Topics

office 2019 word and nvda

Hi.

I have not got a log for this but it happens every time I open office 2019 and then after closing it.

Nvda will stop responding for 10 seconds like look as if it just died but will eventually come back.

After that, nvda will not read the search box in windows properly in the start menu till I restart nvda.

I am not an office user though just an admin for a few systems with it.

Its happened on a couple systems and now another user on another list I am on reports this.

So I think it can be reproduced.

I have yet to look for a log, but since its happened on 3 other occasions I thought I'd ask here and see if someone else can confirm it for me and either get me to report it or set the ticket.

Laughing Thunder

Yep! It’s definitely an issue. I’ve had it happen several times already, and I have someone at work who uses Jaws and reports the same issue as well.

On Jul 15, 2020, at 10:14 PM, Shaun Everiss <@smeveriss> wrote:

Hi.

I have not got a log for this but it happens every time I open office 2019 and then after closing it.

Nvda will stop responding for 10 seconds like look as if it just died but will eventually come back.

After that, nvda will not read the search box in windows properly in the start menu till I restart nvda.

I am not an office user though just an admin for a few systems with it.

Its happened on a couple systems and now another user on another list I am on reports this.

So I think it can be reproduced.

I have yet to look for a log, but since its happened on 3 other occasions I thought I'd ask here and see if someone else can confirm it for me and either get me to report it or set the ticket.

--
Laughingthunder

CARLOS-ESTEBAN

Hello.
I use Office 2019 and I no have this problem.
Well, if the problem is also with others screen readers, somme update of Office 2019 have a bug.
A possible solution is open a program of Office (Word, Excel for example), go to the tab account and install updates.
But is possible that the cause is other.
Regards.

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.
Músico (pianista) y también ayuda a usuarios con discapacidad visual en el
uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología.
Experto certificado en el lector de pantalla NVDA.

Musicien (pianist) and also help to users with a visual disability in the use of screen readers and technology.
Certified expert in screen reader NVDA.

El jue., 16 de jul. de 2020 a la(s) 10:50, Laughing Thunder (laughingthunder26@...) escribió:
Yep! It’s definitely an issue. I’ve had it happen several times already, and I have someone at work who uses Jaws  and reports the same issue as well.
> On Jul 15, 2020, at 10:14 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> I have not got a log for this but it happens every time I open office 2019 and then after closing it.
>
> Nvda will stop responding for 10 seconds like look as if it just died but will eventually come back.
>
> After that, nvda will not read the search box in windows properly in the start menu till I restart nvda.
>
> I am not an office user though just an admin for a few systems with it.
>
> Its happened on a couple systems and now another user on another list I am on reports this.
>
> So I think it can be reproduced.
>
>
> I have yet to look for a log, but since its happened on 3 other occasions I thought I'd ask here and see if someone else can confirm it for me and either get me to report it or set the ticket.
>
>
>
>
>

--
Laughingthunder

Luke Davis

Can you test whether this only happens if you use the keyboard shortcut letter, or also if you use the button directly?

For example:

Start Word.
Press enter to open a new document.
Enter some text.
Press alt+F4 to exit.

If you press "n" at this point, I assume you get the freeze. I know I do.

However if you do all of that again, but instead of pressing "n" you tab to "Don't save" and press enter, do you get the same freeze? I don't.

I can not replicate the part about NVDA not reading the search box properly. Try a Com Registration Fix for that, and also possibly try running with add-ons disabled.

Thanks

Luke

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, Shaun Everiss wrote:

Luke Davis

I have created an issue for this. If it is happening to you and you want it fixed, please post a comment and possibly more information on this issue:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/11391

Luke

Luke Davis

Especially make sure you list your NVDA version, Office version, and Windows version.

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, Luke Davis wrote:

I have created an issue for this. If it is happening to you and you want it fixed, please post a comment and possibly more information on this issue:

Hi all,
Based on the log posted by Luke, it appears NVDA is trying to obtain
information from a control that no longer exists (according to accessibility
API's) or something is grabbing NVDA's attention too long.
Technical: I think there is a thread deadlock somewhere. The log fragment in
question (see the GitHub issue Luke created) mostly points to threads trying
to wait for something from its processing queue. This is evidenced by the
fact that multiple threads are waiting for a response from a "dead" UIA
element in regards to supported properties.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 1:43 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] office 2019 word and nvda

I have created an issue for this. If it is happening to you and you want it
fixed, please post a comment and possibly more information on this issue:

Luke

Well this issue happens on an exit command from word 2019.

It doesn't happen on 2016.

Word exits, it maybe taking time to do so though powering narator at the point word exits shows it has in deed exited to desktop.

In 10 seconds or so word will complete exiting to desktop as far as nvda gives a damn.

However at that point nvda will not read anything right like search boxes till I restart it.

Luckily running nvda again will restart it.

I have yet to try it on the rc but assuming it is going on the rc its almost like nvda is waiting for catch up.

On 17/07/2020 8:56 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi all,
Based on the log posted by Luke, it appears NVDA is trying to obtain
information from a control that no longer exists (according to accessibility
API's) or something is grabbing NVDA's attention too long.
Technical: I think there is a thread deadlock somewhere. The log fragment in
question (see the GitHub issue Luke created) mostly points to threads trying
to wait for something from its processing queue. This is evidenced by the
fact that multiple threads are waiting for a response from a "dead" UIA
element in regards to supported properties.
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 1:43 PM

I have created an issue for this. If it is happening to you and you want it
fixed, please post a comment and possibly more information on this issue:

Luke

rowen brian

I am using office365, Confirm that this problem exists. The content of the start menu will not be read after closing Word. It also won't read the contents of Explorer. Reopening Word will not read. The version I tested is NVDA2020.2RC1, Office365 Version 2006 (Build 13001.20266).

