Outlook Training Error

Chris Smart

Generally, where should I send possible mistakes in the NVDA Basic Training modules?

I’m pretty sure I found one in the Outlook training. The sentence in question says:

Press alt+p to open the Options ribbon, then b to activate the BCC option.”

While editing a message such as this one, ALT+P does indeed open the Options ribbon, but B doesn’t seem to do anything.

Chris

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 03:50 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
While editing a message such as this one, ALT+P does indeed open the Options ribbon, but B doesn’t seem to do anything.
-
Not having the entire context, I cannot absolutely say whether or not there is an error, but I doubt it.  When in the Compose window, ALT + P, B, toggles the presence/absence of the BCC field as one of the edit boxes available for putting addresses in.  The default setup is only to show To and CC.

Focus is not thrown to the BCC field when you toggle it on (or off, as it would disappear then) so NVDA is not announcing anything.  You'd have to navigate back to it before it were to be announced.   That might be worth noting in the training material, since it is the exception, not the rule, that focus doesn't land in the BCC field at all when you toggle its presence on.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chris Smart

Yes, I do Tab and Shift+Tab around to see if BCC has appeared or disappeared. It doesn’t seem to appear.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: August 30, 2021 4:58 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Outlook Training Error

-
Not having the entire context, I cannot absolutely say whether or not there is an error, but I doubt it.  When in the Compose window, ALT + P, B, toggles the presence/absence of the BCC field as one of the edit boxes available for putting addresses in.  The default setup is only to show To and CC.

Focus is not thrown to the BCC field when you toggle it on (or off, as it would disappear then) so NVDA is not announcing anything.  You'd have to navigate back to it before it were to be announced.   That might be worth noting in the training material, since it is the exception, not the rule, that focus doesn't land in the BCC field at all when you toggle its presence on.

--

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chris,

I can't explain that.  But what they document is the toggle for the BCC field and does work on my machine, and has worked on many others elsewhere in the past.
--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chris Smart

Hmm.

Ok, here’s a thought.

When I go to Files > Microsoft Account > About Outlook, I read that I have Outlook for Office 365, version 16.0.14326.20164.

Is there a non-365 version and that is what this training is for?

Sent: August 30, 2021 6:53 PM

Chris,

I can't explain that.  But what they document is the toggle for the BCC field and does work on my machine, and has worked on many others elsewhere in the past.
--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jackie

Yes.

On 8/30/21, Chris Smart <ve3rwj@winsystem.org> wrote:
Hmm.

Ok, here’s a thought.

When I go to Files > Microsoft Account > About Outlook, I read that I have
Outlook for Office 365, version 16.0.14326.20164.

Chris,

I can't explain that. But what they document is the toggle for the BCC
field and does work on my machine, and has worked on many others elsewhere
in the past.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

Sarah k Alawami

Actually I can’t get it to work either. I press alt p which brings me to an options tab but pressing b does not a thing here. And I’m doing this from this message window I’m writing in.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris Smart
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2021 3:11 PM

Yes, I do Tab and Shift+Tab around to see if BCC has appeared or disappeared. It doesn’t seem to appear.

Sent: August 30, 2021 4:58 PM

-

--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chris Smart

Crap.
I honestly didn't know there was that big a difference between the two products.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jackie
Sent: August 30, 2021 7:12 PM

Yes.

On 8/30/21, Chris Smart <ve3rwj@winsystem.org> wrote:
Hmm.

Ok, here’s a thought.

When I go to Files > Microsoft Account > About Outlook, I read that I
have Outlook for Office 365, version 16.0.14326.20164.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian
Vogel

Chris,

I can't explain that. But what they document is the toggle for the
BCC field and does work on my machine, and has worked on many others
elsewhere in the past.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

--
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs

Sarah k Alawami

Yep I also have office 365 as well. I remember having to do something but that key  stroke was not it.

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

Sent: Monday, August 30, 2021 4:15 PM

Crap.

I honestly didn't know there was that big a difference between the two products.

Yes.

On 8/30/21, Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

> Hmm.

> Ok, here’s a thought.

> When I go to Files > Microsoft Account > About Outlook, I read that I

> have Outlook for Office 365, version 16.0.14326.20164.

> Is there a non-365 version and that is what this training is for?

> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian

> Vogel

> Sent: August 30, 2021 6:53 PM

> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

> Subject: Re: [nvda] Outlook Training Error

> Chris,

> I can't explain that.  But what they document is the toggle for the

> BCC field and does work on my machine, and has worked on many others

> elsewhere in the past.

> --

> Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

> Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and

> conscientious stupidity.

>          ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

>

--

wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs

Quentin Christensen

For the first question - where to send errors in the training material - to me please :)  I mean you can ask here as well, and hopefully get an answer to something you are having trouble getting to work, but I'm the one who can fix the training material.  info@....

In this case, it is more a case of an option which has moved than an error when the material was written.  In my Office 365, the option is still on the Options ribbon (alt+p), but now it is in a "..." menu.  You need to press alt+p, then 0, then 0, to open that, then b for bcc.  Interesting, in some ribbon-menus like that in Office, you could press the key for the option inside the menu and it would work, but not in this case, even though nothing else uses "b".

Of course, in a ribbon with 8 buttons like the options ribbon, I really can't understand why seven of them require two keys.  I think some of it is consistency - the options for colours and fonts etc, are the same keys as they are on the design ribbon in Word (T for themes, then C for colours for instance).  I still think they could be designed better, although now if they did, they would have to decide how much backward compatibility to incorporate...

Quentin.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 9:55 AM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

Yep I also have office 365 as well. I remember having to do something but that key  stroke was not it.

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

Sent: Monday, August 30, 2021 4:15 PM

Crap.

Yes.

On 8/30/21, Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

> Hmm.

> 

> 

> 

> Ok, here’s a thought.

> 

> When I go to Files > Microsoft Account > About Outlook, I read that I

> have Outlook for Office 365, version 16.0.14326.20164.

> 

> 

> 

> Is there a non-365 version and that is what this training is for?

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian

> Vogel

> Sent: August 30, 2021 6:53 PM

> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

> Subject: Re: [nvda] Outlook Training Error

> 

> 

> 

> Chris,

> 

> I can't explain that.  But what they document is the toggle for the

> BCC field and does work on my machine, and has worked on many others

> elsewhere in the past.

> --

> 

> Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

> 

> Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and

> conscientious stupidity.

> 

>          ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

>

> 

> 

> 

--

wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

This is actually the first thing I've heard of, that was an existing feature in Word 2016, that has been changed in 365.  All versions of Office since 2016 are built, directly, on the 2016 code.  Mostly it's been added "bells and whistles," leaving existing functionality very largely untouched.  Apparently that's not the case here.
--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quentin Christensen

I'm sure it was still there a little while ago.  Certainly it was unchanged in 2019 when the Outlook module was first released, but looks like I'll need to update it now :)

TBH, I can't actually recall exactly how that ribbon used to look compared to know to know what they've moved or likely added and so pushed that into a submenu to make room.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 12:47 PM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
This is actually the first thing I've heard of, that was an existing feature in Word 2016, that has been changed in 365.  All versions of Office since 2016 are built, directly, on the 2016 code.  Mostly it's been added "bells and whistles," leaving existing functionality very largely untouched.  Apparently that's not the case here.
--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

--
Quentin Christensen

Chris Smart

Hi.

Here’s what I’ve jotted down so far as I work through the module. I’m only about halfway through, and I’m not sure which of these are actual issues or a matter of misreading things on my part, i.e. operator error.

NOTE: The following possible errors were encountered while working through your Outlook training, while using Outlook version 16.0.14326.20216.

A general comment: Lists, like the table of contents, are not formatted correctly in the epub version, at least when read using QRead 3.21 for Windows. Could these be put one item per line, or even turned into hyperlinks, if the EPUB format supports it?

2.4 Sending Email: Duplicate sentence.

“After writing and double checking a message, press alt+s to send it. Once sent, the message cannot be cancelled. After writing and double checking a message, it is ready to be sent. To send a message, press alt+s. Once a message has been sent, it can generally not be recalled.”

2.7 Reading Messages

You repeat yourself in the paragraph about message sorting.

The default message order is to have the newest at the top and the oldest at the bottom. To reverse this sort order, press alt+v, then r, then s. The sort order can also be changed to another field. Sort by subject to have messages sorted by their subject line, alphabetically. Messages can also be sorted by sender, recipient, and many other fields. Press alt+v, then a, then b to choose the field messages are arranged by. This opens a menu where the field to sort by can be chosen. If desired, reverse the sort order with alt+v, then r, then s.”

