nvdaCertPatch fails to work for me

Dejan Ristic

Hi,

Although I installed, and then uninstalled the nvdaCertPatch add-on, I still faced an error while trying to check for updates.

I'm just submitting this report to let you know that I face this issue, and that you may be able to take some steps during your later works on the next versions to come.

Cheers,

Dejan

Lukasz Golonka

1. Can you open nvaccess.org in Internet Explorer?
2. What error you get in the log after trying to check for updates?

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:24:47 +0200
"Dejan Ristic" <r.dejan83@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Although I installed, and then uninstalled the nvdaCertPatch add-on, I still faced an error while trying to check for updates.

I'm just submitting this report to let you know that I face this issue, and that you may be able to take some steps during your later works on the next versions to come.

Cheers,

Dejan

Regards
Lukasz

Dejan Ristic

Hi,

I can open it in Firefox. As for an error, I get a message saying: error checking for updates.

On 27/10/2021 17:52, Lukasz Golonka via groups.io wrote:
1. Can you open nvaccess.org in Internet Explorer?
2. What error you get in the log after trying to check for updates?

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:24:47 +0200
"Dejan Ristic" <r.dejan83@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

Although I installed, and then uninstalled the nvdaCertPatch add-on, I still faced an error while trying to check for updates.

I'm just submitting this report to let you know that I face this issue, and that you may be able to take some steps during your later works on the next versions to come.

Cheers,

Dejan

What version of Windows are you using?

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] nvdaCertPatch fails to work for me

Hi,

I can open it in Firefox. As for an error, I get a message saying: error
checking for updates.

On 27/10/2021 17:52, Lukasz Golonka via groups.io wrote:
> 1. Can you open nvaccess.org in Internet Explorer?
> 2. What error you get in the log after trying to check for updates?
>

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:24:47 +0200
> "Dejan Ristic" <r.dejan83@...> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> Although I installed, and then uninstalled the nvdaCertPatch add-on, I still faced an error while trying to check for updates.
>>

>> I'm just submitting this report to let you know that I face this issue, and that you may be able to take some steps during your later works on the next versions to come.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dejan

There exists another option:  Update Checking Error for NVDA and Add-On Updater - Root Cause Identified, Workaround Given, Problem solved in 2021.3

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Dejan Ristic

Hi,

Sorry to say, Windows 7.

Cheers,

Dejan

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 11:15 AM

Hi,

I can open it in Firefox. As for an error, I get a message saying: error
checking for updates.

On 27/10/2021 17:52, Lukasz Golonka via groups.io wrote:
> 1. Can you open nvaccess.org in Internet Explorer?
> 2. What error you get in the log after trying to check for updates?
>

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:24:47 +0200
> "Dejan Ristic" <r.dejan83@...> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> Although I installed, and then uninstalled the nvdaCertPatch add-on, I still faced an error while trying to check for updates.
>>

>> I'm just submitting this report to let you know that I face this issue, and that you may be able to take some steps during your later works on the next versions to come.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dejan

Lukasz Golonka

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:15:08 +0200
"Dejan Ristic" <r.dejan83@gmail.com> wrote:

I can open it in Firefox.
I've asked for a test In Internet Explorer specifically.

As for an error, I get a message
saying: error checking for updates.

Again that is not what I asked for. What is the error message you see in
NVDA's log accessible with NVDA+1?

Gene

The problem may be the result of using Windows 7.  The fix may not work in that operating system.  It is essential that when reporting a problem, the version of the operating system and software be stated.

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 11:19 AM

Hi,

Sorry to say, Windows 7.

Cheers,

Dejan

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 11:15 AM

Hi,

I can open it in Firefox. As for an error, I get a message saying: error
checking for updates.

On 27/10/2021 17:52, Lukasz Golonka via groups.io wrote:
> 1. Can you open nvaccess.org in Internet Explorer?
> 2. What error you get in the log after trying to check for updates?
>

> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 12:24:47 +0200
> "Dejan Ristic" mailto:r.dejan83@... wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> Although I installed, and then uninstalled the nvdaCertPatch add-on, I still faced an error while trying to check for updates.
>>

>> I'm just submitting this report to let you know that I face this issue, and that you may be able to take some steps during your later works on the next versions to come.
>>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Dejan

Lukasz Golonka

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 11:24:58 -0500
"Gene" <gsasner@gmail.com> wrote:

The problem may be the result of using Windows 7. The fix may not work in that operating system.
It worked on all of my 3 Win 7 boxes so that cannot be the issue.

