ability to have NVDA read nothing when you open a message.  Jaws has this feature.  It is called  messages automatically read.  It could be off by default and allow the user to use it or not. 

Hi Dennis,

Kind regards

Quentin.

Jaws. Items in View 45

Unread Items in View 9

Zoom 10%

--

Quentin Christensen

Sarah k Alawami

Actually since it takes a split second to open the message you really don't need a sound. Just do a 1 count or 5 count in your head then start reading the message.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page You will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 11 May 2020, at 3:16, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Hmmm while that would be an interesting feature, I'd then need a sound to tell me the message was open.

The fact it starts reading indicates the messages are open.

On 11/05/2020 6:59 pm, Dennis L wrote:

Hi Dennis,

Kind regards

Quentin.

Jaws. Items in View 45

Unread Items in View 9

Zoom 10%

--

Quentin Christensen