3.6 Using BCC

While editing a message ALT+P does indeed open the Options ribbon, but B doesn’t seem to do anything.

4.6 Recurring Appointments:

When editing an appointment, press alt+h, then e to open the "Appointment Recurrence" dialog.”

I get an error chime when I press the E in that key sequence.

4.8 Using Multiple Calendars:

To add a new calendar, press alt+h, then o, then c.”

I can’t get that to work.

I hope to get through the rest of the module today.

Chris

Quentin Christensen

Hi Chris,

Thanks for highlighting these!  The good news (for me), the first one is where I must have rewritten the paragraph and then inadvertently left both copies in.  The second was where I had simply repeated a sentence - and the rest are changes Microsoft have made to their ribbon structure.

In each of those cases, the keystroke changing is caused by Microsoft moving the option into a submenu, so it it on the same ribbon but you need to add 0, then 0:

To toggle the BCC field, press alt+p, 0, 0, b

To add reccurance to a calendar event, with the event open, you now need to press alt+h, 0, 0, e.

To add a new calendar, you now need to press alt+h, 0, 0, a, o  (as well as being in that 0 0 menu, it is in an "add / share" submenu as well, as is b" for new blank calendar).

The recurrence change is the one I really disagree with - while you shouldn't need to add calendars too often, or toggle the BCC field, you often need to add or edit recurrance to a calender event.  If anyone else feels the same way, the best I can suggest is petitioning Microsoft to make it easier to get to.

I'll update the module in the shop, once I've edit it a bit more - and if you find any other issues through the remainder of the module, please do let me know!

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 11:55 PM Chris Smart <ve3rwj@...> wrote:

Hi.

Here’s what I’ve jotted down so far as I work through the module. I’m only about halfway through, and I’m not sure which of these are actual issues or a matter of misreading things on my part, i.e. operator error.

NOTE: The following possible errors were encountered while working through your Outlook training, while using Outlook version 16.0.14326.20216.

A general comment: Lists, like the table of contents, are not formatted correctly in the epub version, at least when read using QRead 3.21 for Windows. Could these be put one item per line, or even turned into hyperlinks, if the EPUB format supports it?

2.4 Sending Email: Duplicate sentence.

“After writing and double checking a message, press alt+s to send it. Once sent, the message cannot be cancelled. After writing and double checking a message, it is ready to be sent. To send a message, press alt+s. Once a message has been sent, it can generally not be recalled.”

2.7 Reading Messages

You repeat yourself in the paragraph about message sorting.

The default message order is to have the newest at the top and the oldest at the bottom. To reverse this sort order, press alt+v, then r, then s. The sort order can also be changed to another field. Sort by subject to have messages sorted by their subject line, alphabetically. Messages can also be sorted by sender, recipient, and many other fields. Press alt+v, then a, then b to choose the field messages are arranged by. This opens a menu where the field to sort by can be chosen. If desired, reverse the sort order with alt+v, then r, then s.”

3.6 Using BCC

While editing a message ALT+P does indeed open the Options ribbon, but B doesn’t seem to do anything.

4.6 Recurring Appointments:

When editing an appointment, press alt+h, then e to open the "Appointment Recurrence" dialog.”

I get an error chime when I press the E in that key sequence.

4.8 Using Multiple Calendars:

To add a new calendar, press alt+h, then o, then c.”

I can’t get that to work.

I hope to get through the rest of the module today.

Chris

--
Quentin Christensen

Quentin,

One bit of input from me:  The use of Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2019 remains very common.  I don't know where the ribbon changes occurred, but you might want to find out where, and leave in the old information with the proviso, "If you're using {insert version(s) of Outlook}," prior to each so that users will have the full skinny.  Eventually, the old version section needs to come out.  But at this juncture I think it's definitely premature to believe that all Office users are using Microsoft 365.  And given how long older versions often get kept "in the community," it makes sense to note those differences for a while, at least.

I have to imagine Outlook 2021 will follow precisely the pattern of 365 at the moment, but there's even the potential for a split to eventually happen there, too.
--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quentin Christensen

Brian, you're absolutely right!  It's one of the trickiest things about Office.  If you're using Office 2003, or 2007, or 2010, I can tell you the keystroke for a particular function (well, maybe not off the top of my head, but they don't change).  Office 2016?  There were several updates which changed things around.  And Office 365 is constantly changing.

So I've looked a bit more at this ribbon change, called the "Simplified" ribbon.  Microsoft apparently introduced it early this year, although seemingly to the online office first, then Outlook, and I haven't seen it anywhere else yet, but I expect it will find its way across the suite.  Here's their page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-the-simplified-ribbon-44bef9c3-295d-4092-b7f0-f471fa629a98

It indicates it applies to Office 365 and Outlook 2016.

It's basically a nightmare, designed entirely for touch users, and I would strongly encourage everyone to switch to the classic ribbon, for several reasons:

- The classic ribbon is consistent.  The keystrokes often don't make sense, but at least they don't change.  In the simplified ribbon, items can move in or out of the "overflow" area depending on how often you use them (or you can manually pin or unpin things).  That wouldn't be so bad for keyboard users, if the keystroke wasn't completely different depending on whether an item is in the ribbon or the overflow area.

- Using the classic ribbon, you can tab through every option.  Using the simplified ribbon, you can tab through the visible options, but you will need to enter one, and sometimes more than one, overflow ribbon, in order to explore features.

You can revert to the classic ribbon by pressing alt to move to the menu, then applications key to open the context menu, and choose "Use classic ribbon".

Quentin.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 1:01 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Quentin,

One bit of input from me:  The use of Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2019 remains very common.  I don't know where the ribbon changes occurred, but you might want to find out where, and leave in the old information with the proviso, "If you're using {insert version(s) of Outlook}," prior to each so that users will have the full skinny.  Eventually, the old version section needs to come out.  But at this juncture I think it's definitely premature to believe that all Office users are using Microsoft 365.  And given how long older versions often get kept "in the community," it makes sense to note those differences for a while, at least.

I have to imagine Outlook 2021 will follow precisely the pattern of 365 at the moment, but there's even the potential for a split to eventually happen there, too.
--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

--
Quentin Christensen

Quentin Christensen

Quick update on this whole Outlook ribbon issue.  I investigated some more and wrote up some information on our blog this week: https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-3rd-september-2021/

TL;DR: Our recommendation is to switch back to the classic ribbon interface in Outlook.  Press alt to access the ribbon, applications key to open the context menu and choose "Use Classic Ribbon".

I've passed on a fair bit of feedback to Microsoft on this and I'd encourage anyone else who has feelings on it to do likewise.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 2:56 PM Quentin Christensen via groups.io <quentin=nvaccess.org@groups.io> wrote:
Brian, you're absolutely right!  It's one of the trickiest things about Office.  If you're using Office 2003, or 2007, or 2010, I can tell you the keystroke for a particular function (well, maybe not off the top of my head, but they don't change).  Office 2016?  There were several updates which changed things around.  And Office 365 is constantly changing.

So I've looked a bit more at this ribbon change, called the "Simplified" ribbon.  Microsoft apparently introduced it early this year, although seemingly to the online office first, then Outlook, and I haven't seen it anywhere else yet, but I expect it will find its way across the suite.  Here's their page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/use-the-simplified-ribbon-44bef9c3-295d-4092-b7f0-f471fa629a98

It indicates it applies to Office 365 and Outlook 2016.

It's basically a nightmare, designed entirely for touch users, and I would strongly encourage everyone to switch to the classic ribbon, for several reasons:

- The classic ribbon is consistent.  The keystrokes often don't make sense, but at least they don't change.  In the simplified ribbon, items can move in or out of the "overflow" area depending on how often you use them (or you can manually pin or unpin things).  That wouldn't be so bad for keyboard users, if the keystroke wasn't completely different depending on whether an item is in the ribbon or the overflow area.

- Using the classic ribbon, you can tab through every option.  Using the simplified ribbon, you can tab through the visible options, but you will need to enter one, and sometimes more than one, overflow ribbon, in order to explore features.

You can revert to the classic ribbon by pressing alt to move to the menu, then applications key to open the context menu, and choose "Use classic ribbon".

Quentin.

On Thu, Sep 2, 2021 at 1:01 AM Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:
Quentin,

--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

--
Quentin Christensen

--
Quentin Christensen