Topics

Outlook 365: Issue with announcement of selected text while composing mail

Luke Robinett

Hi folks,

I created an issue for this several days ago on GitHub but haven’t heard back yet so thought I’d run it by the group in the meantime. When I’m composing a new email in Outlook 365, I get strange behavior when selecting text by word. What I mean is, if I hold down shift and control and then use the left and right cursor keys to select text by words, only every other highlighted word is spoken aloud. For example, if I was selecting the words in the following sentence, from left to right, “I hope everyone is well,” I would hear the following with each press of the right arrow key: I, silence, everyone, silence, well.

NVDA 220.3 on Win10 Home. I hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Luke

Luke Robinett

Hi,
Just giving this a bump because it’s been several days and I still haven’t heard anything from this group nor the GitHub community. Has anybody tried re-creating my issue, and, if so, were you able to? Thanks again.

On Dec 13, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Luke Robinett via groups.io <blindgroupsluke@...> wrote:

Hi folks,

I created an issue for this several days ago on GitHub but haven’t heard back yet so thought I’d run it by the group in the meantime. When I’m composing a new email in Outlook 365, I get strange behavior when selecting text by word. What I mean is, if I hold down shift and control and then use the left and right cursor keys to select text by words, only every other highlighted word is spoken aloud. For example, if I was selecting the words in the following sentence, from left to right, “I hope everyone is well,” I would hear the following with each press of the right arrow key: I, silence, everyone, silence, well.

Thanks,

Luke

Quentin Christensen

Hi Luke,

I just replied to the issue - basically I asked what version of Outlook 365 are you using?  Which synthesizer are you using?  Does it happen when moving by word (without selecting) or (while I think of it) - does it happen if you press the right arrow to move by character?

And finally, could you please get a copy of your NVDA log - I put the instructions in my comment, but you can also email them to me at info@... if you prefer as well.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 6:08 AM Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...> wrote:
Hi,
Just giving this a bump because it’s been several days and I still haven’t heard anything from this group nor the GitHub community. Has anybody tried re-creating my issue, and, if so, were you able to? Thanks again.

On Dec 13, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Luke Robinett via groups.io <blindgroupsluke=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks,

Luke

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Luke Robinett

Thank you very much for the reply. I will get those extra details and add them to the issue comments. Much appreciated.

On Dec 16, 2020, at 2:48 PM, Quentin Christensen <quentin@...> wrote:

Hi Luke,

I just replied to the issue - basically I asked what version of Outlook 365 are you using?  Which synthesizer are you using?  Does it happen when moving by word (without selecting) or (while I think of it) - does it happen if you press the right arrow to move by character?

And finally, could you please get a copy of your NVDA log - I put the instructions in my comment, but you can also email them to me at info@... if you prefer as well.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 6:08 AM Luke Robinett <blindgroupsluke@...> wrote:
Hi,

On Dec 13, 2020, at 2:46 PM, Luke Robinett via groups.io <blindgroupsluke=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi folks,

Thanks,

Luke

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Pranav Lal

Luke,

Does the problem go away if you restart nvda?

I have had this happen to me on my work laptop but it is not reproducable.

Pranav

Luke Robinett

Hi Pranav,

Unfortunately no. This happens on both my work laptop and home desktop and it’s 100% reproducible in my case. I’ve been busy so I haven’t had a chance to fetch those additional details Quinton asked for. Might need to wait until the weekend. Not a showstopping issue by any means but certainly strange and annoying. Thanks for the response :)

On Dec 16, 2020, at 6:06 PM, Pranav Lal <pranav.lal@...> wrote:

Luke,

Does the problem go away if you restart nvda?

I have had this happen to me on my work laptop but it is not reproducable.

Pranav