From: Martin O'Sullivan
Sent: 16 October 2020 11:06
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA With Task Manager

I am trying to get NVDA to work with task manager, and It just won't read out  any of the items.

I am having major issues with nvda running slowly, in all applications for the last few months.  it has become extremely  sluggish. even typing out this message it is now taking NVDA about 2 seconds to report back each letter press.

Is there any list of steps I can take to just make it go fast.

I have uninstalled it,

I have wiped my computer and still the same

My computer runs fine it is just NVDA which is slow.

I have no addons installed

I am running windows 10

Is there any graphics acceleration options I need to change?

So,  can we just put a go faster button on NVDA? :-)

Gene

What speech are you using? The problem may be that NVDA is slow but you haven't said anything indicating that you have ruled out the synthesizer.

I am trying to get NVDA to work with task manager, and It just won't read out any of the items.

I am having major issues with nvda running slowly, in all applications for the last few months. it has become extremely sluggish. even typing out this message it is now taking NVDA about 2 seconds to report back each letter press.

Is there any list of steps I can take to just make it go fast.

I have uninstalled it,
I have wiped my computer and still the same
My computer runs fine it is just NVDA which is slow.
I have no addons installed
I am running windows 10
Is there any graphics acceleration options I need to change?

So, can we just put a go faster button on NVDA? :-)

Gene

And if you have tried a different synthesizer, how does Narrator perform or a JAWS demo? We have no information at this point confirming that the problem is with NVDA or something else.

[...]

Martin O'Sullivan

Sorry should have mentioned that I have tried 3 synths, and they were all the same.

I have also tried no speech, and got someone with site to watch as I used the computer and it was still lagging.

I turned the speech viewer tool on , and the sited person was able to see that most of the time that the computer would move the cursor, and then NVDA would output speech after a delay.

I went into windows settings and gave the following files  high performance on the Graphics performance settings.

nvda.exe

nvda_eoaProxy.exe

nvda_noUIAccess.exe

nvda_slave.exe

nvda_uiAccess.exe

If NVDA is not running the performance of the computer is not much different.  That is the computer seems to perform ok, however there is a delay from NVDA.

And here is another problem, which seems to me to be related.

Every so often NVDA will read the previous line and it will only read the line which I am on correctly once  I actually highlight that line.

There is no other way of getting it to read the line, it just will not read that text. Like never and I mean  never just will not read it.  It sees  the text in one line as another.  This is very hard to explain,

However, if you had one line which had the word cat, and another line which had the word dog,

Nvda would read the line which said cat, then you would arrow down to the line with the word dog, and nvda would say cat.

This problem  is intermittent. .

I just need it to go faster.

Luke Robinett

I experience noticeable slowness in the task manager screen as well. To be clear, I’m referring to the screen reached by pressing control alt delete followed by alt T, where I can access all running processes. It takes a long time for the list to be populated, but once it’s there, it’s good. I don’t have particular issues with NVDA slowness elsewhere though, so I don’t know if our issues are related. Hope you figure out the problem

On Oct 16, 2020, at 5:59 AM, Martin O'Sullivan <osumartin@...> wrote:

[...]

Chris

Have you tried narrator?

What happens then?

Or check task manager for what is consuming all your CPU

It may not be necessarily  an nvda issue

Usually this sort of thing is down to a low end spec machine if nothing else is apparent

[...]

Chris Smart

That's true about slower machines. There is an alternative though, a utility that can get classic old Task Manager in Windows 10 back.

https://winaero.com/get-classic-old-task-manager-in-windows-10/

Well, I have definitely noticed that it takes a lot longer for Task Manager to "become active" if you use the detailed view for processes than it did in days past, but that's whether I have a screen reader active at the moment or not.

