Topics

NVDA With Task Manager

Martin O'Sullivan

I am trying to get NVDA to work with task manager, and It just won't read out  any of the items.

I am having major issues with nvda running slowly, in all applications for the last few months.  it has become extremely  sluggish. even typing out this message it is now taking NVDA about 2 seconds to report back each letter press.

Is there any list of steps I can take to just make it go fast.

I have uninstalled it,
I have wiped my computer and still the same
My computer runs fine it is just NVDA which is slow.
I have no addons installed
I am running windows 10
Is there any graphics acceleration options I need to change?

So,  can we just put a go faster button on NVDA? :-)

Chris

Have you tried another synth ?,

Sent: 16 October 2020 11:06
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA With Task Manager

I am trying to get NVDA to work with task manager, and It just won't read out  any of the items.

I am having major issues with nvda running slowly, in all applications for the last few months.  it has become extremely  sluggish. even typing out this message it is now taking NVDA about 2 seconds to report back each letter press.

I have uninstalled it,

I am running windows 10

So,  can we just put a go faster button on NVDA? :-)

Gene

What speech are you using? The problem may be that NVDA is slow but you haven't said anything indicating that you have ruled out the synthesizer.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 5:06 AM

I am trying to get NVDA to work with task manager, and It just won't read out any of the items.

I am having major issues with nvda running slowly, in all applications for the last few months. it has become extremely sluggish. even typing out this message it is now taking NVDA about 2 seconds to report back each letter press.

I have uninstalled it,
I am running windows 10

So, can we just put a go faster button on NVDA? :-)

Gene

And if you have tried a different synthesizer, how does Narrator perform or a JAWS demo? We have no information at this point confirming that the problem is with NVDA or something else.

Gene

Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 5:54 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA With Task Manager

What speech are you using? The problem may be that NVDA is slow but you
haven't said anything indicating that you have ruled out the synthesizer.

Gene
Sent: Friday, October 16, 2020 5:06 AM

I am trying to get NVDA to work with task manager, and It just won't read
out any of the items.

I am having major issues with nvda running slowly, in all applications for
the last few months. it has become extremely sluggish. even typing out
this message it is now taking NVDA about 2 seconds to report back each
letter press.

I have uninstalled it,
I am running windows 10

So, can we just put a go faster button on NVDA? :-)

Martin O'Sullivan

Sorry should have mentioned that I have tried 3 synths, and they were all the same. 

I have also tried no speech, and got someone with site to watch as I used the computer and it was still lagging.

I turned the speech viewer tool on , and the sited person was able to see that most of the time that the computer would move the cursor, and then NVDA would output speech after a delay.

I went into windows settings and gave the following files  high performance on the Graphics performance settings.

nvda.exe

nvda_eoaProxy.exe

nvda_noUIAccess.exe

nvda_slave.exe

nvda_uiAccess.exe

If NVDA is not running the performance of the computer is not much different.  That is the computer seems to perform ok, however there is a delay from NVDA.

And here is another problem, which seems to me to be related.

Every so often NVDA will read the previous line and it will only read the line which I am on correctly once  I actually highlight that line.

There is no other way of getting it to read the line, it just will not read that text. Like never and I mean  never just will not read it.  It sees  the text in one line as another.  This is very hard to explain,

However, if you had one line which had the word cat, and another line which had the word dog,

Nvda would read the line which said cat, then you would arrow down to the line with the word dog, and nvda would say cat.

This problem  is intermittent. .

I just need it to go faster.

Luke Robinett

I experience noticeable slowness in the task manager screen as well. To be clear, I’m referring to the screen reached by pressing control alt delete followed by alt T, where I can access all running processes. It takes a long time for the list to be populated, but once it’s there, it’s good. I don’t have particular issues with NVDA slowness elsewhere though, so I don’t know if our issues are related. Hope you figure out the problem

On Oct 16, 2020, at 5:59 AM, Martin O'Sullivan <osumartin@...> wrote:

Sorry should have mentioned that I have tried 3 synths, and they were all the same. 

