[Solved] office 2019 and outlook

Timothy VD Berg

Hi

Using the latest nvda and windows 10 pro

Lately if I create a new email.

I type in the email address.  Nvda tells me use your up and down keys to get  contact sugestions, but it gives me no emails addresses.

GBut it is there.  Any help will be greatful.

Thanks

Timothy

Gene

I’m not sure what may be causing the problem.  Someone else may have suggestions.  I may be wrong, but I vaguely seem to remember this being asked about on a list I follow.  If you can’t resolve the problem, there may be a work around that works as well or almost as well.

Windows Live Mail has a search contacts function.  While it may not be the case, if Windows Live Mail has it, Outlook likely does.  this might solve your problem.
I generally type the first name of the contact I’m looking for and I usually find it efficiently that way.

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 6:34 AM
Subject: [nvda] office 2019 and outlook

Hi

Using the latest nvda and windows 10 pro

Lately if I create a new email.

I type in the email address.  Nvda tells me use your up and down keys to get  contact sugestions, but it gives me no emails addresses.

GBut it is there.  Any help will be greatful.

Thanks

Timothy

Gene,

           This has been coming up again and again on several groups as people are getting new machines or setting up completely fresh copies of Office.

            Outlook does not use your Contacts for autocomplete, but a list it compiles as you send e-mail messages out.  Autocomplete often contains addresses not in your Contacts.  I talked about this briefly (as do the articles referenced) on the JAWS Group here: https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/88876

             When you have a brand-spankin' new installation of Outlook there is no existing autocomplete list unless you've taken the time to have exported it prior to the new install, and going through the steps to import that data into the new install.  This is also talked about in the articles I reference in the message above.

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Jackie

& if I'm not mistaken (& I could well be, it happens w/some degree of
regularity), some of the privacy settings can also affect whether
addresses are auto-completed.

Gene,

This has been coming up again and again on several groups as people are
getting new machines or setting up completely fresh copies of Office.

Outlook does not use your Contacts for autocomplete, but a list it compiles
as you send e-mail messages out.  Autocomplete often contains addresses not
in your Contacts.  I talked about this briefly (as do the articles
referenced) on the JAWS Group here:
https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/message/88876

When you have a brand-spankin' new installation of Outlook there is no
existing autocomplete list unless you've taken the time to have exported it
prior to the new install, and going through the steps to import that data
into the new install.  This is also talked about in the articles I reference
in the message above.

Always remember others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless
you hate them.  And then you destroy yourself.

~ Richard M. Nixon

I seem to recall reading something about that some time ago.  But in this case, it sounds as though an Office Update is causing the problem since the person has been using autocomplete until recently.  From the way the question is written, the same program is evidently being used.

Sent: Sunday, May 16, 2021 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] office 2019 and outlook

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

       ~ Richard M. Nixon

Milton Charlton

Desktop Outlook 2019 New Email: NVDA does not announce selections in autofill window. Strange mouse behaviour in autofill window.

I posted the same problem on  May 13  #83951

With NVDA Off: After typing part of the name of the addressee, I can pick an email address from the autofill suggestions list by using up/down arrow keys or mouse cursor.  Click with mouse on the selection or hit Enter to enter the selection to the TO: space.

With NVDA on: NVDA announces “Form Regions” when mouse cursor is placed in the TO: space. After typing part of the name of the addressee one can pick an email address from the autofill suggestion list by using the Up/Down arrow keys and can hit Enter to enter the selection into the TO: space.

              PROBLEM #1: NVDA does not speak out the email addresses in the autofill list when they are selected by the Up/Down arrow keys.

              PROBLEM #2: If the mouse cursor is moved to the autofill list, one of the email addresses gets entered in the TO: space without clicking on it or hitting Enter.  If the list was long and contained addresses from several people, email could be sent to the wrong person.  This does not happen with NVDA off.  The same thing happens in Narrator.

Please note that this is not a problem getting autofill suggestions; that is working well.  Nor is it a problem with differences between autofill and contacts.

Can anyone suggest a fix or workaround?
I am trying to develop an audio only computer.

Thanks.

Outlook 2019 desktop Version 2104 build 13929.20372   MSO 16.0.13929.20206

Windows 10 Pro Version10.0.19042 Build 19042

NVDA 2020-4   Add On: Outlook Extended 1.6

Milton Charlton

I just got an Office update that fixed the problem of Narrator or NVDA not announcing the autocomplete or autofill choices.  It works well now.  Up down arrow keys move between choices.  Hit return to select the one you want and enter it in the TO: space.

This version is 2104 build 13929.20386 .
To find version :
FILE > Office Account then see version at About Outlook in lower right.

 While at Office Account click on Office Update > Update Options menu > click top item which is Update Now.  That is what I did just now.

Monte Single

Hi Milton and List,

I am using win10 20h2 and office 2016 with nvda.

A week ago my autocomplete in outlook stopped working.

I called the m s disability help and  got it fixed.

The next day,  the same help desk person called back and unfixed it and spent a lot of time trying to creat a new outlook account.

No success, no joy.

I just read Milton’s post, was able to run the office update and my autocomplete is now working.

It is great to have this list.

Cheers,

Monte