Topics

OE Classic 3.1 gets more accessibility fixes.

The below is from their accessibility email list. No, I have no clue how to join it. I was added. For those who hate Thunderbird, this may be a good alternative but understand that the free version does not support IMAP or profiles yet.

Before I paste the email, here's the website. Check it out. Send them bugs and questions.

In the latest release of OE Classic 3.1, released today (10th February 2020), we've added the support for standard Message dialogs which are now fully screen-reader accessible. The dialogs use standard buttons and standard way of displaying messages which is easily readable to any screen-reader. The dialog we're describing are the ones such as "are you sure" type of dialogs. For example, when you right click the empty deleted items folder option one such dialog will show up.

To have this support there are some requirements though:

  • you must run at least Windows Vista or newer (Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 work well, and Windows 10 works best regarding this)

  • Theme support must be enabled on Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. (so in other words, Windows must be using at least Windows Basic or Windows Aero theme). On Windows 10 this is not a problem, because the themes from Windows 8 and earlier are removed - Windows 10 has always theme support enabled so message dialogs in OE Classic will be always the standard Windows ones which are accessible. The requirement to have theme support enabled on Windows Vista / 7 / 8 will be removed in one of the updates when we switch to newer compiler than the one we currently use. But this is not much of a problem. Windows 7 usually is already set to one of the above mentioned themes by default, and for Windows 10 this is not a problem at all, since it has this always enabled.

  • Windows XP cannot be supported unfortunately. It doesn't support the required programming interface needed to add this. If you use that version, OE Classic will revert to the older dialogs which are not accessible. We have some ideas how to support even this, but it will require some compromises which we are only ready to take when the popularity of Windows XP is below 1% (currently about 2%).

In addition to all the above, we're also working on adding accessibility support for the list views (message list, contact list, folder list) which is currently the biggest known thing to be missing. We have made some progress regarding that in discovering why it doesn't work but there is still work to be done. We will notify you about this separately. There are also a few other windows which haven't been localized and as such adjusted for accessibility, and that will be done in time too, but these windows are rare in the current version (it is the updates window and send/receive window for example). With all of that we're approaching the goal of reaching 100% accessibility.

If you have suggestions, other than the ones which are already listed, we're always looking forward to those. If you have already made a suggestion, rest assured it is already in our queue to be implemented so there is no need to suggest it again.

Kerryn Gunness

is this the original o e?
which is not associated to m s?

[...]

OE Classic is a third party program made to mimic OutLook express. Microsoft should have just open sourced outlook express like they did with Windows Live Writer, but, apart from a hacked version, which I won't send you, this is a close as you will get while still having a modern email client.

Kerryn Gunness

robert

send the direct link to download the program

[...]

Darn! Looks like 3.1 has been released to paying pro customers only. Wish the initial email was clearer on that, my bad for not checking, but the below link will download the latest version, which is 3.0 on the website. Below that, is the pro link where you can see how much it will cost and otherwise. Eventually, the free version will become 3.1 but not today.

  1. Direct download link. Free version. 3.0
  2. Pro version page. 3.1](http://www.oeclassic.com/order)

Tyler Spivey

Please explain why anyone would want to use this if the list views are not accessible. That's a pretty important part of an email program.

On 2/10/2020 11:31 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

Darn! Looks like 3.1 has been released to paying pro customers only. Wish the initial email was clearer on that, my bad for not checking, but the below link will download the latest version, which is 3.0 on the website. Below that, is the pro link where you can see how much it will cost and otherwise. Eventually, the free version will become 3.1 but not today.

  1. Direct download link. Free version. 3.0
  2. Pro version page. 3.1](http://www.oeclassic.com/order)

Troy Burnham

Does OE classic allow for more than 1 e-mail account at a time? I tried it a while back but I have 2 e-mail accounts and I could only use one at a time so I gave up on it.

Troy

On 2/10/2020 9:40 AM, Robert Kingett wrote:

[...]

It would appear so, as of version 3.0, but for the best email experience when dealing with multiple emails, use Thunderbird. I'd look in their news section to see if that is supported anywhere. I didn't pay for the pro version.

As to tylors question, that's a good question. Let me know what the developer says when you ask them that question.

Marten Post Uiterweer

Hi Robert,

Are you using OE classic yourself and if yes, with what screenreader?
I have installed the OE calssic 3.0 version and have set up an account.
With jaws I can mark a highlight color and then you can navigate through
the list, but not really great and hotkeys of OE are also not working.

Are you using it and with what screenreader?

Regards, marten

Before I paste the email, [here's the website.](http://www.oeclassic.com/) Check it out. Send them bugs and questions.