locked Owner's Note: Thank You #adminnotice

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

On this Thanksgiving day in the U.S., I want to babble and do a bit of reflection, and I hope you will read this message thoroughly. I hope this message finds all of you happy, healthy, content, etc.

This past year has been nothing short of a nightmare for many of us. I know I have, and continue to face struggles, and I have no doubt that many of you are as well. All I can say is, we need to try to remain resilient. We need to lean on one another. We need to lean into those things that make each of us who we are. We need to love, we need to live, and we need to laugh. A lot. Some of us also need to grieve. We need to work through our pain. We need to scream,  we need to cry. For those things, all of those things are what unite us as human beings, across cultures, across religious boundaries, across borders.

In all of that, I want to thank you. Thank you for being part of this community. Thank you for passing along your knowledge to others. Thank you for being part of what makes this community a community. We are all united around NVDA, of course, but we are also unique individuals with struggles, hopes, dreams, etc., and anyone contributing to this community helps make it what it is. Whether you are here to post your questions, or are mostly providing answers, and even if you are simply a lurker, thank you. I am grateful for your support, for being here. We might disagree with one another at times, we might get annoyed at one another at times, but we are all humans, all here united around NVDA.

I also want to thank NvAccess. They are the reason we are here, of course, and they provide equity where that wasn't a thing before NVDA, to many who can now use their computers at no cost. Should you feel called to do so, please consider giving to NVAccess in the form of a donation this year. There are many deals this time of year, of lots of things to buy, but we can all help make sure that NVAccess continues to deliver.

Finally, I realize that Thanksgiving is not celebrated by everyone, and I recognize that some may even be hurting on this day. If you are one of those individuals, I want you to feel comfortable reaching out to me personally, using the contact information in my signature. I am happy to talk to you, and to do what I can to help. If you are an Indigenous person, I hope that you will understand the intent behind this message, and recognize that it is not my intent to cause you suffering. If, for some other reason, you are struggling on this day, I am sorry for your pain, and I hope you will reach out to someone. You are not alone.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

Thank you, and have a great day!

Quentin Christensen

Thanks Nimer!

And thanks to everyone who makes this community so special and helpful.

I hope everyone is staying safe, having either a great Thanksgiving, or simply a good week.

Kind regards

Quentin.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 6:03 AM Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@...> wrote:
Hello,

On this Thanksgiving day in the U.S., I want to babble and do a bit of reflection, and I hope you will read this message thoroughly. I hope this message finds all of you happy, healthy, content, etc.

This past year has been nothing short of a nightmare for many of us. I know I have, and continue to face struggles, and I have no doubt that many of you are as well. All I can say is, we need to try to remain resilient. We need to lean on one another. We need to lean into those things that make each of us who we are. We need to love, we need to live, and we need to laugh. A lot. Some of us also need to grieve. We need to work through our pain. We need to scream,  we need to cry. For those things, all of those things are what unite us as human beings, across cultures, across religious boundaries, across borders.

In all of that, I want to thank you. Thank you for being part of this community. Thank you for passing along your knowledge to others. Thank you for being part of what makes this community a community. We are all united around NVDA, of course, but we are also unique individuals with struggles, hopes, dreams, etc., and anyone contributing to this community helps make it what it is. Whether you are here to post your questions, or are mostly providing answers, and even if you are simply a lurker, thank you. I am grateful for your support, for being here. We might disagree with one another at times, we might get annoyed at one another at times, but we are all humans, all here united around NVDA.

I also want to thank NvAccess. They are the reason we are here, of course, and they provide equity where that wasn't a thing before NVDA, to many who can now use their computers at no cost. Should you feel called to do so, please consider giving to NVAccess in the form of a donation this year. There are many deals this time of year, of lots of things to buy, but we can all help make sure that NVAccess continues to deliver.

Finally, I realize that Thanksgiving is not celebrated by everyone, and I recognize that some may even be hurting on this day. If you are one of those individuals, I want you to feel comfortable reaching out to me personally, using the contact information in my signature. I am happy to talk to you, and to do what I can to help. If you are an Indigenous person, I hope that you will understand the intent behind this message, and recognize that it is not my intent to cause you suffering. If, for some other reason, you are struggling on this day, I am sorry for your pain, and I hope you will reach out to someone. You are not alone.

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

To find out about a free, open-source, and versatile screen reader for Windows, visit nvaccess.org

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

udit pandey

Happy thanksgiving day to all!
I am from India here we dont celebrate this day but hold on, celebrations cannot be stopped so happy thanksgiving day to my dear friends!
can anyone tell me that why you people celebrate this day?

