NVDA - Working with Math and Sound Themes

cisco

Hello everyone,

I’m quite sorry that I could not think of an easier to understand subject but I am not good at that.

Also, I am sorry if one or both of the questions I am going to ask had to be asked on the chat group.

My first questions is, is there any software that a blind highschooler can use in conjunction with NvDA to do their math work?

My second question is, does anyone have an NVDA sound theme which has android’s talkback sounds and which is also compatible with the “Audio Themes” NVDA add-on?

Thank you for any answer, and again, I’m sorry for all I said above.

Best regards.

Francisco.

Quentin Christensen

HI there,

For the first part, see the NVDA user guide section on reading mathematical content: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#ReadingMath

The main software is MathPlayer and MathType.

For the sound themes question, I'll leave that for someone else, I haven't looked into it myself.

Quentin.

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 2:49 AM cisco <audiogamer2004@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I’m quite sorry that I could not think of an easier to understand subject but I am not good at that.

Also, I am sorry if one or both of the questions I am going to ask had to be asked on the chat group.

My first questions is, is there any software that a blind highschooler can use in conjunction with NvDA to do their math work?

My second question is, does anyone have an NVDA sound theme which has android’s talkback sounds and which is also compatible with the “Audio Themes” NVDA add-on?

Best regards.

Francisco.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

cisco

Hello there Quentin and all,

Thank you for the answer about math, the user guide was most enlightening.

However, is writing with Math type supported as well? If so, is it only supported with speech or with speech and braille both?

If it is not supported, can anyone recommend me software that would allow editing and writing of mathematical content, if any exists?

Thank you and best regards.

Francisco.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2021 7:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Two different topics related to NVDA

HI there,

For the first part, see the NVDA user guide section on reading mathematical content: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#ReadingMath

For the sound themes question, I'll leave that for someone else, I haven't looked into it myself.

Quentin.

Hello everyone,

Best regards.

Francisco.

--

Quentin Christensen

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 01:12 PM, cisco wrote:
However, is writing with Math type supported as well?
-
MathType is "the writing side," and MathPlayer is, "the reading side of what's already been written."   Hence "type" and "player" in the names.

It's worth looking at the MathPlayer page, because they're changing exactly how and where they support math content and what's happening is talked about there.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

~ John F. Kennedy

Quentin Christensen

Yes, from memory you need both MathType and MathPlayer to create math.  You can also now use the built in equations in Word.  I'm not sure about Word's equation editor, I must admit I have not tried that.

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 5:13 AM cisco <audiogamer2004@...> wrote:

Hello there Quentin and all,

Thank you for the answer about math, the user guide was most enlightening.

However, is writing with Math type supported as well? If so, is it only supported with speech or with speech and braille both?

If it is not supported, can anyone recommend me software that would allow editing and writing of mathematical content, if any exists?

Thank you and best regards.

Francisco.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Monday, November 22, 2021 7:24 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Two different topics related to NVDA

HI there,

Quentin.

Hello everyone,

Best regards.

Francisco.

--

Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen

woody tseng

You can try the Access8Math addon to write Mathematical content.
Using alt+m, alt+l to insert LaTeX (or keyin LaTeX directly)and using alt+h convert to HTML document included Mathematical content(MathML)
For detailed instructions, welcome to refer to Access8Math github page
https://github.com/tsengwoody/Access8Math

cisco

Hello there,

I’ll try that, thank you so much!

I guess I’ll have to learn a bit of latex if I am to try it, will see what I can do in my spare time.

Best regards.

Francisco.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of woody tseng
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2021 12:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA - Working with Math and Sound Themes

You can try the Access8Math addon to write Mathematical content.

Using alt+m, alt+l to insert LaTeX (or keyin LaTeX directly)and using alt+h convert to HTML document included Mathematical content(MathML)

For detailed instructions, welcome to refer to Access8Math github page