Topics

NVDA with updated Windows Essentials

Dave Grossoehme

Good Morning:  Has anybody else noticed a change in Thunderbird after making the most update of Windows Essentials?  .  This would be version 20.04 with NVDA 1903.  This problem occurs on an insider version of windows, so, it might make a difference.  When in thunderbird I hear that one message has been deleted, when deleting a message before going on to read the next message.

Dave

Hi,
Is this the case for people using old Thunderbird releases? If not, this might be something to do with TB 75. To better understand this though, I need a debug log (restart NVDA with debug logging enabled, use Thunderbird, as soon as you hear "message deleted", press NVDA+F1 to open log viewer, copy and paste everything as a private email to me as debug log will give you all sorts of information such as keys you've pressed).
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Grossoehme
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:46 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] NVDA with updated Windows Essentials

Good Morning: Has anybody else noticed a change in Thunderbird after making the most update of Windows Essentials? . This would be version
20.04 with NVDA 1903. This problem occurs on an insider version of windows, so, it might make a difference. When in thunderbird I hear that one message has been deleted, when deleting a message before going on to read the next message.

Dave

Betsy Grenevitch

Joseph, I do not know the command for "debug lockdown". I will gladly do that for you if you can give me the command because the latest update on either Thunderbird or something else has definitely caused the program to be sluggish.

Thanks so much for all you do. I am definitely hoping to donate to NV Access some time this year.

On 4/1/2020 12:29 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Is this the case for people using old Thunderbird releases? If not, this might be something to do with TB 75. To better understand this though, I need a debug log (restart NVDA with debug logging enabled, use Thunderbird, as soon as you hear "message deleted", press NVDA+F1 to open log viewer, copy and paste everything as a private email to me as debug log will give you all sorts of information such as keys you've pressed).
Cheers,
Joseph

Good Morning: Has anybody else noticed a change in Thunderbird after making the most update of Windows Essentials? . This would be version
20.04 with NVDA 1903. This problem occurs on an insider version of windows, so, it might make a difference. When in thunderbird I hear that one message has been deleted, when deleting a message before going on to read the next message.

Dave

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Hi,
Before we get into debugging things, can you try running with add-ons disabled (press NVDA+Q, select "restart with add-ons disabled") and see if NVDA slows down?
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Betsy Grenevitch
Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA with updated Windows Essentials

Joseph, I do not know the command for "debug lockdown". I will gladly do that for you if you can give me the command because the latest update on either Thunderbird or something else has definitely caused the program to be sluggish.

Thanks so much for all you do. I am definitely hoping to donate to NV Access some time this year.

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Dave

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

Joseph, I do not even know how to do this. I just know what I use every day and that is about it.

On 4/1/2020 7:04 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Before we get into debugging things, can you try running with add-ons disabled (press NVDA+Q, select "restart with add-ons disabled") and see if NVDA slows down?
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Dave

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876

Hi,
Hmmm... Let's try this:
1. Press NvDA+Q.
2. When Exit NVDA dialog appears, press R until you arrive at "restart with add-ons disabled".
3. Press Enter. This will restart NVDA with add-ons (including Windows 10 App Essentials) turned off, possibly using Windows OneCore speech synthesizer.
4. Use Thunderbird as usual.
5. See if NVDA becomes sluggish or announces odd things.
6. Restart NVDA (press NVDA+Q, select "restart", and press Enter). This will restore add-ons.
7. Use Thunderbird as usual and see if NVDA becomes slow to respond or says odd things.
In effect, what the above steps will do is let you compare how NVDA is doing with and without add-ons. If you don't have any add-ons installed (which you can check by opening NVDA menu (NVDA+N)(, Tools, Manage add-ons and looking at how many items are in the resulting add-ons list; if it is 0, there is no add-on), the above steps won't matter, as clearly it is with Thunderbird, something Mozilla must be notified (way beyond NVDA unless somehow it involves certain parts of NVDA).
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 8:12 PM

Joseph, I do not even know how to do this. I just know what I use every day and that is about it.

On 4/1/2020 7:04 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Dave

--
Betsy Grenevitch
678-862-3876