Topics

Outlook and attachments

Janet Brandly

Hello all,

I’m using the most recent non-beta version of NVDA with Windows 10. Sometimes, when arrowing through the list of messages in my Outlook inbox, NVDA says that an email has an attachment when it actually doesn’t. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can correct it?

Thanks,

Janet

A lot of emails actually have attachments even in thunderbird.

These are usually company logos and the like

They are not anything you need to be concerned about.

Some email programs use winmail.dat and other data files for their incripted messages and message data.

These are usually read by the email program in question and not usually need interacting with the user.

Unless the email program is really old that is.

On 5/05/2020 3:14 pm, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hello all,

I’m using the most recent non-beta version of NVDA with Windows 10. Sometimes, when arrowing through the list of messages in my Outlook inbox, NVDA says that an email has an attachment when it actually doesn’t. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can correct it?

Thanks,

Janet

Monte Single

I am still using outlook 2013 with win 7 for my email.

I’ve been getting the same attachment message for a few years.

On all occasions, it happens with messages  on lists like this that do not allow attachments.

Once in a while I get a message with an attachment, but it is always from someone who is not on an email list.

Maybe it is caused by a signature or such.

No, I do not know what to do about it.

I did as on  one list,  but found no fix.

I live with it as a very minor annoyance.

I’m using the most recent non-beta version of NVDA with Windows 10. Sometimes, when arrowing through the list of messages in my Outlook inbox, NVDA says that an email has an attachment when it actually doesn’t. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can correct it?

Thanks,

Janet

A very great number of messages, as noted by Shaun, have attachments that most of us don't think of as such.  VCF files are used by many as signatures (or part of them) and, when that is the case, they are considered attachments.  As far as I know, there is no way to make any e-mail client I'm aware of consider them "not an attachment."

I suspect it may in a way. If you receive an e-mail that you are reading as plain text, there is an embedded attachment of the message as an HTML document and maybe Outlook is showing these attachments in a way that your screen-reader announces them. I'm not sure if embedded attachments are sent with mail at other times but I doubt you can stop this behavior as it is probabhbly either a fault in Outlook or NVDA, I don't know which.