Outlook Training Error

Chris Smart

Generally, where should I send possible mistakes in the NVDA Basic Training modules?

I’m pretty sure I found one in the Outlook training. The sentence in question says:

Press alt+p to open the Options ribbon, then b to activate the BCC option.”

While editing a message such as this one, ALT+P does indeed open the Options ribbon, but B doesn’t seem to do anything.

Chris

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 03:50 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
While editing a message such as this one, ALT+P does indeed open the Options ribbon, but B doesn’t seem to do anything.
-
Not having the entire context, I cannot absolutely say whether or not there is an error, but I doubt it.  When in the Compose window, ALT + P, B, toggles the presence/absence of the BCC field as one of the edit boxes available for putting addresses in.  The default setup is only to show To and CC.

Focus is not thrown to the BCC field when you toggle it on (or off, as it would disappear then) so NVDA is not announcing anything.  You'd have to navigate back to it before it were to be announced.   That might be worth noting in the training material, since it is the exception, not the rule, that focus doesn't land in the BCC field at all when you toggle its presence on.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chris Smart

Yes, I do Tab and Shift+Tab around to see if BCC has appeared or disappeared. It doesn’t seem to appear.

[...]

I can't explain that.  But what they document is the toggle for the BCC field and does work on my machine, and has worked on many others elsewhere in the past.

         ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chris Smart

Hmm.

Ok, here’s a thought.

When I go to Files > Microsoft Account > About Outlook, I read that I have Outlook for Office 365, version 16.0.14326.20164.

Is there a non-365 version and that is what this training is for?

I can't explain that. But what they document is the toggle for the BCC
field and does work on my machine, and has worked on many others elsewhere
in the past.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sarah k Alawami

Actually I can’t get it to work either. I press alt p which brings me to an options tab but pressing b does not a thing here. And I’m doing this from this message window I’m writing in.

[...]

Crap.
I honestly didn't know there was that big a difference between the two products.

When I go to Files > Microsoft Account > About Outlook, I read that I
have Outlook for Office 365, version 16.0.14326.20164.

Is there a non-365 version and that is what this training is for?

I can't explain that. But what they document is the toggle for the
BCC field and does work on my machine, and has worked on many others
elsewhere in the past.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sarah k Alawami

Yep I also have office 365 as well. I remember having to do something but that key  stroke was not it.

----

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFfP. We are also on lbry as well.

Stay in touch with us via our discord. This is an easier way to both contact us, and get to know your fellow listeners.

I honestly didn't know there was that big a difference between the two products.

> When I go to Files > Microsoft Account > About Outlook, I read that I

> have Outlook for Office 365, version 16.0.14326.20164.

> Is there a non-365 version and that is what this training is for?

wp4newbs-request@... with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs

Quentin Christensen

For the first question - where to send errors in the training material - to me please :)  I mean you can ask here as well, and hopefully get an answer to something you are having trouble getting to work, but I'm the one who can fix the training material.  info@....

In this case, it is more a case of an option which has moved than an error when the material was written.  In my Office 365, the option is still on the Options ribbon (alt+p), but now it is in a "..." menu.  You need to press alt+p, then 0, then 0, to open that, then b for bcc.  Interesting, in some ribbon-menus like that in Office, you could press the key for the option inside the menu and it would work, but not in this case, even though nothing else uses "b".

Of course, in a ribbon with 8 buttons like the options ribbon, I really can't understand why seven of them require two keys.  I think some of it is consistency - the options for colours and fonts etc, are the same keys as they are on the design ribbon in Word (T for themes, then C for colours for instance).  I still think they could be designed better, although now if they did, they would have to decide how much backward compatibility to incorporate...

Quentin.