Topics

Premature Forced Updates [Was "nvda Windows 10 Upgrade and Windows 10 App Essentials]

Marquette, Ed

Indeed, a forced upgrade ought to be a rare occurrence.  It should be remembered that updating to the latest version of Windows is often not an individual user’s choice.  Many organizations, in fact, most organizations I know about, deliberately stay at least one update (and sometimes two updates) behind.  One reason I’m told is that organizations are loathed to expend resources to update scores or hundreds of computers without a pretty strong reason, particularly since the interconnectivity of enterprise software is frequently affected by upgrades.  IT Departments tend to test upgrades pretty extensively before deploying them.  Often, an upgrade of Windows will be coordinated with an upgrade of Office too.  The second reason given is that new releases of anything tends to have bugs.  Waiting until the bugs are corrected seems like a wise choice.

I’m not sure I agree with either of the reasons, and I sometimes think they are really excuses, but I cannot say the reasoning is seriously flawed.

The point is that upgrades are simply not possible for some of us who are stuck in a system where individuals do not have administrative privileges and, therefore, cannot upgrade when they would like.

This E-mail message is confidential, is intended only for the named recipients above and may contain information that is privileged, attorney work product or otherwise protected by applicable law. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender at 402-346-6000 and delete this E-mail message. Thank you.

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 05:15 AM, Marquette, Ed wrote:
The point is that upgrades are simply not possible for some of us who are stuck in a system where individuals do not have administrative privileges and, therefore, cannot upgrade when they would like.
Been there.  That being said, this generally applies to everything.  You're "stuck in a time delay" on every blessed piece of software in the ecosystem and automatic updating of anything is not permitted to take place.  Thus, you're not presented with a situation where NVDA and/or its add-ons can update while the operating system can't.  The IT department centrally controls it all.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

Science has become just another voice in the room; it has lost its platform.  Now, you simply declare your own truth.

~ Dr. Paul A. Offit, in New York Times article, How Anti-Vaccine Sentiment Took Hold in the United States, September 23, 2019