Luke Davis

Rowen and all

If you want to contribute to this problem getting solved, please post your experiences on the issue created for it. The devs do not monitor this list.
There is one senior user reporting on the issue that Office 365 does not have this problem.
If your experience is otherwise (this goes for everyone), please take the time to mention it on the official bug tracker, and follow any trouble shooting steps that are recommended there.

The link again is: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/11391

It's not hard to do, and it's very accessible.

Luke

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020, rowen brian wrote:

I am using office365, Confirm that this problem exists. The content of the start menu will not be read after closing Word. It also won't read the contents
of Explorer. Reopening Word will not read. The version I tested is NVDA2020.2RC1, Office365 Version 2006 (Build 13001.20266).

Hi,
Actually, devs do monitor this list (I do, and so does Quentin).
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 3:22 PM

Rowen and all

If you want to contribute to this problem getting solved, please post your experiences on the issue created for it. The devs do not monitor this list.
There is one senior user reporting on the issue that Office 365 does not have this problem.
If your experience is otherwise (this goes for everyone), please take the time to mention it on the official bug tracker, and follow any trouble shooting steps that are recommended there.

Luke

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020, rowen brian wrote:

I am using office365, Confirm that this problem exists. The content of
the start menu will not be read after closing Word. It also won't read the contents of Explorer. Reopening Word will not read. The version I tested is NVDA2020.2RC1, Office365 Version 2006 (Build 13001.20266).

Luke Davis

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I was referring to the core devs (Reef, Mic).

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,
Actually, devs do monitor this list (I do, and so does Quentin).
Cheers,
Joseph

Sent: Friday, July 17, 2020 3:22 PM

Rowen and all

Daniel Damacena

It happens to me sometimes, but not exactly when I close Office 19.
I can solve this openning the task manager with control + shift + esc and restarting windows explorer process.

Em sex., 17 de jul. de 2020 às 11:52, rowen brian <manchen0528@...> escreveu:

I am using office365, Confirm that this problem exists. The content of the start menu will not be read after closing Word. It also won't read the contents of Explorer. Reopening Word will not read. The version I tested is NVDA2020.2RC1, Office365 Version 2006 (Build 13001.20266).

--
Daniel Damacena

Also for those having issues on the other list, with office, its a known bug, try running any office program, ie word and updating again.

There aparently is a way to get round that.

The user with the screwed up install probably has to reinstall his computer completely though.

There are 2 bugs according to winaero, and I forget their status.

On 18/07/2020 12:00 am, rowen brian wrote:

Luke Davis

It could be nice to have a debug level log of one of these cases where closing Word in this way results in other Windows elements, including Word, not working.

I was not able to replicate that portion of the scenario.

Please consider either posting one on the github issue, or sending one privately.

Luke

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020, Daniel Damacena wrote:

It happens to me sometimes, but not exactly when I close Office 19.I can solve this openning the task manager with control + shift + esc and restarting
windows explorer process.

Well if you guys can leave this issue open till tuesday I may have access to a laptop with the formentioned issue on.

I may get access earlier but for now thats the best I can do.

I technically had access to something yesterday but I was so screwed up with a cold I didn't have the energy to get out of bed.

On 18/07/2020 11:50 am, Luke Davis wrote:
It could be nice to have a debug level log of one of these cases where closing Word in this way results in other Windows elements, including Word, not working.

Please consider either posting one on the github issue, or sending one privately.

Luke

It happens to me sometimes, but not exactly when I close Office 19.I can solve this openning the task manager with control + shift + esc and restarting

Rui Fontes

See if that is enough:

IO - external:globalPlugins.NVDAExtensionGlobalPlugin.commandKeysSelectiveAnnouncementAndRemanence.MyInputManager.executeKeyboardGesture (21:19:59.334) - winInputHook (9456):
Input: kb(desktop):alt+f4
DEBUGWARNING - watchdog._watcher (21:19:59.899) - watchdog (14408):
Trying to recover from freeze, core stack:
  File "nvda.pyw", line 215, in <module>
  File "core.pyc", line 545, in main
  File "wx\core.pyc", line 2134, in MainLoop
  File "gui\__init__.pyc", line 1052, in Notify
  File "core.pyc", line 514, in run
  File "IAccessibleHandler\__init__.pyc", line 903, in pumpAll
  File "IAccessibleHandler\__init__.pyc", line 578, in processGenericWinEvent
  File "IAccessibleHandler\__init__.pyc", line 531, in winEventToNVDAEvent
  File "_UIAHandler.pyc", line 582, in isUIAWindow
  File "_UIAHandler.pyc", line 560, in _isUIAWindowHelper

IO - inputCore.logTimeSinceInput (21:20:20.583) - MainThread (8240):
21.249 sec since input
IO - speech.speak (21:20:20.583) - MainThread (8240):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('pt_PT'), 'C:\\Livros', 'janela']

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

Às 00:50 de 18/07/2020, Luke Davis escreveu:

Luke

rowen brian

Hello!
I have also submitted a reply on the Issues page and updated my office365 to the latest version.