Topics

One Core Synth

Chris Mullins

Hi

Is there any way to stop the One Core synthesizer from pre-empting some words.  Below is a list of 6 words:

unchartered                      

unchecking

unchecky

unchecked

uncharacteristic

unchanging        

On my system, the first 3 words speak the word unchanged followed by the remainder of the actual word, even though 2 of the words do not have a as the 5th letter.  The second 3 are spoken correctly.   

I’ve checked my NVDA related punctuation dictionaries and it doesn’t appear to b coming from there, so are there any OneCore specific dictionary files which can be adjusted to stop this behaviour?

Cheers

Chris

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:59 AM, Chris Mullins wrote:

unchartered                      

unchecking

unchecky

This is a fascinating quirk, and I'm getting it too with the Microsoft David voice.  The fix is simple, though, and that's adding an entry for each in the default dictionary, where the pattern is the whole word from the list above, the replacement is the same word but with a hyphen between the "un" and the remainder of it, and the type of match is limited to whole word.  They're all pronounced correctly then.

Heaven only knows why the synth is acting this strangely for those couple of "un" words.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Power is being told you're not loved and not being destroyed by it.

~ Madonna

David Csercsics

One core has other weird quirks. If you read something in 24-hour time notaion, that is after midnigt, it will read is 24:something instead of 0. So that 00:23 will speak 24:23.

Hi,
The short-term solution is adding these weird entries to voice-specific dictionary, not default dictionary (default speech dictionary affects all speech synthesizers). The long-term solution is reminding Microsoft to improve synthesis rules.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Csercsics
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 9:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] One Core Synth

One core has other weird quirks. If you read something in 24-hour time notaion, that is after midnigt, it will read is 24:something instead of 0. So that 00:23 will speak 24:23.

Is the Voice Dictionary in actuality the Synth Dictionary?  The only reason I suggested the Default Dictionary is that I wanted to ensure the change would be honored no matter what voice happened to be in use (and because it's unlikely that the hyphenated form will be pronounced any differently than the unhyphenated in the vast majority of cases).

If Voice does equate to Synth then I need to make a mental note of that.
--

~ Madonna

Hi,

Think of it as default dictionary but active only if the chosen voice from the chosen synthesizer is in use. I do talk about that in my own audio tutorial and have illustrated this with some examples in there.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2020 9:56 AM

Is the Voice Dictionary in actuality the Synth Dictionary?  The only reason I suggested the Default Dictionary is that I wanted to ensure the change would be honored no matter what voice happened to be in use (and because it's unlikely that the hyphenated form will be pronounced any differently than the unhyphenated in the vast majority of cases).

If Voice does equate to Synth then I need to make a mental note of that.
--

~ Madonna

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 02:06 PM, Joseph Lee wrote, to describe the Voice Dictionary:
Think of it as default dictionary but active only if the chosen voice from the chosen synthesizer is in use.
Thanks for the clarification.

That's precisely the reason I chose to use the Default Dictionary over the Voice Dictionary, as I suspect that this issue crosses multiple OneCore voices and presume that "un-" and "re-" prefixes on verbs will not be read with the hyphen pronounced when doing read-all for any synth.  I could be utterly wrong, and would love to have confirmation or refutation.

It's often a matter of what synths and voices you're using and whether a change to the Default Dictionary screws something up for one (or more) of the synths/voices you use regularly while fixing something only for one.  Trial and error . . .

--

~ Madonna

Chris Mullins

Hi

I’ve fiddled around with this for a while and the following regular expression seems to work nicely:

Pattern: \bunch

Replacement: unCh

Note the “C” in the replacement is capitalised.

Cheers

Chris

Sent: 21 March 2020 18:17

On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 02:06 PM, Joseph Lee wrote, to describe the Voice Dictionary:

Think of it as default dictionary but active only if the chosen voice from the chosen synthesizer is in use.

Thanks for the clarification.

That's precisely the reason I chose to use the Default Dictionary over the Voice Dictionary, as I suspect that this issue crosses multiple OneCore voices and presume that "un-" and "re-" prefixes on verbs will not be read with the hyphen pronounced when doing read-all for any synth.  I could be utterly wrong, and would love to have confirmation or refutation.

It's often a matter of what synths and voices you're using and whether a change to the Default Dictionary screws something up for one (or more) of the synths/voices you use regularly while fixing something only for one.  Trial and error . . .

--

~ Madonna

Chris,

This is similar to a method I used, and I can't recall whether it was under JAWS or NVDA, when the word cup was being read as Cuban Pesos if the document was a recipe where the format, "X cup," or "Y cups," is commonly used.  Making the replacement string have a capital C eliminated it being spoken as Cuban Pesos.
--

~ Madonna