Topics

One Core Synth

Chris Mullins

Hi

Is there any way to stop the One Core synthesizer from pre-empting some words.  Below is a list of 6 words:

unchartered

unchecking

unchecky

unchecked

uncharacteristic

unchanging

On my system, the first 3 words speak the word unchanged followed by the remainder of the actual word, even though 2 of the words do not have a as the 5th letter.  The second 3 are spoken correctly.

I’ve checked my NVDA related punctuation dictionaries and it doesn’t appear to b coming from there, so are there any OneCore specific dictionary files which can be adjusted to stop this behaviour?

Cheers

Chris

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:59 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

unchartered

unchecking

unchecky

This is a fascinating quirk, and I'm getting it too with the Microsoft David voice.  The fix is simple, though, and that's adding an entry for each in the default dictionary, where the pattern is the whole word from the list above, the replacement is the same word but with a hyphen between the "un" and the remainder of it, and the type of match is limited to whole word.  They're all pronounced correctly then.

Heaven only knows why the synth is acting this strangely for those couple of "un" words.

       ~ Madonna

David Csercsics

One core has other weird quirks. If you read something in 24-hour time notaion, that is after midnigt, it will read is 24:something instead of 0. So that 00:23 will speak 24:23.

Hi,
The short-term solution is adding these weird entries to voice-specific dictionary, not default dictionary (default speech dictionary affects all speech synthesizers). The long-term solution is reminding Microsoft to improve synthesis rules.
Cheers,
Joseph