From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Clement Chou
Sent: Tuesday, May 5, 2020 4:43 PM
To: nvda <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] PDF Alternative Apart from Edge?

Been using Edge to read PDF's for awhile now, but am trying to find one that's more dedicated and that works better than Edge. Any recommendations? Adobe products still the best solution? Or is there a more accesible alternative?

Clement Chou

Thanks. I'll give that a try... last time I tried adobe reader it was
a bit clunky at best... hopefully things have improved a little. Just
wanted to see what others were using.

On 5/5/20, molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:
Hi.
You might want to try adobe acrobat. There is a free version. You can have
pdfs open in adobe and read them that way if you like.

Been using Edge to read PDF's for awhile now, but am trying to find one
that's more dedicated and that works better than Edge. Any recommendations?
Adobe products still the best solution? Or is there a more accesible
alternative?

molly the blind tech lover

You're welcome ☺

Been using Edge to read PDF's for awhile now, but am trying to find
one that's more dedicated and that works better than Edge. Any recommendations?
Adobe products still the best solution? Or is there a more accesible
alternative?

Sascha Cowley

In my experience, Acrobat is even clunkier than it used to be. I still keep it around as it's slightly better with some tagged PDFs, and I often need to fill PDF forms, which Edge doesn't support.

On 6/05/2020 07:39, Clement Chou wrote:
Thanks. I'll give that a try... last time I tried adobe reader it was
a bit clunky at best... hopefully things have improved a little. Just
wanted to see what others were using.

On 5/5/20, molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:
Hi.
You might want to try adobe acrobat. There is a free version. You can have
pdfs open in adobe and read them that way if you like.

Been using Edge to read PDF's for awhile now, but am trying to find one
that's more dedicated and that works better than Edge. Any recommendations?
Adobe products still the best solution? Or is there a more accesible
alternative?

Clement Chou

So is Edge the best solution for reading pdfs right now? That's
unfortunate if it is...

On 5/5/20, Sascha Cowley via groups.io
<sascha.camille=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Daniel Damacena

I like to use bookworrm. The only problem I notice is: it tweaks the lines to have the same cize, so it adds artificial line breaks.
It makes us not able to read by paragraphs and you need to remove line breaks when you're copying quotes to make a paper.
If you just want to read continuously, it's really nice!

--
Daniel Damacena

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 06:04 PM, Clement Chou wrote:
That's unfortunate if it is...
Why?  (And that's a serious question.)

There had been an issue with PDFs in the stable version of the new Edge, but I believe that has been fixed now.  It's not my favorite, though, as I prefer to open PDFs in a dedicated reader or editor for same.  It seems to be very-well-liked in the screen reader forums I participate on.  What is it that you are looking for that Edge isn't giving you?  That's pretty essential to know if alternatives are to be proposed.

Bob Jutzi

I still use Adobe Acrobat.

--
Daniel Damacena

Clement Chou

Navigation keys don't seem to work in edge even in places where there
are clearly outlined headings and tables. The NVDA+ctrl+F find feature
doesn't seem to work, either.

On 5/5/20, Sascha Cowley via groups.io <http://groups.io>
<sascha.camille=yahoo.com@groups.io <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>>

<mailto:brainardmolly@...>> wrote:
>>> Hi.
>>> You might want to try adobe acrobat. There is a free version.
You can
>>> have
>>> pdfs open in adobe and read them that way if you like.

<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> On Behalf Of
Clement

--
Daniel Damacena

Sarah k Alawami

I use brave. Tables are handled nicely, headings are as well. By the way brave is a nice web browser too.

Take care

<sascha.camille@... <mailto:yahoo.com@groups.io>>

--
Daniel Damacena

Daniel Damacena

It seems that big pdf files can not be read by NVDA on brave. I deal with really big files everyday, so it does not help me...
Anyway, thank you!

--
Daniel Damacena

--
Daniel Damacena

Luke Davis

On Thu, 7 May 2020, Daniel Damacena wrote:

It seems that big pdf files can not be read by NVDA on brave. I deal with really big files everyday, so it does not help me...
Can you give an example of "big"? What size of file does this? Is there a link to a sample you can provide?

Luke

Tyaseta Rabita Nugraeni Sardjono <tyasetarabita@...>

Adobe reader, adobe acrobat dc, foxit reader,

On Wed, May 6, 2020, 03:42 Clement Chou <chou.clement@...> wrote:
Been using Edge to read PDF's for awhile now, but am trying to find
one that's more dedicated and that works better than Edge. Any
recommendations? Adobe products still the best solution? Or is there a
more accesible alternative?

NFB Reader.

On 5/8/20, Tyaseta Rabita Nugraeni Sardjono <tyasetarabita@...> wrote:
Adobe reader, adobe acrobat dc, foxit reader,

On Wed, May 6, 2020, 03:42 Clement Chou <chou.clement@...> wrote:

Been using Edge to read PDF's for awhile now, but am trying to find
one that's more dedicated and that works better than Edge. Any
recommendations? Adobe products still the best solution? Or is there a
more accesible alternative?

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified

Daniel Damacena

Near to a thousand pages, in average.
Those files are in portuguese, since I am from Brazil.