     ~ Kelley Boorn

JM Casey

Imo the new task manager is much better. I used to use Process Explorer instead of the old (so called classic) task manager, but I don't bother with it much anymore (well, it also doesn't work great with nVDA, to be fair...)
I did notice that there were huge and annoying lag for my screen-readers (never tried narrator though) with both task manager and settings apps...I mean, having to wait five or six seconds between a key press and speech output. Thankfully this "went away' several windows updates back, though I'm not really sure when.

On 2020-10-19 4:55 a.m., Martin O'Sullivan wrote:
Well I have managed to resolve the problem.

I used the following command to give NVDA a Realtime priority on the system.

wmic process where name="nvda.exe" CALL set priority 256

NVDA is working faster than it ever did.

The reason I was using task manager is that NVDA was slow.

I also found out why NVDA was slow.  Looks like my company is running some sort of data processing screen saver in the background (World Community Grid) which is working on testing for bloody covid.  So, I am giving NVDA higher priority than a deadly virus.

Chris Smart

I just got an error trying that at the Windows 10 CLI:

"set invalid alias verb"

Please advise.

Chris

On 2020-10-19 4:55 a.m., Martin O'Sullivan wrote:
Well I have managed to resolve the problem.

I used the following command to give NVDA a Realtime priority on the system.

wmic process where name="nvda.exe" CALL set priority 256

NVDA is working faster than it ever did.

The reason I was using task manager is that NVDA was slow.

I also found out why NVDA was slow.  Looks like my company is running some sort of data processing screen saver in the background (World Community Grid) which is working on testing for bloody covid.  So, I am giving NVDA higher priority than a deadly virus.

Quentin Christensen

I might have missed something here, but shouldn't the screen saver only come on after there is no activity on the PC for awhile?  I know we had an issue at one time where if you were reading a particularly long piece of text (which took longer to read than the timeout for the screensaver) it would stop reading when the screensaver starter.  I think we actually resolved that one, but that's about the only instance I can think of where the screensaver should cause a problem?

The only other "screensaver" type thing which can be problematic, is there are a few "distributed computing" programs around now like BOINC and Folding @ Home and others.  They use your computer's idle time (when the processor isn't busy doing anything else) to compute various things from finding cures for cancer (or Covid_19), to searching for alien life and anything else you can think of which would take a lot of computing power.  Sometimes those programs will keep trying to use processing power even when you are using the PC, and this can cause significant degradation of performance with screenreaders (and even in general without using a screenreader).

Otherwise, I'd be interested to learn more about the screenreader causing problems.

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Yes that is what I thought to.
A lot of these things should only process data while idol.
Of course, if the company in question is having this on their servers
it may simply be set to do whatever it does whenever something is
idol.
That could mean that when you run nvda it may actually take time to
stop whatever then go back.
Of course, having used nvda with some extensive opperations from time
to time, you really don't need to do much to break nvda completely or
slow it down such that its broken unless you reboot.
Excluding waterfox, I have had this happen with some of my recording
programs and with some converters and the like.
Most of the time things come back after a bit or after the app is done
but sometimes depending where all the automated whatevers are at and
so on, I have had situations where things have screwed over and I have
had to reboot but who knows.
Of course if this thing is configured to run taking any idol data asnd
assuming its installed on all the systems it actually may be
monitoring for any idol time available.
This is only a guess, so that being the case I doubt the system can
differentiate exactly what that means.
Nvda to be honest doesn't use that much power generally, I mean it
could run at a stretch on singlecore systems, so depending on addons
and synth used, nvda really doesn't need that much cpu power at all.
As for it being an app, its almost an old style tsr as supposed to an
active thing sitting in systray.
So maybe the saver doesn't reguard it as an active process, and in
some ways it would be right.
Nvda really doesn't process much data by itself all the time if at all.
However it is effected by everything else around it.
Its one of the querks.
Its like the enhanced soundcard issues.
Those enhancements are to hide the small speaker issues with laptops.
They work well with speech in movies and music but tts just aint long
enough a loop to process correctly.

Web: www.nvaccess.org