I have also tried no speech, and got someone with site to watch as I used the computer and it was still lagging.

I turned the speech viewer tool on , and the sited person was able to see that most of the time that the computer would move the cursor, and then NVDA would output speech after a delay.

I went into windows settings and gave the following files  high performance on the Graphics performance settings.

nvda.exe

nvda_eoaProxy.exe

nvda_noUIAccess.exe

nvda_slave.exe

nvda_uiAccess.exe

If NVDA is not running the performance of the computer is not much different.  That is the computer seems to perform ok, however there is a delay from NVDA.

Every so often NVDA will read the previous line and it will only read the line which I am on correctly once  I actually highlight that line.

There is no other way of getting it to read the line, it just will not read that text. Like never and I mean  never just will not read it.  It sees  the text in one line as another.  This is very hard to explain,

However, if you had one line which had the word cat, and another line which had the word dog,

Nvda would read the line which said cat, then you would arrow down to the line with the word dog, and nvda would say cat.

Chris

Have you tried narrator?

What happens then?

Or check task manager for what is consuming all your CPU

It may not be necessarily  an nvda issue

Usually this sort of thing is down to a low end spec machine if nothing else is apparent

Sent: 16 October 2020 13:59

nvda.exe

nvda_eoaProxy.exe

nvda_noUIAccess.exe

nvda_slave.exe

nvda_uiAccess.exe

Chris Smart

That's true about slower machines. There is an alternative though, a utility that can get classic old Task Manager in Windows 10 back.

https://winaero.com/get-classic-old-task-manager-in-windows-10/

Well, I have definitely noticed that it takes a lot longer for Task Manager to "become active" if you use the detailed view for processes than it did in days past, but that's whether I have a screen reader active at the moment or not.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

It’s hard waking up and realizing it’s not always black and white.

~ Kelley Boorn

JM Casey

Imo the new task manager is much better. I used to use Process Explorer instead of the old (so called classic) task manager, but I don't bother with it much anymore (well, it also doesn't work great with nVDA, to be fair...)
I did notice that there were huge and annoying lag for my screen-readers (never tried narrator though) with both task manager and settings apps...I mean, having to wait five or six seconds between a key press and speech output. Thankfully this "went away' several windows updates back, though I'm not really sure when.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Smart
Sent: October 16, 2020 12:29 PM

That's true about slower machines. There is an alternative though, a utility that can get classic old Task Manager in Windows 10 back.

Richard Wells

I love the old task manager! It is great to have it back. I did run into
the same problem on the winaero site that I described in another thread.
The download link would not work using NVDA and Chrome latest. I had to
copy the URL from the context menu and the run dialog to get the
installer to download.

On 10/16/2020 12:06 PM, JM Casey wrote:
Imo the new task manager is much better. I used to use Process Explorer instead of the old (so called classic) task manager, but I don't bother with it much anymore (well, it also doesn't work great with nVDA, to be fair...)
I did notice that there were huge and annoying lag for my screen-readers (never tried narrator though) with both task manager and settings apps...I mean, having to wait five or six seconds between a key press and speech output. Thankfully this "went away' several windows updates back, though I'm not really sure when.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Smart
Sent: October 16, 2020 12:29 PM

Quentin Christensen

Are you using any NVDA add-ons?  Also, have you restarted the PC lately?

And actually - why were you trying to access task manager in the first place?  Just thinking if you were accessing it because something was misbehaving and making the system sluggish..... then that might be your culprit :)

On Sat, Oct 17, 2020 at 4:34 AM Richard Wells <richwels@...> wrote:
I love the old task manager! It is great to have it back. I did run into
the same problem on the winaero site that I described in another thread.
The download link would not work using NVDA and Chrome latest. I had to
copy the URL from the context menu and the run dialog to get the
installer to download.

