OT: selecting a new laptop is more difficult than before

Antony Stone

A "thumb drive" is *way* slower than a spinning hard disk.

An SSD is way faster.

Antony.

On Thursday 07 December 2017 at 00:23:30, Don H wrote:

Never understood that you can buy a 128 Gig thumb drive for less than 30
bucks yet a 128 Gig SSD cost several hundred bucks.
--
There's a good theatrical performance about puns on in the West End. It's a
play on words.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Hareth

Don, you talking like like about 8 years ago ssds price wise,
here is one of the best 250G SSD for sale out there for US $89 on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U
I got my 256G ssd 5 years back for US $200, It worth every penny, and
it still working like IVE got it just now.

Kevin Cussick

I use one and have no problems, I can't think of any tips it just works. it is the pro4 I hear there on surface Pro5 now.

On 07/12/2017 01:45, Don H wrote:
Any positive or negative comments concerning NVDA on a Microsoft Surface Pro along with its available keyboard?

Kevin Chao

This thread has been very relevant for me recently, as I was looking for a good business-grade Windows laptop. I tried the LeNovo ThinkPad via Amazon, but sent it back, and picked-up Dell XPS 9360 from Microsoft Store yesterday.

The 2 issues that I experienced are with the Realtek audio and media keys. Fortunately, it was possible to sort the former by turning off the sound effects/enhancements and have latter solved via BIOS set to use standard function keys.

I was unpleasantly surprised that these were issues on a vanilla Windows machine from Microsoft, but glad that it’s possible to set these normally.

This is my second XPS I had, first was in 2009, now again in 2017—very well built, great keyboard, light, fast.

On 07/12/2017 01:45, Don H wrote:
Any positive or negative comments concerning NVDA on a Microsoft Surface Pro along with its available keyboard?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I have to say, I've failed too get one before the festivities, but yes, Dell do build good Laptops. It is a shame they keep on doing daft things on a laptop which at least is not for gaming or just entertainment. I can see that unless I can get the shop to change the bios etc, and test the screenreader the first few weeks is going to be hair pulling time.
I know a friend sat down with an IT man from his local school for two hours, most of that time was taking off crap, putting Microsoft drivers back to default and reconfiguring sensible defaults.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

On 07/12/2017 01:45, Don H wrote:

Any positive or negative comments concerning NVDA on a Microsoft Surface
Pro along with its available keyboard?

Antony Stone

I didn't even realise it was possible to get a computer shop to change the
Bios in a new machine for you.

Are you talking about using Coreboot, or something else?

Antony.

On Monday 18 December 2017 at 11:46:28, Brian's Mail list account via
Groups.Io wrote:

I have to say, I've failed too get one before the festivities, but yes,
Dell do build good Laptops. It is a shame they keep on doing daft things
on a laptop which at least is not for gaming or just entertainment. I can
see that unless I can get the shop to change the bios etc, and test the
screenreader the first few weeks is going to be hair pulling time. I know
a friend sat down with an IT man from his local school for two hours, most
of that time was taking off crap, putting Microsoft drivers back to
default and reconfiguring sensible defaults.
You can tell that the day just isn't going right when you find yourself using
the telephone before the toilet.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I'm talking about small shops where you don't perhaps get the discounts but they can be very helpful if you get a problem.

Groups.Io wrote:

I have to say, I've failed too get one before the festivities, but yes,
Dell do build good Laptops. It is a shame they keep on doing daft things
on a laptop which at least is not for gaming or just entertainment. I can
see that unless I can get the shop to change the bios etc, and test the
screenreader the first few weeks is going to be hair pulling time. I know
a friend sat down with an IT man from his local school for two hours, most
of that time was taking off crap, putting Microsoft drivers back to
default and reconfiguring sensible defaults.
You can tell that the day just isn't going right when you find yourself using
the telephone before the toilet.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Kevin Chao

Microsoft Store has promos  and great service, where they'll go into BIOS and audio settings. They'll ensure it works well with screen reader. I've had this experience a few times in the past with the Microsoft Store in San Francisco and Palo Alto.

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 3:47 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists@...> wrote:
I'm talking about small shops where you don't perhaps get the discounts but they can be very helpful if you get a problem.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Antony Stone" <antony.stone@....it>

Groups.Io wrote:

I have to say, I've failed too get one before the festivities, but yes,
Dell do build good Laptops. It is a shame they keep on doing daft things
on a laptop which at least is not for gaming or just entertainment. I can
see that unless I can get the shop to change the bios etc, and test the
screenreader the first few weeks is going to be hair pulling time. I know
a friend sat down with an IT man from his local school for two hours, most
of that time was taking off crap, putting Microsoft drivers back to
default and reconfiguring sensible defaults.

You can tell that the day just isn't going right when you find yourself using
the telephone before the toilet.

                                                  Please reply to the list;
                                                        please *don't* CC me.

Yeah its the same with other drivers, I always end up removing unneded programs, and updating drivers, sound and display are never the latest mainly the rest I get from their website but my plan is either hp which seem to be fine or gigabyte because of their massive memmory they do use soundblaster effects which I am familiar with.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Chao" <kevinchao89@gmail.com>

On 07/12/2017 01:45, Don H wrote:

Any positive or negative comments concerning NVDA on a Microsoft Surface
Pro along with its available keyboard?

.

Its a pitty that ms store in nz online only sells its products and nothing else.

antony.stone@nvda.open.source.it>