NVDA with Windows Mail

Mani Iyer

Hello all,
As a new Lerner of NVDA , I would like to know if there is an NVDA command to jump directly to the message list from a folder. Right now, I am tabbing through several controls before landing on the message list. Is there a better way

Also, On a more generic level, is it necessary to know if you are in browse mode or focus mode? If so, under what circumstances?

Thank you.

Warmly,
Mani

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi,

As far as the mail app, there’s a way to get back to the inbox from another folder. It’s shift control I. I don’t know about the other questions.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 10:42 AM, Mani Iyer wrote:
On a more generic level, is it necessary to know if you are in browse mode or focus mode? If so, under what circumstances?
-
Well, it certainly can be, if you accidentally shift from one to the other when you want to be in whatever one you're not in.  NVDA, like JAWS and other screen readers, auto switches between the modes, particularly when browsing the web, as you land on things that require you to be in one mode or the other to use them as they're generally intended to be used.

Focus mode is what's commonly necessary for any field that requires data entry.  Browse mode is most common otherwise, where you want something read, but you're not able to interact with it otherwise.  You can toggle between browse and focus modes with NVDA + Spacebar, and there is a sound associated with each, and I won't attempt to describe them, as it's easier just to land in a fillable field, where you should automatically get the "typewriter-ish" sound for focus mode when you land in it, and if you hit NVDA + Spacebar, you'll get the sound that indicates browse mode is back on again while you are still sitting in that edit box.  You can also hit Escape if you have been auto-switched to focus mode to toggle back to browse mode.

It's difficult to come up with any generic example of where you might need to manually toggle between browse and focus modes, but they do exist.

I despise the Windows 10 Mail client myself, so I can't be of any real help there.

         ~ Vance Packard

Chris Mullins

Hi

It’s more a way of how you access the folder list in Windows Mail.  You can jump to the folder list (from almost any location within the Mail app except when editing a message) by pressing Control+y, use down/up arrows to navigate the folder list then press enter on the folder you want to view the contents of.  NVDA announces "Loading" and the messages in the chosen folder populate the list control.  The load time taken and quantity of messages loaded is determined by what you have selected in the Mail Settings       , Manage Accounts, Change Mailbox Synch Settings dialog.  My setting loads the last month of messages and I usually wait a few seconds, then press shift+tab to move focus to the message list.

Cheers

                Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows