Topics

NVDA won't install on win10

David Mehler

Hello,

I've got a win10 1803 laptop that is not accepting me trying to run
NVDA portable from a thumb drive, keeps saying I can only install apps
from the microsoft store, I have never seen a setting that will not
allow an NVDA install. How do I fix this?

Thanks.
Dave.

Ali Savas

Hi David,

maybe you have a notebook with Windows 10 S. Or the system is configured
so that only applications from the store can be installed.

To be sure, please open the system dialog and see what it says there.
There you will also find the Windows edition.

Best regards
Ali

Dave,

           If this machine is still on 1803, that's long out of support now.  The first order of business is Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file, to get yourself on 1909.

           What information is given to you when you hit the Windows Key, immediately type winver, then hit enter?  That would be the starting point for determining edition of Windows 10 involved.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Sounds like the school edition of it where it only accepts it from the store and no other place.

I think you can pay some money to make it a full version but if it is a school computer he may not be able to.

In the search box of windows type winver then enter key hopefully it say what it is and not come across one it might have a letter at the end of that version.

I thought at one time there was a copy of nvda put into the store but you could not add ons to it.

Joseph might know more about that.

Gene nz

On 9/05/2020 7:56 am, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,

I've got a win10 1803 laptop that is not accepting me trying to run
NVDA portable from a thumb drive, keeps saying I can only install apps
from the microsoft store, I have never seen a setting that will not
allow an NVDA install. How do I fix this?

Thanks.
Dave.

Richard Wells

Your Windows 10 machine is in what is called S Mode. You will need to go
to the Windows App Store to change this.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

On 5/8/2020 2:56 PM, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,

I've got a win10 1803 laptop that is not accepting me trying to run
NVDA portable from a thumb drive, keeps saying I can only install apps
from the microsoft store, I have never seen a setting that will not
allow an NVDA install. How do I fix this?

Thanks.
Dave.

David Mehler

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I got the machine fixed. It was
in s mode, the narrator on it wasn't speaking well at all so I
borrowed a pair of eyes, got it out of s mode, and then was able to do
an NVDA install. After that an update from 1803 to 1909 and the
machine was humming along much better.
Again thanks.
Dave.

On 5/8/20, Richard Wells <richwels@...> wrote:
Your Windows 10 machine is in what is called S Mode. You will need to go
to the Windows App Store to change this.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

On 5/8/2020 2:56 PM, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,

I've got a win10 1803 laptop that is not accepting me trying to run
NVDA portable from a thumb drive, keeps saying I can only install apps
from the microsoft store, I have never seen a setting that will not
allow an NVDA install. How do I fix this?

Thanks.
Dave.

Arlene

Good you got it fixed.  What a pain in the but you had to get a sighted person to help you get it out of safe mode. I wished Microsoft created some sort of talking softwear  to get us out. That’s if you can’t get a sighted person to help. If you live with one or have access to someone who can help. Great. Some of us blind folk may not be as fortunate to have a sighted person near.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I got the machine fixed. It was

in s mode, the narrator on it wasn't speaking well at all so I

borrowed a pair of eyes, got it out of s mode, and then was able to do

an NVDA install. After that an update from 1803 to 1909 and the

machine was humming along much better.

Again thanks.

Dave.

On 5/8/20, Richard Wells <richwels@...> wrote:

> Your Windows 10 machine is in what is called S Mode. You will need to go

> to the Windows App Store to change this.

> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

> On 5/8/2020 2:56 PM, David Mehler wrote:

>> Hello,

>> I've got a win10 1803 laptop that is not accepting me trying to run

>> NVDA portable from a thumb drive, keeps saying I can only install apps

>> from the microsoft store, I have never seen a setting that will not

>> allow an NVDA install. How do I fix this?

>> Thanks.

>> Dave.

Deenadayalan Moodley

Hi,

One way I have used in the past is to use a registry entry hack to have your sound drivers come up in “safe mode”.  When I had to then go in to “safe mode” I could use NVDA. I have not tested this on Windows 10 yet.

Thanks.

Good you got it fixed.  What a pain in the but you had to get a sighted person to help you get it out of safe mode. I wished Microsoft created some sort of talking softwear  to get us out. That’s if you can’t get a sighted person to help. If you live with one or have access to someone who can help. Great. Some of us blind folk may not be as fortunate to have a sighted person near.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I got the machine fixed. It was

in s mode, the narrator on it wasn't speaking well at all so I

borrowed a pair of eyes, got it out of s mode, and then was able to do

an NVDA install. After that an update from 1803 to 1909 and the

machine was humming along much better.