On 10/16/2020 12:06 PM, JM Casey wrote:
> Imo the new task manager is much better. I used to use Process Explorer instead of the old (so called classic) task manager, but I don't bother with it much anymore (well, it also doesn't work great with nVDA, to be fair...)
> I did notice that there were huge and annoying lag for my screen-readers (never tried narrator though) with both task manager and settings apps...I mean, having to wait five or six seconds between a key press and speech output. Thankfully this "went away' several windows updates back, though I'm not really sure when.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Smart
> Sent: October 16, 2020 12:29 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA With Task Manager
>
> That's true about slower machines. There is an alternative though, a utility that can get classic old Task Manager in Windows 10 back.
>
> https://winaero.com/get-classic-old-task-manager-in-windows-10/
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Martin O'Sullivan

Well I have managed to resolve the problem.

I used the following command to give NVDA a Realtime priority on the system.

wmic process where name="nvda.exe" CALL set priority 256

NVDA is working faster than it ever did.

The reason I was using task manager is that NVDA was slow.

I also found out why NVDA was slow.  Looks like my company is running some sort of data processing screen saver in the background (World Community Grid) which is working on testing for bloody covid.  So, I am giving NVDA higher priority than a deadly virus.

Martin, with the computer you are working on is this your computer or is it just a computer you personally use at work.

If its not shared, I wander if you can ask your company to remove the screen reader, if not uninstall it completely at least have it not run on your account.

If its a system you usually use, can you ask the company to simply remove the reader saying it interfiers with the reader?

On a lot of systems I service weather family or for places I usually work with, in addition to all the accounts, I also have an admin account with a password.

This has everything including startup and such as little as possible.

This includes thirdparty security, chat and other software so at least I can work in this account without a problem.

Either that or ask the company to have the screen saver at a lower priority when you are using the system or the system is being used.

To be honest if this is a something you usually use and no one needs to access it then you should just disable the screen saver alltogether and use screen curtain.

I do not have any extras running on the system, bar the drivers needed to make it work.

On the workstations I do need to run 1drive, dropbox and google sync for the cloud storage as well as icloud but thats it.

Saying that I have people I maintain that insist on having various things like spotify, skype, and several other things they need active at startup running at once and yeah its a real pain to get about.

Thing is these data collection systems should be only running when the thing is not being used.

On 19/10/2020 9:55 pm, Martin O'Sullivan wrote:

I also found out why NVDA was slow.  Looks like my company is running some sort of data processing screen saver in the background (World Community Grid) which is working on testing for bloody covid.  So, I am giving NVDA higher priority than a deadly virus.

Martin O'Sullivan

It is my computer at work, I have disabled  the screen saver, as I am working from home. so, it works well now. 

Actually, it is like NVDA is on speed. 

To keep NVDA functioning over the last few weeks I tweaked every setting I could only found that the screen saver was processing data last Friday. so now with the screen saver disabled, and all the other tweaks NVDA runs very well.

Chris Smart

Hmm, will that work with the Shark product too I wonder? Now that one definitely lags!

On 2020-10-19 4:55 a.m., Martin O'Sullivan wrote:

Chris Smart

I just got an error trying that at the Windows 10 CLI:

"set invalid alias verb"

Please advise.

Chris

Quentin Christensen

I might have missed something here, but shouldn't the screen saver only come on after there is no activity on the PC for awhile?  I know we had an issue at one time where if you were reading a particularly long piece of text (which took longer to read than the timeout for the screensaver) it would stop reading when the screensaver starter.  I think we actually resolved that one, but that's about the only instance I can think of where the screensaver should cause a problem?

