Topics

NVDA volume louder on lock screen/secure screens

Luke Robinett

Hi,

The volume of NVDA speech is louder on the lock screen and other secure screens than when I’m in the normal desktop. To make sure the NVDA settings for the secure screens are the same as the normal settings, I’ve selected the option to use these settings on secure screens from the General settings section of NVDA, but the problem remains. I’ve also tried adjusting the Windows volume separately when in a secure screen but the issue just comes right back next time I’m in a secure screen. I only always use the same eSpeak synth and the synth volume is always set to 100%.  Has anyone experienced this and can anyone think of troubleshooting steps I haven’t yet tried? Thanks.

Tyler Spivey

Go into the Windows volume control. Make sure that the system volume and NVDA are at the same level.

On 10/5/2020 4:40 PM, Luke Robinett wrote:
Hi,
The volume of NVDA speech is louder on the lock screen and other secure screens than when I’m in the normal desktop. To make sure the NVDA settings for the secure screens are the same as the normal settings, I’ve selected the option to use these settings on secure screens from the General settings section of NVDA, but the problem remains. I’ve also tried adjusting the Windows volume separately when in a secure screen but the issue just comes right back next time I’m in a secure screen. I only always use the same eSpeak synth and the synth volume is always set to 100%.  Has anyone experienced this and can anyone think of troubleshooting steps I haven’t yet tried? Thanks.

Quentin Christensen

Have you (in your regular NVDA profile) lowered the "volume" slider within NVDA's speech settings?  If you have changed that, you will need to go into General Settings and press the "Use the currently saved settings on the logon and other secure screens".  NVDA uses a special profile on the lock and other secure screens, so changes you make to your regular profile don't automatically get copied across.

Kind regards
Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sascha Cowley

Likewise here. NVDA's volume in the system sound mixer is at 100%, as is NVDA's speech volume on the desktop and secure screens.

Quentin Christensen

Have you definitely used the "Use currently saved settings during sign-in and on secure screens" option in NVDA"s general settings since you last saved your settings?

Have you got any other software running which might affect audio?  EG NVDA has an "Audio ducking" feature which (when enabled) lowers the sound of all other programs - could it be you have another program running which has a similar feature and is lowering the sound of NVDA normally (but that other program is not running on the lock screen)?

Otherwise, what sound card / driver do you have?  Maybe it is something to do with the model or software version?  If all those experiencing this could please post that information, we can try to see if there is any pattern there.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM Sascha Cowley via groups.io <sascha.camille=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Likewise here. NVDA's volume in the system sound mixer is at 100%, as is NVDA's speech volume on the desktop and secure screens.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I'm experiencing the increased volume in the secure screens with NVDA.  I didn't check the box to use the currently saved settings because I find the default settings useful in trying to determine that I'm in the secure screens.  When I checked what soundcard I'm using, the only information I got was "Windows default", which I know isn't really helpful.  My speakers are RealTek.

Louise