Again thanks.

Dave.

On 5/8/20, Richard Wells <richwels@...> wrote:

> Your Windows 10 machine is in what is called S Mode. You will need to go

> to the Windows App Store to change this.

> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

> On 5/8/2020 2:56 PM, David Mehler wrote:

>> Hello,

>> I've got a win10 1803 laptop that is not accepting me trying to run

>> NVDA portable from a thumb drive, keeps saying I can only install apps

>> from the microsoft store, I have never seen a setting that will not

>> allow an NVDA install. How do I fix this?

>> Thanks.

>> Dave.

Richard Wells

Folks: please don't get safe mode mixed up with S mode. Safe mode is loading Windows with minimal software and drivers running and S mode is Windows fully running with protection from installing any desktop applications. Only apps from the Microsoft Store will run in that mode.

On 5/8/2020 10:21 PM, Deenadayalan Moodley wrote:

Hi,

One way I have used in the past is to use a registry entry hack to have your sound drivers come up in “safe mode”.  When I had to then go in to “safe mode” I could use NVDA. I have not tested this on Windows 10 yet.

Thanks.

Good you got it fixed.  What a pain in the but you had to get a sighted person to help you get it out of safe mode. I wished Microsoft created some sort of talking softwear  to get us out. That’s if you can’t get a sighted person to help. If you live with one or have access to someone who can help. Great. Some of us blind folk may not be as fortunate to have a sighted person near.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I got the machine fixed. It was

in s mode, the narrator on it wasn't speaking well at all so I

borrowed a pair of eyes, got it out of s mode, and then was able to do

an NVDA install. After that an update from 1803 to 1909 and the

machine was humming along much better.

Again thanks.

Dave.

On 5/8/20, Richard Wells <richwels@...> wrote:

> Your Windows 10 machine is in what is called S Mode. You will need to go

> to the Windows App Store to change this.

> https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

> On 5/8/2020 2:56 PM, David Mehler wrote:

>> Hello,

>> I've got a win10 1803 laptop that is not accepting me trying to run

>> NVDA portable from a thumb drive, keeps saying I can only install apps

>> from the microsoft store, I have never seen a setting that will not

>> allow an NVDA install. How do I fix this?

>> Thanks.

>> Dave.

Luke Davis

On Fri, 8 May 2020, Arlene wrote:

Good you got it fixed.  What a pain in the but you had to get a sighted person to help you get it out of safe mode. I wished Microsoft created some sort of
talking softwear  to get us out. That’s if you can’t get a sighted person to help. If you live with one or have access to someone who can help. Great. Some
of us blind folk may not be as fortunate to have a sighted person near.
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can use the Be My Eyes app to video call Microsoft tech support, who can usually help you with such situations. If not them, you can try a friend on Facetime. There are a lot of options these days if you have the right equipment.

Luke

Hi,
One huge clarification: S mode is not the same thing as safe mode.
Cheers,
Joseph

Good you got it fixed. What a pain in the but you had to get a
sighted person to help you get it out of safe mode. I wished Microsoft
created some sort of talking softwear to get us out. That’s if you can’t get a sighted person to help. If you live with one or have access to someone who can help. Great. Some of us blind folk may not be as fortunate to have a sighted person near.
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can use the Be My Eyes app to video call Microsoft tech support, who can usually help you with such situations. If not them, you can try a friend on Facetime. There are a lot of options these days if you have the right equipment.

Luke

Angelo Sonnesso

Does Narrator work in safe mode?

73 N2DYN Angelo

[...]

Yes - both safe mode and S mode.
Cheers,
Joseph

One huge clarification: S mode is not the same thing as safe mode.
Cheers,
Joseph

Good you got it fixed. What a pain in the but you had to get a
sighted person to help you get it out of safe mode. I wished Microsoft
created some sort of talking softwear to get us out. That's if you
can't get a sighted person to help. If you live with one or have
access to someone who can help. Great. Some of us blind folk may not
be as fortunate to have a sighted person near.
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can use the Be My Eyes app to video call
Microsoft tech support, who can usually help you with such situations. If
not them, you can try a friend on Facetime. There are a lot of options these
days if you have the right equipment.

Luke

Angelo Sonnesso

What is S mode?