Topics

Object Location Tones 20.09, penultimate add-on release #addonrelease

Hi all,

Object Location Tones 20.09 will show up in about an hour or so from now. This version includes code edits based on Flake8 lint tool recommendations.

IMPORTANT: Object Location Tones add-on will be discontinued by end of 2020. As much as I wish to develop this add-on further, the time for this add-on’s usefulness has passed, and I would like to lighten my NVDA work in preparation for next stage in life. As the add-on is released under GNU General Public License, anyone is welcome to study, modify, and share their edits. The repo can be found at:

https://github.com/josephsl/objlocationtones

The last version of this add-on from me is planned for early next year (likely in January 2021).

Cheers,

Joseph

Jesse Farquharson

I don't understand. What makes you say it's not useful anymore?

Hi,

There are replacements such as Audio Themes. Also, the NVDA pull request associated with it (for NVDA issue 2559), while useful, wasn’t really ready. Besides, it has become clear to me that in order to prepare for the next stage in my life (graduate school), I need to let go of NVDA, and letting go of add-ons that are effectively end of life is just one stage of this process (I thought about this decision for a long time). I know that we have people who can take good care of this add-on in the future.

Cheers,

Joseph