Phonetic Pronunciation for Vernacular Languages

Sanjog Kumawat

Hello,

I am using NVDA 2020.4 and Windows 10 Home. Few days back, there was a discussion on phonetic description of a character and how NVDA can announce the character and it’s phonetic pronunciation. I was using the shortcut NVDA + . (fullstop) twice to hear the phonetic pronunciation. The shortcut and the “Enhanced Phonetic Reading” add-on is working fine everywhere when it comes to English.

However, NVDA fails to report the phonetic pronunciation/description of a letter typed in Hindi or Marathi except when typed in Microsoft Word. I am using Office 365. When I write anything in Notepad for example, NVDA does not report the phonetic pronunciation. It used to report in the older versions like 2020.1. What could be the reason? Is there anything I can do that will solve this problem?

Regards,

Sanjog Kumawat

Luke Davis

Does it work with all add-ons disabled? (In the NVDA exit dialog, select "restart with add-ons disabled".)

Luke

Sanjog Kumawat wrote:

However, NVDA fails to report the phonetic pronunciation/description of a letter typed in Hindi or Marathi except when typed in Microsoft Word. I am using
Office 365. When I write anything in Notepad for example, NVDA does not report the phonetic pronunciation. It used to report in the older versions like
2020.1. What could be the reason? Is there anything I can do that will solve this problem?

Sanjog Kumawat

Hello,

It does not work with all add-ons disabled. The phonetic pronunciation of vernacular characters is possible only in Microsoft Word. I tried with disabling all add-ons as well as changing the synthesizers. I have used Code Factory Vocalizer Voices, espeak, Microsoft API Version 5 and Windows 1 Core Voices.

Regards,

Sanjog

Sanjog Kumawat wrote:

> However, NVDA fails to report the phonetic pronunciation/description of a letter typed in Hindi or Marathi except when typed in Microsoft Word. I am using

> Office 365. When I write anything in Notepad for example, NVDA does not report the phonetic pronunciation. It used to report in the older versions like

> 2020.1. What could be the reason? Is there anything I can do that will solve this problem?

Gene

I’m not sure what command you are using.  If you are using the default desktop keyboard layout, try, with the numlock off, pressing numpad 2 two times quickly when you are on a letter.  What happens?  Also, does vernacular languages mean you are trying this with different languages?

I don’t know if NVDA responds differently with different languages.

Gene

Sanjog Kumawat wrote:

> However, NVDA fails to report the phonetic pronunciation/description of a letter typed in Hindi or Marathi except when typed in Microsoft Word. I am using

> Office 365. When I write anything in Notepad for example, NVDA does not report the phonetic pronunciation. It used to report in the older versions like

> 2020.1. What could be the reason? Is there anything I can do that will solve this problem?

Ben J. Bloomgren

Sanjog,

NVDA 2021 doesn't report those phonetics either. I think that it has to do with the fact that non-Latin scripts often don't assign phonetics to each letter or syllable of their script.

Ben

On Jun 16, 2021, at 05:09, Sanjog Kumawat <sanjogkumawat@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Ben and Gene,

Thank you for the quick response. Gene, by vernacular I mean I am using different languages, mostly Indian language’s like Hindi and Marathi. I use laptop layout and the shortcut is NVDA + . twice. It reports the phenetic meaning of the character when the letter is in English.

Ben, I agree with you. However, it used to work on the older versions of NVDA. It stopped suddenly from NVDA 2020 versions.

Regards,

Sanjog

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

You need to report this to the NVDA developers, particularly including the fact that it used to work before in earlier versions.

File a bug issue at:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues

Luke