Outlook and NVDA

Chris Smart

The more I work through the NVDA training for Outlook, the more I think I must have something wrong with my Outlook installation, because so many of the instructions involving the ribbons don’t seem to work as expected.

Here’s an example.

To create a new folder, press control+shift+e. To create a folder using the ribbon, press alt+o then n.”

The initial keystroke, control+shift+e, works just fine. The instruction immediately following doesn’t appear to do anything beyond going to the Home ribbon.

I’m using Outlook version 16.0.14326.20216, the latest NVDA, 2021.2 beta 1, on windows 10.

What might I be doing wrong?

As far as I know, I haven’t altered any of Outlook’s defaults or changed much, beyond adding and using two email accounts through it.

Thanks for any help with the above. I want to sort this out before continuing through the other training modules I’ve purchased.

Chris

Mobeen Iqbal

AHi.

Try the following. Press alt so you're on the ribbon. Press the applications key or shift F10, and make sure collapse the ribbon is not checked. If it is, press enter so it is not checked.

In theory, that should solve your problem and enable ribbon keystrokes to work. It's also important to make sure you're not on the ribbon when you type them. For example in word, you'd do alt F, followed immediately by I, followed by P to protect with a password. You would not tab or shift tab whilst typing the command.

Very best  wishes,

Mo.On 31/08/2021 19:08, Chris Smart wrote:

The more I work through the NVDA training for Outlook, the more I think I must have something wrong with my Outlook installation, because so many of the instructions involving the ribbons don’t seem to work as expected.

Here’s an example.

To create a new folder, press control+shift+e. To create a folder using the ribbon, press alt+o then n.”

The initial keystroke, control+shift+e, works just fine. The instruction immediately following doesn’t appear to do anything beyond going to the Home ribbon.

I’m using Outlook version 16.0.14326.20216, the latest NVDA, 2021.2 beta 1, on windows 10.

As far as I know, I haven’t altered any of Outlook’s defaults or changed much, beyond adding and using two email accounts through it.

Thanks for any help with the above. I want to sort this out before continuing through the other training modules I’ve purchased.

Chris

Chris Smart

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mobeen Iqbal
Sent: August 31, 2021 2:29 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Outlook and NVDA

AHi.

Try the following. Press alt so you're on the ribbon. Press the applications key or shift F10, and make sure collapse the ribbon is not checked. If it is, press enter so it is not checked.

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion. Nothing is currently checked on that menu.

So, that’s not it…

Mobeen Iqbal

Hi.

Is your screen maximised? Alt space and X?

cheers,

Mo.

On 31/08/2021 19:32, Chris Smart wrote:

AHi.

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion. Nothing is currently checked on that menu.

So, that’s not it…

Chris Smart

Yes.

Sent: August 31, 2021 2:36 PM

Hi.

Is your screen maximised? Alt space and X?

cheers,

Mo.

On 31/08/2021 19:32, Chris Smart wrote:

AHi.

So, that’s not it…

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Chris,

I just tried out the two commands here and they work fine.

I tried alt- o followed by n and this failed when I pressed each key separately. Is it possible that you are not holding down the alt key while you press o? When I tried it that way, it failed. So, the alt key must be held while the o is pressed.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e: cearbhall.omeadhra@...

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Smart
Sent: Tuesday, August 31, 2021 7:08 PM
Subject: [nvda] Outlook and NVDA

Here’s an example.

Chris

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Chris Smart

Hi.

Yes, I am not new to computers and do know that one must press modifier keys in conjunction with the key which they modify.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: August 31, 2021 2:37 PM

Chris,

I tried alt- o followed by n and this failed when I pressed each key separately. Is it possible that you are not holding down the alt key while you press o? When I tried it that way, it failed. So, the alt key must be held while the o is pressed.

All the best,

Cearbhall

Here’s an example.

Chris

Avast logo

www.avast.com

Quentin Christensen

Ok, the create new folder ribbon option was another casualty of what Microsoft have called the "Simplified ribbon".  I'm still going to have to find how to create a folder from the simplified ribbon.

The other thing I did work out was that you can go back to the "Classic Ribbon" if you prefer - press alt to move the focus to the ribbon, then press the applications key, as Mobeen suggested - but then select "Use classic ribbon".

Meanwhile I'll see if I can find this other option....

Quentin.

On Wed, Sep 1, 2021 at 4:43 AM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

Hi.

Yes, I am not new to computers and do know that one must press modifier keys in conjunction with the key which they modify.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cearbhall O'Meadhra
Sent: August 31, 2021 2:37 PM

Chris,

All the best,

Cearbhall

Here’s an example.

Chris

Avast logo

www.avast.com

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager