Oddity With NVDA And Thunderbird with Inbox status Line

Even curiouser, when I'm having NVDA read my immediately prior message, in the web interface, it is saying "teeny tiny down arrow" for that character.

But when I continue on to the one previous to that, when it hits it it announces, "fill down pointing small triangle."

This is really, really weird.  Really weird!

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian and Group,

Well I was not able to find the single character anywhere by myself. Brian somehow found it somewhere.  In his last message, I copied it and used the speech dictionary to add it and redefine it under the single character setting as unread.  After all this speculation, that seems to have worked.

This issue started with the same Thunderbird that I was using prior to the upgrade to NVDA 2020.4.  So I wouldn't think it was a Thunderbird issue solely.

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Gianluigi Coppelletti <gianluigi@...>

Hi,

the easiest solution to this oddity, that was suggested by our friend DJ Raf in the italian list, is the following:

1 press NVDA+n;

2 choose Preferences, then Punctuation and symbols;

3 press shift+tab to go to the search box and type filled down;

4 press tab, and you should be on the symbol that you are looking for. If you are not on the right position, press up/down arrow to locate it. You can also search for the word filled only, but you'll have to press down arrow about 12 times;

5 press tab twice and select "most" or "all" with up/down arrows. I think that this depends on your current punctuation verbosity. If it is set to "some", the option "most" should be O.K.;

6 press tab to the O.K. button and press enter.

I hope that it'll work for you as it worked for me.

Ciao.

Gigi

Il 21/02/2021 22.51, Ron Canazzi ha scritto:

Hi Group,

I tried following the steps indicated in this thread but it did not work. Actually what it should be saying is the word unread in place of that symbol., When I tried using the ▾  as the pattern and replacing it with the word unread, nothing changed.

On 2/21/2021 4:24 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Even though this topic was launched first, the more recent one asking about this issue has a title that is far more indicative regarding the actual issue:  Oddity With NVDA And Thunderbird with Inbox status Line

Thus, this topic, +Strange thing in Nvda, shall be merged into the more descriptive one as soon as I finish posting this message.  If others wish to discuss workarounds further, please post to the "Oddity" topic.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

--

On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 05:11 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
So I wouldn't think it was a Thunderbird issue solely.
-
For the record, nor do I at this point.  The inconsistent behavior with what NVDA is announcing when Thunderbird is not even involved is enough for me to say that this is most likely to be an NVDA problem.

I hope that some of our regulars who are intimately tied to NVAccess have been reading this topic (and I'll have to rattle cages, too).  This is a case where I could no sooner come up with a coherent, short, problem description and set of replication steps than fly to the moon under the power of my arms.  There's a consistent issue, but an inconsistent output from NVDA, which makes it particularly odd.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Andre Fisher

Hi.

This is not a Thunderbird issue. In NVDA 2020.4, the CLDR emoji annotation was updated to version 38, which may have resulted in this symbol being recognised and spoken as an emoji, whereas it was probably ignored before. As discussed, the best fix is to just increase the symbol level of the emoji above what you have it set to (for example, to Most if you have it set on the default which is Some).

matthew dyer <ilovecountrymusic483@...>

Matthew

Hi JAWS 2021 does this also.  I am guessing this is a thunderbird problem, but not sure.

On 2/21/2021 1:55 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

This issue began with the latest version of NVDA version 2020.4. When I voe to the Tree View of folders using the F6 key and arrow up and down I hear something like 'inbox fill down pointing small tirangle' followed by the number of unread messages in the folder. This is with sub foldrs located under the inbox and with the tree branch closed with the left arrow.

Does anyone else experience anything like this? This occurs with all installed synthesizers and voices and with variation of punctuation with all, some, most and characters. It stops only when I turn punctuation to none.