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

i'm from brazil, isn't thanksgiving in desember?

Em qui., 25 de nov. de 2021 às 22:42, udit pandey <udit52805@...> escreveu:

I am from India here we dont celebrate this day but hold on, celebrations cannot be stopped so happy thanksgiving day to my dear friends!

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, India,

The Pilgrams cme from England to fight for freedom from their tyrannical government. They settled in a place called Janestown in 1620. They came to our shores on a ship called the Mayflower. After settlihng on our shores, they gave thanks to God for all the blessings he had given them. That’s why we celebrate Thanksgiving. I know Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in October.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail for Windows

Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2021 5:42 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Owner's Note: Thank You #adminnotice

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Edwardo,

No, Thanksgiving is in November here in the United States. We celebrate Christmas in December.

Rosemarie

Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2021 5:45 PM

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

my family said that thanksgiving is celebrated a few days before christmas

Em qui., 25 de nov. de 2021 às 22:56, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> escreveu:

Hi, Edwardo,

No, Thanksgiving is in November here in the United States. We celebrate Christmas in December.

Rosemarie

Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2021 5:45 PM

Gene

After the Pilgrims landed, they had a brutally hard winter and some of them died.  The first Thanksgiving was celebrated after the first summer, in the fall because of the good harvest that year. 

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2021 7:54 PM

Hi, India,

The Pilgrams cme from England to fight for freedom from their tyrannical government. They settled in a place called Janestown in 1620. They came to our shores on a ship called the Mayflower. After settlihng on our shores, they gave thanks to God for all the blessings he had given them. That’s why we celebrate Thanksgiving. I know Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in October.

Rosemarie

I am from India here we dont celebrate this day but hold on, celebrations cannot be stopped so happy thanksgiving day to my dear friends!

Howard Traxler

Do you mean to say that Columbus was not one of the pilgrims and it didn't happen in 1492?  My histaria teachers should be ashamed.

Howard

On 11/25/2021 8:00 PM, Gene wrote:
After the Pilgrims landed, they had a brutally hard winter and some of them died.  The first Thanksgiving was celebrated after the first summer, in the fall because of the good harvest that year. 

Gene

Hi, India,

Rosemarie

I am from India here we dont celebrate this day but hold on, celebrations cannot be stopped so happy thanksgiving day to my dear friends!

Monte Single

Maby it is in Brazilo;  in Canada, it is the second Monday  in October.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Eduardo Fermiano Luccas
Sent: November 25, 2021 7:45 PM

Arlene

Yes we do. We celebrate Thanks Giving on the second Monday in October.

Sent: November 25, 2021 6:56 PM

Do you mean to say that Columbus was not one of the pilgrims and it didn't happen in 1492?  My histaria teachers should be ashamed.

Howard

Gene

Hi, India,

Rosemarie

Eduardo Fermiano Luccas

I don't know when the day is here, but I've heard about that day, so it should be celebrated

Em sex., 26 de nov. de 2021 às 01:07, Arlene <nedster66@...> escreveu:

Yes we do. We celebrate Thanks Giving on the second Monday in October.

Sent: November 25, 2021 6:56 PM

Howard

Gene

Hi, India,

Rosemarie

Akshaya Choudhary

Thank you, Nimar, and everyone for their contributions.
Happy Thanks Giving to the group.  
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Mallard <mallard@...>

Lol! Columbus had nothing, but relaly nothing, to do with the Pilgrim Fathers! He happened to hit ground on Espanola, now Haiti, on  October 12th, 1942... But the MayFlower, the ship that took the Founding Fathers to america, was in 1620.

In addition, Columbus was Italian (someone says Spanish...), while the Pilgrim Fathers were English.

The first Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621... The rest is too crude to tell here, but if you look up 1637, you'll have a very interesting story.

Sorry. End of reply.

I'm disappearing again, for the next 15 years at least... LOL!

Ciao,

Ollie

On 26/11/2021 03:55, Howard Traxler wrote:

Howard

Gene
*From:* Rosemarie Chavarria <mailto:knitqueen2007@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Thursday, November 25, 2021 7:54 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Owner's Note: Thank You #adminnotice

Hi, India,

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows

*Sent: *Thursday, November 25, 2021 5:42 PM
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] Owner's Note: Thank You #adminnotice

Chris Smart

1942 eh? You should proofread before hitting Send.