The only other "screensaver" type thing which can be problematic, is there are a few "distributed computing" programs around now like BOINC and Folding @ Home and others.  They use your computer's idle time (when the processor isn't busy doing anything else) to compute various things from finding cures for cancer (or Covid_19), to searching for alien life and anything else you can think of which would take a lot of computing power.  Sometimes those programs will keep trying to use processing power even when you are using the PC, and this can cause significant degradation of performance with screenreaders (and even in general without using a screenreader).

Otherwise, I'd be interested to learn more about the screenreader causing problems.

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 1:11 AM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

"set invalid alias verb"

Please advise.

Chris

> Well I have managed to resolve the problem.
>
> I used the following command to give NVDA a Realtime priority on the system.
>
> wmic process where name="nvda.exe" CALL set priority 256
>
> NVDA is working faster than it ever did.
>
> The reason I was using task manager is that NVDA was slow.
>
> I also found out why NVDA was slow.  Looks like my company is running some sort of data processing screen saver in the background (World Community Grid) which is working on testing for bloody covid.  So, I am giving NVDA higher priority than a deadly virus.
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Quentin Christensen

Yes that is what I thought to.
A lot of these things should only process data while idol.
Of course, if the company in question is having this on their servers
it may simply be set to do whatever it does whenever something is
idol.
That could mean that when you run nvda it may actually take time to
stop whatever then go back.
Of course, having used nvda with some extensive opperations from time
to time, you really don't need to do much to break nvda completely or
slow it down such that its broken unless you reboot.
Excluding waterfox, I have had this happen with some of my recording
programs and with some converters and the like.
Most of the time things come back after a bit or after the app is done
but sometimes depending where all the automated whatevers are at and
so on, I have had situations where things have screwed over and I have
had to reboot but who knows.
Of course if this thing is configured to run taking any idol data asnd
assuming its installed on all the systems it actually may be
monitoring for any idol time available.
This is only a guess, so that being the case I doubt the system can
differentiate exactly what that means.
Nvda to be honest doesn't use that much power generally, I mean it
could run at a stretch on singlecore systems, so depending on addons
and synth used, nvda really doesn't need that much cpu power at all.
As for it being an app, its almost an old style tsr as supposed to an
active thing sitting in systray.
So maybe the saver doesn't reguard it as an active process, and in
some ways it would be right.
Nvda really doesn't process much data by itself all the time if at all.
However it is effected by everything else around it.
Its one of the querks.
Its like the enhanced soundcard issues.
Those enhancements are to hide the small speaker issues with laptops.
They work well with speech in movies and music but tts just aint long
enough a loop to process correctly.

On 20/10/2020, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:
I might have missed something here, but shouldn't the screen saver only
come on after there is no activity on the PC for awhile? I know we had an
issue at one time where if you were reading a particularly long piece of
text (which took longer to read than the timeout for the screensaver) it
would stop reading when the screensaver starter. I think we actually
resolved that one, but that's about the only instance I can think of where
the screensaver should cause a problem?

The only other "screensaver" type thing which can be problematic, is there
are a few "distributed computing" programs around now like BOINC and
Folding @ Home and others. They use your computer's idle time (when the
processor isn't busy doing anything else) to compute various things from
finding cures for cancer (or Covid_19), to searching for alien life and
anything else you can think of which would take a lot of computing power.
Sometimes those programs will keep trying to use processing power even when
you are using the PC, and this can cause significant degradation of
performance with screenreaders (and even in general without using a
screenreader).

Otherwise, I'd be interested to learn more about the screenreader causing
problems.

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 1:11 AM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

"set invalid alias verb"

Please advise.

Chris

I used the following command to give NVDA a Realtime priority on the
system.

I also found out why NVDA was slow. Looks like my company is running
some sort of data processing screen saver in the background (World
Community Grid) which is working on testing for bloody covid. So, I am
giving NVDA higher priority than a deadly virus.

--
Quentin Christensen

Web: www.nvaccess.org
Training: https://www.nvaccess.org/shop/
Certification: https://certification.nvaccess.org/
User group: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess <https://twitter.com/NVAccess>