Topics

office 2019 word and nvda

Hi.

I have not got a log for this but it happens every time I open office 2019 and then after closing it.

Nvda will stop responding for 10 seconds like look as if it just died but will eventually come back.

After that, nvda will not read the search box in windows properly in the start menu till I restart nvda.

I am not an office user though just an admin for a few systems with it.

Its happened on a couple systems and now another user on another list I am on reports this.

So I think it can be reproduced.

I have yet to look for a log, but since its happened on 3 other occasions I thought I'd ask here and see if someone else can confirm it for me and either get me to report it or set the ticket.

Laughing Thunder

Yep! It’s definitely an issue. I’ve had it happen several times already, and I have someone at work who uses Jaws and reports the same issue as well.

--
Laughingthunder

CARLOS-ESTEBAN

Hello.
I use Office 2019 and I no have this problem.
Well, if the problem is also with others screen readers, somme update of Office 2019 have a bug.
A possible solution is open a program of Office (Word, Excel for example), go to the tab account and install updates.
But is possible that the cause is other.
Regards.

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.
Músico (pianista) y también ayuda a usuarios con discapacidad visual en el
uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología.

Musicien (pianist) and also help to users with a visual disability in the use of screen readers and technology.
Certified expert in screen reader NVDA.

El jue., 16 de jul. de 2020 a la(s) 10:50, Laughing Thunder (laughingthunder26@...) escribió:
Yep! It’s definitely an issue. I’ve had it happen several times already, and I have someone at work who uses Jaws  and reports the same issue as well.
> On Jul 15, 2020, at 10:14 PM, Shaun Everiss <sm.everiss@...> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> I have not got a log for this but it happens every time I open office 2019 and then after closing it.
>
> Nvda will stop responding for 10 seconds like look as if it just died but will eventually come back.
>
> After that, nvda will not read the search box in windows properly in the start menu till I restart nvda.
>
> I am not an office user though just an admin for a few systems with it.
>
> Its happened on a couple systems and now another user on another list I am on reports this.
>
> So I think it can be reproduced.
>

> I have yet to look for a log, but since its happened on 3 other occasions I thought I'd ask here and see if someone else can confirm it for me and either get me to report it or set the ticket.

--
Laughingthunder

Luke Davis

Can you test whether this only happens if you use the keyboard shortcut letter, or also if you use the button directly?

For example:

Start Word.
Press enter to open a new document.
Enter some text.
Press alt+F4 to exit.

If you press "n" at this point, I assume you get the freeze. I know I do.

However if you do all of that again, but instead of pressing "n" you tab to "Don't save" and press enter, do you get the same freeze? I don't.

I can not replicate the part about NVDA not reading the search box properly. Try a Com Registration Fix for that, and also possibly try running with add-ons disabled.

Thanks

Luke

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, Shaun Everiss wrote:

I have not got a log for this but it happens every time I open office 2019 and then after closing it.

Nvda will stop responding for 10 seconds like look as if it just died but will eventually come back.

Luke Davis

I have created an issue for this. If it is happening to you and you want it fixed, please post a comment and possibly more information on this issue:

Luke

Luke Davis

Especially make sure you list your NVDA version, Office version, and Windows version.

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020, Luke Davis wrote:

I have created an issue for this. If it is happening to you and you want it fixed, please post a comment and possibly more information on this issue:

Hi all,
Based on the log posted by Luke, it appears NVDA is trying to obtain
information from a control that no longer exists (according to accessibility
API's) or something is grabbing NVDA's attention too long.
Technical: I think there is a thread deadlock somewhere. The log fragment in
question (see the GitHub issue Luke created) mostly points to threads trying
to wait for something from its processing queue. This is evidenced by the
fact that multiple threads are waiting for a response from a "dead" UIA
element in regards to supported properties.
Cheers,
Joseph