Topics

Possible to Push Files on a PC using Remote Access?

Kenny

Hello,

Been tinkering a bit with the NVDA Remote Access Add-on, and really love it.

Especially love the ability to set the add-on to auto connect to a client's PC immediately after NVDA has launched. Very very useful for controlling my home PC when on vacation.

Do have a question regarding the Push Clipboard feature?

I'm able to successfully push text copied to my controller PC's clipboard to the PC being controlled, but not files?

I figured when you use the [Control]+[c] keyboard shortcut to copy files to the clipboard, I could place them on the client's PC using the same Push Clipboard option?

Doesn't work.

Maybe I'm missing a step or something here, so I'm coming to the list for guidance.

If the NVDA Remote Access add-on isn't able to perform such actions, is there another remote app I can use that does allow this type of file copying flexibility? Copying files from the server PC to the client's PC.

I'm using:

NVDA Version: 2020.2beta1

Windows Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.329)

on a high-end Dell XPS PC.

Thanks for any assistance.

-Kenny

Chris Mullins

Hi

You can only push text.  If you read the help file associated with the Remote add-on, it does say specifically that you can push text from either side of the connection, there is no mention of files.

Cheers

Chris

[...]

Yes, I did review that little snippet Chris. Just was hoping someone here has figured out a way to do this remotely using some sort of workaround. I feel the Push Clipboard option should allow this in my opinion.

I've temporarily setup a folder on OneDrive that is shared with the Client PC. Just was hoping there was something that allowed the copying of files from one Server to the Client when using a remote Direct PC-to-PC connection.

On 6/21/2020 3:41 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

[...]

Richard Wells

The way I get files to where I want them is to put them in my favorite
Internet based file storage and push the link to the client machine. I
do it with Dropbox by choosing copy link and changing the dl=0 to dl=1
when I get the http link and the file downloads on the client machine in
the user's default browser.

On 6/21/2020 2:33 PM, Kenny wrote:
[...]

It would require some work by the remote add-on developers.  This technology pushes the clipboard contents to the remote computer’s clipboard then allows you to switch to the remote computer and paste in the clipboard contents wherever you want.  When you use the clipboard to move files around it copies the file address to the clipboard then allows you to copy/move it locally.  When you use the paste command on the remote computer, you are addressing that computer.  Windows has no way of knowing you are referencing a file on a  remotely linked computer, so file addresses copied from your local machine would b meaningless.

Cheers

Chris

[...]

Luke Davis

Kenny

Thanks Luke for sharing this link.

Looks like TeamViewer would be a viable option for me to push files from one PC to another during a Direct Remote session.

Just hoping it allows the seemless use of a screenreader to be controlled through the remote session. One of the reasons why I wish the NVDA Remote Access add-on provided this functionality.

Guess I'll find out in a few minutes when I begin to use it.

On 6/22/2020 2:41 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
This was discussed extensively earlier this month on this list. Archive link here:

https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/sends_the_contents_of_the/74709910?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate/sticky,,,20,2,40,74709910