Potential accessibility issues with disk manager on windows 10

Hello list. The subject says it all.

How do you partition and format an external USB drive using disk manager on Windows 10?

I expected it to be its own application, or somewhere in the settings app. In most of these cases, the process would be perfectly accessible. A colleague has told me that this is a MMC (Microsoft Management Console) based application. This particular process seems to be more flexible from a GUI based perspective, but, not from a keyboard users point of view. I could use command line diskpart. I am trying to avoid doing things in a potentially nonstandard way.

JM Casey

As far as I know both diskpart and disk management are perfectly usable with the keyboard.Granted I haven’t tried everything.

Why do you not want to use command line?

The .msc consoles are all accessible though aren’t they?

How do you partition and format an external USB drive using disk manager on Windows 10?

I expected it to be its own application, or somewhere in the settings app. In most of these cases, the process would be perfectly accessible. A colleague has told me that this is a MMC (Microsoft Management Console) based application. This particular process seems to be more flexible from a GUI based perspective, but, not from a keyboard users point of view. I could use command line diskpart. I am trying to avoid doing things in a potentially nonstandard way.

tim

Use disk part in commandline. Very accessible and does what it claims.

On 9/22/2022 1:33 PM, Governor staten wrote:

Hello list. The subject says it all.

How do you partition and format an external USB drive using disk manager on Windows 10?

I expected it to be its own application, or somewhere in the settings app. In most of these cases, the process would be perfectly accessible. A colleague has told me that this is a MMC (Microsoft Management Console) based application. This particular process seems to be more flexible from a GUI based perspective, but, not from a keyboard users point of view. I could use command line diskpart. I am trying to avoid doing things in a potentially nonstandard way.

Bob Cavanaugh

I've done it before, it's actually pretty simple. This interface
hasn't really changed much since Windows 7.

On 9/22/22, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello list. The subject says it all.

How do you partition and format an external USB drive using disk manager
on Windows 10?

I expected it to be its own application, or somewhere in the settings
app. In most of these cases, the process would be perfectly accessible.
A colleague has told me that this is a MMC (Microsoft Management
Console) based application. This particular process seems to be more
flexible from a GUI based perspective, but, not from a keyboard users
point of view. I could use command line diskpart. I am trying to avoid
doing things in a potentially nonstandard way.

Does the type of drive change the process? Did you do it with NVDA?

On 9/22/2022 2:33 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
I've done it before, it's actually pretty simple. This interface
hasn't really changed much since Windows 7.

On 9/22/22, Governor staten <govsta@...> wrote:
Hello list. The subject says it all.

How do you partition and format an external USB drive using disk manager
on Windows 10?

I expected it to be its own application, or somewhere in the settings
app. In most of these cases, the process would be perfectly accessible.
A colleague has told me that this is a MMC (Microsoft Management
Console) based application. This particular process seems to be more
flexible from a GUI based perspective, but, not from a keyboard users
point of view. I could use command line diskpart. I am trying to avoid
doing things in a potentially nonstandard way.

Bob Cavanaugh

Yes I did, not sure if the process changes or not. I used an external
hard drive.

[...]

My colleague is doing the same thing.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 02:33 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
This interface hasn't really changed much since Windows 7.
-
Even earlier than that.  But I've always disliked Windows own disk management when it comes to partitioning drives, and prefer third-party alternatives, particularly if I'm trying to resize/rearrange partitions on a drive.  I can't speak to which are or are not accessible, though, as I've never assessed that.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

leandro da cruz

It would be better if I did everything by command through CMD what do you think?

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 12:20 PM, leandro da cruz wrote:
be better if I did everything by command through CMD what do you think?
-
If you understand how to use the diskpart command, then, yes, as it gives you perfect control with no GUI.

Personally, I'd lay out what I need to do as a command script in a BAT file, then run that.  As an example, I give instructions when doing a completely clean install of Windows 10 or 11 for wiping the disk beforehand, which in that case you do by hand at the time, but those commands could be placed in a BAT file.
-----
diskpart
select disk {correct number, which you've checked manually in command prompt just before you run this script and replace it here}
clean
convert gpt
exit
-----

See the following references (and there are thousands more that exist on the web):
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/diskpart
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/list-of-diskpart-commands-windows
https://www.lifewire.com/diskpart-command-2625864

I personally hate the GUI for disk manager and don't use it.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

My colleague figured everything out. He didn't give me excruciating details, however.

On 9/22/2022 1:39 PM, JM Casey wrote:

As far as I know both diskpart and disk management are perfectly usable with the keyboard.Granted I haven’t tried everything.

Why do you not want to use command line?

The .msc consoles are all accessible though aren’t they?

How do you partition and format an external USB drive using disk manager on Windows 10?

I expected it to be its own application, or somewhere in the settings app. In most of these cases, the process would be perfectly accessible. A colleague has told me that this is a MMC (Microsoft Management Console) based application. This particular process seems to be more flexible from a GUI based perspective, but, not from a keyboard users point of view. I could use command line diskpart. I am trying to avoid doing things in a potentially nonstandard way.

Tom Moore

Hi,

I was able to figure out how to get my drive working.

I was unable to figure out how to partition the drive with in disk manager so  I just used Diskpart to create the partition I needed and format it.

Tom