Topics

Presenting using Microsoft powerpoint 2016 and nvda

Azra Tayebi

Hi everyone,

I have a question related to nvda and presentation using powerpoint 2016. Part of my job is to teach different workshops. I have to use powerpoint for my presentations ( or I can start using something else if I know that would work better)

My main problem at the moment is that when my computer is connected to the screen via HDMI cable  and I put my slide on  presentation view, nvda does not read the slides to me any more.

If I use the presentation view without hdmi cable it does work fine.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

I appreciate any help.

Greetings,

Azra,

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

My guess, and this is all it is, is that you're using the HDMI only for the video from the presentation, not sound.  Generally, when you plug in an HDMI cable, Windows will switch both the video and sound output to go through HDMI, as it can handle both, if the HDMI device is on.  The first thing I'd check is whether you have sound through that device and make sure it's on, even if you want to switch sound back to the computer, so you can hear what's going on if possible.

The first thing I'd check, after plugging in the cable, is what's the state of your sound output.   I can give you one way to do it, but I don't know how helpful it will be if you don't have sound, as NVDA (or any screen reader) won't be reading for you such that you can hear it until you make the tweak:

1.  Hit WinKey+B to throw focus to the system tray then right arrow over to your volume control.  Try this before you ever connect HDMI so you know how many right arrow presses it will take.  When HDMI is not attached NVDA will announce, "Speaker/Headphones," followed by the percentage volume is set at.  If the HDMI cable is plugged in, you will likely hear nothing or, if you do have sound through the HDMI device, it's name will be announced with its percentage.

2. Hit spacebar to open sound control then hit Tab, at which point you'll hear something like, "Select playback device toggle button - not pressed."

3. Hit spacebar to activate the playback device toggle button, at which point the list of playback devices is presented and NVDA announces, "Select playback device collapsed," (and why it says "collapsed" is a mystery to me, as the list is expanded).

4. Hit Tab to get into the selection list.  Then up/down arrow back to the Speakers/Headphones item and hit spacebar to confirm the selection.

Sound should now be switched back to coming from your computer's speakers or, if you have headphones plugged in, the headphones.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Jens Gierke

Hi,

there might be two problems:

As HDMI can transport video and audio signals, it could be possible that
Windows switches the sound output device to the beamer (even if the
beamer doesn't have speakers). If this happens, a sighted person has to
switch the output device back to your headphone (right click on the
speaker symbol in the systray).

Another problem could be a special view Powerpoint provides. I'm using a
german Powerpoint so I unfortunately can't tell you how the option is
called in English. On the ribbon "presentation" there is an option which
shows a special view of the presentation - but only if there is an
external display or beamer connected. If this option is enabled, you
have a special view on your notebook which includes a preview on the
next slide, a clock, etc. With this special view, NVDA doesn't work. You
just have to disable this option.

I hope I could help you a bit.

Best regards,
Jens

Am 04.06.2019 um 14:18 schrieb Azra Tayebi:

Hi everyone,
I have a question related to nvda and presentation using powerpoint 2016. Part of my job is to teach different workshops. I have to use powerpoint for my presentations ( or I can start using something else if I know that would work better)
My main problem at the moment is that when my computer is connected to the screen via HDMI cable and I put my slide on presentation view, nvda does not read the slides to me any more.
If I use the presentation view without hdmi cable it does work fine.
Does anyone have a solution for this?
I appreciate any help.
Greetings,
Azra,

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Azra Tayebi

Hi all,

Thanks for these answers. Sorry I was not clear enough. I do hear the sound through my computer. In fact I have done what you have said to hear the computer through computer, because not only my audience is usually not intrested to hear every slide read to them, but also because many times the sound coming through hdmi cable is a bit slow .

SO I do hear nvda talking, but I cannot hear it says the slides content in the present view, as it does if hdmi is not connected.

I guess the thing you said about the special view must be the problem. I will try to find that out.

Thanks so much again to both of You,

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 04:11 AM, Azra Tayebi wrote:
I guess the thing you said about the special view must be the problem. I will try to find that out.
And you need not use the actual slide show, it just makes the presentation more attractive and with zero visual clutter outside the slide itself.  But, if you're the presenter and you need that input that cannot be obtained in slide show mode, the audience can certainly deal with seeing the slides down the edge of the screen other than the one you're presenting at the moment, etc.  This is a case where style definitely doesn't take precedence over substance, which the presenter needs to present and which the audience is there to absorb.

        ~ H.L. Mencken

Pascal Lambert <coccinelle86@...>

Hi,

Many years ago, when I did presentations to Army Commanders, I used Microsoft Word to prepare my slides and provided print copies when it was a small group.  In a large group, I used a projector to give the presentation.  As Brian said, the info is what my Commanders were interested in and paid attention to not the graphic enhancements.  So if there is a way to present the info with PowerPoint that overcome the technical hurdles, that is what matters.

Blessings

Pascal