Hi Lukasz and others,

It was pointed out on NVDA add-ons list that this issue may affect domain-joined computers managed by IT admins. Specifically, despite request from NVDA (specifically, Python), Windows will not update certificate store. I took a look at a private debug log, and an SSL error is shown that says "certificate has expired" despite running the workarounds suggested here (I had the original poster use the Python Console method to no avail). The poster also informed me privately that this happens with Add-on Updater 21.10 which includes the fix from NVDA 2021.3, so our next bet is waiting until 2021.3 beta 1 is released before trying again (provided that this works).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 12:33 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
It was pointed out on NVDA add-ons list that this issue may affect domain-joined computers managed by IT admins.
-
Centrally administered clusters of machines are, indeed, a universe of their own.  And very often what you, as the user of said machine, have access to do on it is very tightly restricted.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Hi,

Right. Also, a bit on Firefox: the original poster used Firefox because Mozilla has its own root certificate whereas NV Access uses Letsencrypt.

Cheers,

Joseph

Lukasz Golonka

On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 09:33:09 -0700
"Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:

It was pointed out on NVDA add-ons list that this issue may affect domain-joined computers managed by IT admins. Specifically, despite request from NVDA (specifically, Python), Windows will not update certificate store.
Interesting. It would be great to confirm if Internet Explorer can
access NV Access's server or not. If it can then perhaps we should
change the way in which updates are downloaded to use Win32 APi rather
than Python's urlllib.

--
Regards
Lukasz

Hi,

Or, for that matter, if folks can also access NV Access website via Chrome and/or Edge on a domain-joined Windows 7/8.1/10/11 system (mostly on Windows 7).

Cheers,

Joseph

Dejan Ristic

Hi Lukasz,

I've tried opening www.nvaccess.org in Internet explorer, but to no avail. It says: This page can't be displayed. As for taking a look at the log, I have not done it, but due to the fact that I've just read Joseph's message directed to you and to all of us, I think that his explanation of the situation is much better than mine.

Cheers,

Dejan

On 27/10/2021 18:22, Lukasz Golonka via groups.io wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:15:08 +0200
"Dejan Ristic" <r.dejan83@gmail.com> wrote:

I can open it in Firefox.
I've asked for a test In Internet Explorer specifically.

As for an error, I get a message
saying: error checking for updates.

Again that is not what I asked for. What is the error message you see in
NVDA's log accessible with NVDA+1?

.

Dave Grossoehme

Has this person read that Internet Explorer no longer exist? Micro Soft shut Explorer down completely the beginning of October.  Micro Soft has been warning not to use Explorer for sometime.

Dave

On 10/27/2021 10:10 AM, Dejan Ristic wrote:
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

I didn’t know internet explorer was completely gone. I thought it was supposed to be completely gone in June of next year.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Has this person read that Internet Explorer no longer exist? Micro Soft

shut Explorer down completely the beginning of October.  Micro Soft has

been warning not to use Explorer for sometime.

Dave

On 10/27/2021 10:10 AM, Dejan Ristic wrote:

> Hi Lukasz,

> I've tried opening www.nvaccess.org in Internet explorer, but to no

> avail. It says: This page can't be displayed. As for taking a look at

> the log, I have not done it, but due to the fact that I've just read

> Joseph's message directed to you and to all of us, I think that his

> explanation of the situation is much better than mine.

> Cheers,

> Dejan

> On 27/10/2021 18:22, Lukasz Golonka via groups.io wrote:

>> On Wed, 27 Oct 2021 18:15:08 +0200

>> "Dejan Ristic" <r.dejan83@...> wrote:

>>> I can open it in Firefox.

>> I've asked for a test In Internet Explorer specifically.

>>> As for an error, I get a message

>> saying: error checking for updates.

>> Again that is not what I asked for. What is the error message you see in

>> NVDA's log accessible with NVDA+1?

>> .

Gene

That’s correct.  See this Microsoft page:

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 5:03 PM