From: Mert Anlar
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2021 6:24 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] imbedded object unavailable issue

hi folks;

when I try to read pdf documents on either chrom or edge, NVDA says
imbedded object unavailable and the rest of the page is blank, don't
know how to handle it.

what should I do in this case, any help would be appreciated.

thanks

I agree with Gene.  The most likely problem is that this PDF so happens to be an image-scanned PDF without any text layer associated with it.  They are out there by the millions, particularly for older scanned PDF files.

Either try NVDA OCR or download the file and use whatever OCR processing you may prefer to add a text layer to the entire document.  The latter is easier if the document is long, at least to me, or if it's something you intend to refer to later.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Sarah k Alawami

Edited

That might not always be the case. I’ve had it say that, and in some cases all I have to do is click “fit to page” and the text appears. Try that first.

Good luck.

I agree with Gene.  The most likely problem is that this PDF so happens to be an image-scanned PDF without any text layer associated with it.  They are out there by the millions, particularly for older scanned PDF files.

Either try NVDA OCR or download the file and use whatever OCR processing you may prefer to add a text layer to the entire document.  The latter is easier if the document is long, at least to me, or if it's something you intend to refer to later.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Mert Anlar

hi;

where is that option?

17.03.2021 18:20 tarihinde Sarah k Alawami yazdı:

That might not always be the case. I’ve had it say that, and in some cases all I have to do is click “fit to pate” and the text appears. Try that first.

Good luck.

I agree with Gene.  The most likely problem is that this PDF so happens to be an image-scanned PDF without any text layer associated with it.  They are out there by the millions, particularly for older scanned PDF files.

Either try NVDA OCR or download the file and use whatever OCR processing you may prefer to add a text layer to the entire document.  The latter is easier if the document is long, at least to me, or if it's something you intend to refer to later.

      ~ Anton Chekhov

Sarah k Alawami

In brave or edge you can just arrow down until you hear "fit to page' or "fit to width." I don't knwo exactly where it is on theepage, but it should show upwhen you open a pdf in either of those two browsers.

On 17 Mar 2021, at 14:43, Mert Anlar wrote:

[...]

i've tryed that method on the Edge browser and it worked.
thank you.
18.03.2021 00:55 tarihinde Sarah k Alawami yazdı:

[...]

Luke Davis

I don't remember this getting an answer.

You can always use any IRS form as a reliable PDF. https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

Luke

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021, Gene wrote:

To test this, we have to be sure the pdf file is not an image. If it is not an image, you should be able to read it. I don't know a page that has a PDF file that is not an image. If someone doesn't post a link to one in a reasonable time, I'll find one.