locked OT: Stascom 2019 is available for download

Sarah k Alawami

Yep exactly. I am very careful, yet I've ben infected more than once due to either my stupidity or a mistyped address etc etc etc so yeah I will not click on such links here or anywhere else and such behavior on any of my lists would probably put you o moderated status just to be on the safe side.

On 10 Mar 2019, at 14:18, Travis Siegel wrote:

It has nothing to do with vulnerabilities in browsers, javascript is perfectly capable of downloading malware to your machine without ever alerting you to the fact.  In fact, there have been recent articles, (and mentions on her podcast) from Kim kommando for this very thing, when she was talking about people getting you to click on sites ttrying to convince foks they had won some money, or would win money if they clicked on particular urls, which actually lead to sites that would infect your pc with malware.  It doesn't take much, if it did, then you'd not see so many folks getting infected from pirated video sites, which still hasn't taught my 16-year-old son to stop visiting such sites, even though he's had to reinstall windows twice from scratch as a result of such nonsense.

On 3/10/2019 4:42 PM, Tyler Spivey wrote:

Can you back up the statement that a single click can leave your computer infected with malware? If there's a vulnerability in the major browsers, it should be fixed pretty quickly.

Kwork

Knowingly, not likely. If an email's been hacked, which I've seen before with messages resulting on other lists asking to click on links without description, enough said. I stand by my decision to be overly cautious.

On 3/10/2019 2:00 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
People, how probable is it that someone is going to take the effort to join an e-mailing list, one directly related to accessibility issues, and post a malicious link?

Risk assessment, in order to be accurate, needs to take a lot of factors into account, including the above.  I also know that I know the name Christo de Klerk either from earlier participation on this list or else the Win10 or JAWS group.

While I agree that a description would be nice, just because it might interest those not yet using something, but it is not unreasonable, in any way, to expect that someone click through to check out something.  It's a perfectly reasonable expectation.  Developing safe browsing and downloading habits for interacting with cyberspace does not extend to never clicking on any link where you don't know where it goes or you'd never go virtually anywhere.

When a site offers extensive documentation of what's there (and Nir Sofer's nirsoft.net is an excellent example) I certainly am not inclined to do anything other than offer a pointer and those who are interested should go there themselves.  In this specific case it's clear that the Mr. de Klerk uses and loves the software in question and seems to believe the reputation of Jacques Stassen may very well precede him.  I didn't know about him or his software, but clicked through to check it out.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Edited

Travis,

           Quietman7, a security expert who is an active contributor on Bleeping Computer, has written extensively on what you (any you) need to do to develop safe interaction habits with cyberspace.  The following four are, in my opinion, must-reads:

·         Users Themselves Are The Most Substantial Weakness In The Security Chain  (just that single message)

·         What you must understand regarding computer security  (also just this single message)

·         Best Practices for Safe Computing

·         Reflections on Antivirus/Antimalware Testing & Comparisons

You as an individual have to develop a personal "sniff test" regarding what is safe to click or download or not.  The kinds of come-ons you mention should immediately raise red flags and you're just asking for problems if you frequent sites that traffic in illegal software, videos, etc.

Eventually, your 16-year-old will learn if he doesn't want to keep having to go through the major gyrations he's imposing upon himself secondary to foolish behavior.  I'd actually expect that a 16-year-old has not yet developed that particular skill set, particularly given the general penchant for risk-taking among young men.

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 05:44 PM, Kwork wrote:
I stand by my decision to be overly cautious.
Which is, as you've said, is your choice.   The fact that I find it far too cautious is irrelevant when it comes to you (any you) making your final decisions.  All I can offer is what my decades of experience have taught me:   Most infections are the direct result of user action, and if you develop safe browsing habits you won't often get them.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Very well said. I wouldn't have said it better.
And with this, I'm done. No answers from me on this thread anymore :)

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy
Follow or add me on Facebook

Em 10/03/2019 17:39, Travis Siegel escreveu:

You know, if you're going to recommend something, you really should explain why you're recommending it.  Telling folks to go look it for themselves is kind of counterproductive.  If you're not willing to let folks know why you're recommending something, then in my opinion, you shouldn't be posting for folks to go try it out.  It's common courtesy to let folks know what something is when you're putting in a plug for others to use it.  I'm a bit irritated with folks telling us to try this, or download that without letting us know what it is that they want us to download or use.  I've been on lists where such messages recommending downloads without explanation as to what is being recommended would result in banning, because nobody has time to go research each and every link somebody posts just for the hell of it.  Also, with just a link there's no way to know if the link is real or some sort of spam link that will fill your pc with viruses.  I find nothing wrong with folks asking what something is before they take the time to click on it, especially these days when a single click can infect your pc with malware or leave your pc in an unbootable state.

On 3/10/2019 11:24 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

And he has kindly put the website's link in his message.  There shouldn't be any excuse as the info  is just a click away.

On 3/10/2019 7:58 PM, ADRIAN POCOCK wrote:

Hi

There is no real description of what this program is for.  So as not to waste peoples time with something they are not interested in.

Regards Adrian.

On 10/03/2019 11:45, Christo de Klerk wrote:

Hello all

Those of you who use and have come to love the free Stascom utilities by Jacques Stassen, take note that Stascom 2019 has just been released. This release has many new exciting features. To those who have not used the program, I recommend that you give it a try. You can download it from:

https://www.stascom.co.za/stascom.html#content

Kind regards

Christo

JM Casey

Damn. I’m sure when Cristobal sent that first message, he had no idea what it would spawn. Sure, he could have included a description; I agree with that, since I’m not one of the people directly addressed in his message. Those were people who already use (and love) this particular piece of software. Maybe that number is small; maybe not; I really have no idea, but his oversight was a small one regardless. I agree with Brian; it’s really not a big deal to click on the link and at least see what it’s all about, if you happen to be interested enough to even bother doing anything other than hitting that delete button in your e-mail client.

And, at this point, this topic really has run its course.

The site https://www.stascom.co.za/ has been checked by me and by all appearances is entirely safe, so is the specific page for his Stascom utility is as well.

Read all about it there if you have any interest.  This topic is now locked.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back