Please update Enhanced Phonetic Reading App

tim

FYI,

Jaws only updates within the currant version you have installed.

If its a new version like 21 to 22 then you get a new folder with that version in it and the other version still works unless you remove it.

I have worked on boxes with more than one version of jaws on them, because that is how it does things.

On7/20/2022 6:34 PM, Gene wrote:

Perhaps the update function should present a screen explaining why this is important to do and giving users the opportunity to answer yes or no to having it done.  I don't think most users would think about this themselves.  My objection to updates of this kind is that they remove the previous version.  That is why, if I used JAWS to any extent, I'd probably install a completely new version and not use the update function, thus leaving the old version on the machine in case I want to use it.

Gene

On 7/20/2022 4:49 PM, Gene wrote:
Before updating NVDA, I would recommend creating a portable version of the current version you are using.  Then, if the updated installed version has problems, you can use the portable version and, in a case like this, continue to use the add-on without disruption.

Gene

On 7/20/2022 4:33 PM, Janet Brandly wrote:

Hi Joseph,

Please tell us more. I’d like to get this function back ASAP.

Janet

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: July 20, 2022 2:29 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Please update Enhanced Phonetic Reading App

Hi,

A game changer feature was just added to NVDA - ask me privately please.

Cheers,

Joseph

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 03:22 AM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
The weird way these groups have been behaving recently, often means older messages in a thread can take several house to appear in somebody's email inbox.
-
Brian,

I have grown tired of this excuse, and that's what it is, too.   As administrator on several groups, and a years long participant on many more, I can count on less than two hands the times a message was delayed to anyone by anything more than a few minutes.

I have no reason to presume the odd one-off in general, and won't.  Too many members here, and elsewhere, just do not pay attention and when I (or anyone else) offers a direct answer to their query, and it's ignored well after other members have already commented on seeing it and it having worked, there's reason to be upset when the query is repeated.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.

~ Dorothy Nevill

Janet Brandly

Hi Joseph,

So can I update this app from the info Brian provided? I’m using Windows 10 with the latest version of NVDA with the MS Richard voice, if that helps.

Thanks,

Janet

Sent: July 20, 2022 7:00 PM

Hi,

The criticism and rebuke are warranted - I apologize for making things messier, especially to Janet for not showing professionalism in my answer earlier.

While the add-on was updated on Spanish community add-ons catalog (sometimes called nvda-addons.org), a few weeks ago I did ask community add-ons people to review the latest version of Enhanced Phonetic Reading compatible with NVDA 2022.1. I did update this request, noting that this feature is now part of NVDA, but the add-on author reminded me that there are internal differences between how the add-on does things and the method employed in NVDA. Whereas the add-on uses a timer to measure how long it should delay before announcing character descriptions, NVDA uses a synthesizer command to achieve this. The biggest concern from the add-on author (not me) is speech synthesizer add-on differences - not all speech synthesizers are compatible with recent NVDA releases, or if they are compatible, they do not implement a key piece that NVDA wants to use. As part of delayed character description work, SAPI4 synthesizer code was edited to support the key piece needed to support delayed character descriptions. As NVDA uses synthesizer (more towards speech) commands, one thing you will notice is that some speech synthesizers (notably Microsoft SAPI5) will have a slightly more delay when reading characters phonetically than other speech synthesizers (tested with eSpeak NG, SAPI5, Windows OneCore, Nuance Vocalizer, all of them supporting this feature).

If things went as planned, Enhanced Phonetic Reading compatible with NVDA 2022.1 would have been in your hands by now, but the request I posted about it are awaiting review and approval from community add-ons folks at the moment. The add-on author (again not I) and NVDA folks had a lengthy debate about implementation issues surrounding this feature. I concur with the add-on author on the point about speech synthesizer add-on updates and maintenance, and these add-ons are more sensitive to compatibility breaking changes as some deal with speech internals.

Again my apologies for making things difficult.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

If you want, yes, or you can wait until Add-on Updater 22.08 (next week) which will provide an easier way to check for updates for add-ons coming from different repositories.

Cheers,

Joseph

Janet Brandly

Thanks Joseph, I’ll wait until next week.

Janet

Sent: July 22, 2022 9:58 AM

Hi,

If you want, yes, or you can wait until Add-on Updater 22.08 (next week) which will provide an easier way to check for updates for add-ons coming from different repositories.

Cheers,

Joseph