And now, I hope we go back to NVDA discussion. (grin)

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mallard
Sent: November 26, 2021 8:23 AM

Lol! Columbus had nothing, but relaly nothing, to do with the Pilgrim Fathers! He happened to hit ground on Espanola, now Haiti, on October 12th, 1942... But the MayFlower, the ship that took the Founding Fathers to america, was in 1620.

In addition, Columbus was Italian (someone says Spanish...), while the Pilgrim Fathers were English.

The first Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621... The rest is too crude
to tell here, but if you look up 1637, you'll have a very interesting story.

Sorry. End of reply.

Ciao,

Ollie

Do you mean to say that Columbus was not one of the pilgrims and it
didn't happen in 1492? My histaria teachers should be ashamed.

Howard

After the Pilgrims landed, they had a brutally hard winter and some
of them died. The first Thanksgiving was celebrated after the first
summer, in the fall because of the good harvest that year.
Gene
*From:* Rosemarie Chavarria <mailto:knitqueen2007@gmail.com>
*Sent:* Thursday, November 25, 2021 7:54 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Owner's Note: Thank You #adminnotice

Hi, India,

The Pilgrams cme from England to fight for freedom from their
tyrannical government. They settled in a place called Janestown in
1620. They came to our shores on a ship called the Mayflower. After
settlihng on our shores, they gave thanks to God for all the
blessings he had given them. That’s why we celebrate Thanksgiving. I
know Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in October.

Rosemarie

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for
Windows

*Sent: *Thursday, November 25, 2021 5:42 PM
*To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject: *Re: [nvda] Owner's Note: Thank You #adminnotice

I am from India here we dont celebrate this day but hold on,
celebrations cannot be stopped so happy thanksgiving day to my dear
friends!

Rosemarie Chavarria

No. It was 1492—not 1942.

Sent: Friday, November 26, 2021 5:22 AM

Lol! Columbus had nothing, but relaly nothing, to do with the Pilgrim

Fathers! He happened to hit ground on Espanola, now Haiti, on  October

12th, 1942... But the MayFlower, the ship that took the Founding Fathers

to america, was in 1620.

In addition, Columbus was Italian (someone says Spanish...), while the

Pilgrim Fathers were English.

The first Thanksgiving was celebrated in 1621... The rest is too crude

to tell here, but if you look up 1637, you'll have a very interesting story.

Sorry. End of reply.

Ciao,

Ollie

> Do you mean to say that Columbus was not one of the pilgrims and it

> didn't happen in 1492?  My histaria teachers should be ashamed.

> Howard

> On 11/25/2021 8:00 PM, Gene wrote:

>> After the Pilgrims landed, they had a brutally hard winter and some

>> of them died.  The first Thanksgiving was celebrated after the first

>> summer, in the fall because of the good harvest that year.

>> Gene

>> -----Original Message-----

>> *From:* Rosemarie Chavarria <mailto:knitqueen2007@...>

>> *Sent:* Thursday, November 25, 2021 7:54 PM

>> *To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io

>> *Subject:* Re: [nvda] Owner's Note: Thank You #adminnotice

>> 

>> Hi, India,

>> 

>> The Pilgrams cme from England to fight for freedom from their

>> tyrannical government. They settled in a place called Janestown in

>> 1620. They came to our shores on a ship called the Mayflower. After

>> settlihng on our shores, they gave thanks to God for all the

>> blessings he had given them. That’s why we celebrate Thanksgiving. I

>> know Canada celebrates Thanksgiving in October.

>> 

>> I hope this helps somewhat.

>> 

>> Rosemarie

>> 

>> Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for

>> Windows

>> 

>> *From: *udit pandey <mailto:udit52805@...>

>> *Sent: *Thursday, November 25, 2021 5:42 PM

>> *To: *nvda@nvda.groups.io

>> *Subject: *Re: [nvda] Owner's Note: Thank You #adminnotice

>> 

>> Happy thanksgiving day to all!

>> 

>> I am from India here we dont celebrate this day but hold on,

>> celebrations cannot be stopped so happy thanksgiving day to my dear

>> friends!

>> 

>> can anyone tell me that why you people celebrate this day?

>> 

>

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Gene,

Yes, the Pilgrims did face a very brutal winter and half of them died.

Rosemarie

Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2021 6:00 PM

Gene

Hi, India,

Rosemarie

Nimer Jaber

On this note, I will lock this thread. Thank you all for your messages of support.

On Fri, Nov 26, 2021 at 8:29 AM Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@...> wrote:

Hi, Gene,

Yes, the Pilgrims did face a very brutal winter and half of them died.

Rosemarie

Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2021 6:00 PM

Gene

Hi, India,

Rosemarie

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber