Topics

Performance degradation in current Firefox

Felix G.

Hello list!
Is anyone else experiencing sluggish behavior in Firefox 45? Specifically, the following occurs for me with NVDA, but may or may not be related to NVDA of course:
- NVDA randomly repeating the Window title
- Navigation sometimes bounces back to the previously selected element if I go too fast. When navigating very slowly this does not occur. By navigation, I refer to the arrow keys and also to quick nav keys like h for heading and k for link.
- Responsiveness is generally slow when arrowing around in complex web pages like Facebook, Youtube etc.
I am suspecting NVDA is involved to some extent as the affected key commands are interpreted by NVDA rather than by FF.
Has anyone experienced this, and found a way to recover?
Kind regards and happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it,
Felix Grützmacher

Kevin Chao

Yes, many others including myself have observed accessibility regressions in Firefox. hence, we've switched to Chrome+NVDA.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 7:10 AM Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
Hello list!
Is anyone else experiencing sluggish behavior in Firefox 45? Specifically, the following occurs for me with NVDA, but may or may not be related to NVDA of course:
- NVDA randomly repeating the Window title
- Navigation sometimes bounces back to the previously selected element if I go too fast. When navigating very slowly this does not occur. By navigation, I refer to the arrow keys and also to quick nav keys like h for heading and k for link.
- Responsiveness is generally slow when arrowing around in complex web pages like Facebook, Youtube etc.
I am suspecting NVDA is involved to some extent as the affected key commands are interpreted by NVDA rather than by FF.
Has anyone experienced this, and found a way to recover?
Kind regards and happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it,
Felix Grützmacher

Pete <emac00@...>

Hi any one

I click on a p d f file link in e-mail, fire fox opens it up then nvda stops speaking for around a minute.
Pressing the start button or trying to switch open windows with alt + tab nvda stays quiet.

Pete

Mário Navarro

Yes, happens to me.
NVDA is very unstable in this update.
NVDA is also very heavy on windows 10 after brouzing  for some time ...
I have to restart  NVDA to get fine again.
unfortunately NVDA every new update, is getting worse and very heavy.
and I not have many addons installed
I had to go back to using jaws because it is very light and fast.
cheers.

Às 14:10 de 26/03/2016, Felix G. escreveu:

Hello list!
Is anyone else experiencing sluggish behavior in Firefox 45? Specifically, the following occurs for me with NVDA, but may or may not be related to NVDA of course:
- NVDA randomly repeating the Window title
- Navigation sometimes bounces back to the previously selected element if I go too fast. When navigating very slowly this does not occur. By navigation, I refer to the arrow keys and also to quick nav keys like h for heading and k for link.
- Responsiveness is generally slow when arrowing around in complex web pages like Facebook, Youtube etc.
I am suspecting NVDA is involved to some extent as the affected key commands are interpreted by NVDA rather than by FF.
Has anyone experienced this, and found a way to recover?
Kind regards and happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it,
Felix Grützmacher

Hmmm.
I have always changed pdfs association to start the pdf reader of my choice or save the file.
Pdfs do take a bit to load.
Of late, especially if running bt sync but sometimes firefox and a few other windows say 1-2 windows, like say coppying 2 drives with 2 folders of info at once.
Nvda can have what I can only discrube as a focus issue.
It seems to loose focus on the desktop or something where I then get hitting esc and start menu starts, if I hit esc the desktop appears but only half way.
It happens when I exit bt sync 1x and skype latest to sometimes and I have to fix it with an nvda restart.
Its happened to much yesterday, at first I thought it was a virus but no virus and no malware as far as malwarebytes says so I know I am in the clear.
from time to time I hear hardware disconnecting and reconnecting, but I am sure its probably because I am exhausting my usb's power unit with my keyboard, its an old chinese usb I got ages ago and probably needs an upgrade to handle itself so I am not worrying so much, it works well enough for what I need it for.
It usually only happens once every few days but yesterday it happened just to much for my liking, at least 10 times.
I had a lot of work to do that day, its not happened yet today but that doesn't mean it won't.
Luckily I am almost finnished for the day.
I have noticed though that firefox has included a feature called hello I am not sure what this beta plugin does but its a mozilla thing.
I have via ccleaner turned it off and now firefox hasn't crashed yet though it may, I really should upgrade my hub as I am flogging it right now but oh well.

On 27/03/2016 6:05 a.m., Pete wrote:

Hi any one

I click on a p d f file link in e-mail, fire fox opens it up then
nvda stops speaking for around a minute.
Pressing the start button or trying to switch open windows with alt +
tab nvda stays quiet.

Pete

yes I have noticed this.
sometimes its faster depending on the net.
I try to get as much stuff done in the morning as the afternoon and evening seems to be the worst time to brouse.
I have killed a few addons and such.
However nvda has crashed a lot with ff.
That doesn't mean I waill abandon it though, its better than ie and chrome I don't know if I would trust it or not.
Pluss firefox is still good for what I want.

On 27/03/2016 3:10 a.m., Felix G. wrote:
[...]

I noticed performance issues with Firefox as well, but not just with NVDA, but Jaws as well, especially on Facebook where the browser lags. Firefox seemed to perform poorly on my Surface 3, despite not having any addons installed.

Kevin Chao

One of Chrome's strengths is performance...I experience 0% lag with MVDA when interacting with modern web apps.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 5:11 PM Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@...> wrote:
I noticed performance issues with Firefox as well, but not just with NVDA, but Jaws as well, especially on Facebook where the browser lags. Firefox seemed to perform poorly on my Surface 3, despite not having any addons installed.

The only problem with Chrome that I've noticed is that, NVDA and Jaws fail to read the text I typed into an edit box. I experienced this on Facebook, not sure about other websites though.

Kevin Chao

Textarea bug is fixed in Canary

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 7:36 PM Kevin Chao <kevinchao89@...> wrote:
Textarea bug is fixed in Canary
On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 7:21 PM Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@...> wrote:
The only problem with Chrome that I've noticed is that, NVDA and Jaws fail to read the text I typed into an edit box. I experienced this on Facebook, not sure about other websites though.

Hi, thanks for the link! I'm downloading and installing it right now.

Question...will the fix be present in future Google Chrome stable release?

Kevin Chao

Fixes for textarea, settings, etc. that are present in Canary V51 will be made available in production-stable in V51--2 versions away.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 8:08 PM Supanut Leepaisomboon <supanut2000@...> wrote:

Hi, thanks for the link! I'm downloading and installing it right now.

Question...will the fix be present in future Google Chrome stable release?

Hi, thanks for the info; maybe when Chrome 51 is out in the stable channel I may switch to Chrome instead...

Dejan Ristic

Yes, I have experienced it, too. I do not know whether Jaws users have been experiencing it, too. It would be good to compare both the screen readers with regard to Mozilla Firefox, so that an issue concerning this may be considered, and it may also be found out whether the issue comes from either NVDA or Jaws, or even Mozilla Firefox itself.

On 3/26/2016 3:10 PM, Felix G. wrote:
Hello list!
Is anyone else experiencing sluggish behavior in Firefox 45? Specifically, the following occurs for me with NVDA, but may or may not be related to NVDA of course:
- NVDA randomly repeating the Window title
- Navigation sometimes bounces back to the previously selected element if I go too fast. When navigating very slowly this does not occur. By navigation, I refer to the arrow keys and also to quick nav keys like h for heading and k for link.
- Responsiveness is generally slow when arrowing around in complex web pages like Facebook, Youtube etc.
I am suspecting NVDA is involved to some extent as the affected key commands are interpreted by NVDA rather than by FF.
Has anyone experienced this, and found a way to recover?
Kind regards and happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it,
Felix Grützmacher

No threats detected. www.avast.com

Felix G.

Hi!
Accessibility-wise, Chrome remains out of the question for me. I type an URL and hit enter, and the website will not be navigated to automatically by the screen reader. I have to do NVDA+F5 and sometimes tab, f6 and such. It's hit or miss, and more miss than hit. Others, strangely enough, seem blissfully unaffected by all this while I keep running into it on every system. Whatever it is I'm doing wrong, it seems difficult to pin down. Suggestions appreciated, though.
Seems we're headed for a browser crisis.
Kind regards,
Felix Grützmacher

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 at 10:37 Dejan Ristic <r.dejan83@...> wrote:
[...]

Quick update: It gets stranger still.
After updating to the Canary version of Chrome, I get the message "unknown" repeatedly, easily five or more times, every time I navigate using a link or url. Also, using the arrow keys in focus mode on inbox.google.com announces the element I am leaving, not the one I am navigating to. Observed on two systems. Back to IE it is, at least until MS lets us use Edge. Why in the case of Edge they regard accessibility as something to retrofit into a product once everything else is dealt with is anyone's guess. It's more expensive this way.
Kind regards,
Felix Grützmacher

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 at 11:27 Felix G. <constantlyvariable@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris

I dont understand it either its just rubbish acessibility wise and even after some tweaking its still rubbish i just dont get it either :D
lol

On 27/03/2016 10:27, Felix G. wrote:
[...]

Gene

Microsoft isn't necessarily retrofitting it.  When Edge was released, it wasn't complete and at least one review and I would imagine more, state that it is not finished yet and that it will be a good browser when it is but that it still has rough spots currently.

[...]

Mr. Wong Chi Wai <cwwong.pro@...>

I see no problem with NVDA. I recommend you go onto google and search for about:config that can help improve firefox performace and that pretty helps.

Kevin Chao 於 27/3/2016 10:13 寫道: